- - - - -

Adjusting Neck/Sound 2005 Jackson RR3

6 replies to this topic

#1 markfothebeast

markfothebeast
  • 6 posts
  • Original Name: markfothebeast

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

I purchased this jackson RR3 new from GC back in 05' after I unfortunately sold my 1998 Jackson Dinky Reverse. I've been disappointed with the Duncan pickups, the action, and the overall playability. So I hardly played it.

I dusted it off last summer and began to learn how to adjust truss rods in my guitars and the action of the necks. I have a truss rod ruler thingy. I did a little adjustment to the Jackson but I'd like to set it up to play like the older Jackson models. All of the newer guitars i've purchased after 2002ish seem to lack the quality of the older models.

I'd like to start with the electronic wiring in this Jackson. Can I change the wiring to get a heavier sound out of the bridge pickup? The neck Duncan sounds fine. I swapped out the bridge pickup for a higher output unit. I've just read about so many different wiring configurations i'm not sure which is best.

298ed23b308d88aceb6bc67cd8a65370.jpg

#2 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,503 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

There's things you can do like coil taps, out of phase etc. but i find the most powerful sound comes from the standard wiring.

#3 markfothebeast

markfothebeast
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

Hi Dave. The stock bridge Duncan TB4 humbucker just didn't have the oomph I was looking for. It was a bit too chunky sounding and lacked the highs.

I put in an Entwhistle X2 pickup at the bridge, adjusted the truss (it was a bit off), lowered the action, and adjusted the intonation. It plays like the Jacksons I had back in the day.

I have to give the Entwhistle X2 pickup some credit for the price. This thing sounds great. When I need the nice, clean sound I switch to the neck Duncan TB4.

One thing about the neck Duncan TB4 I noticed is that the green wire is wired as the positive. Duncans wiring diagram(s) show the green as negative. I don't know if the neck pickup was wired out of phase accidently or if this how the polarity is in Korean built guitars.

I am now soldering in two toggle switches for each pickup (4 total); a coil split and an in/out of phase switch. I'd like to get the Telecaster single coil style sound when I flip the coil split switch. I'm hoping to get more highs for leads with the bridge pickup out of phase. I'm going to try the "Killswitch" with an On/On toggle also.

The problem I have on two Jackson guitars at the moment is the Floyd Rose breaking the high E string. I've had two high E strings break on the other Jackson as well as a new high E on the Jackson RR. It snaps right on the block/saddle thing in the tremolo. I took a small file and smoothed the edge in which the string seems to be breaking on. Do you think this could be because the Floyd Rose tremolo is too high on one side creating more tension on the high E?

Additionally, I've been having issues with the guitar staying in tune. Even after the strings have been stretched. It's a nightmare having to remove the locking nuts when the bridge tuners are turned in or out all the way. Any advice would be helpful.

1880a295a4eef7df5178300a637161a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#4 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,503 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

If that was my guitar it would probably get a Dimarzio. Just personal choice. I've only ever owned one Jackson, and it was a RR. A really low end one. I've owned a few Charvels.

#5 markfothebeast

markfothebeast
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

I managed to get the guitar all buttoned up on the electronics end. I pretty much had to re-educate myself on soldering. If I had to do it again I would have mounted everything in the pick guard first and than soldered the wiring because of the TINY space.

I accidently broke a volume pot by soldering too hot. Than I realized the poor quality of the pots and 3-way pickup switch. I picked up USA made 500k mini pots. This on its own seemed to change the sound quality drastically.

The split coil on the neck pickup worked out pretty well. I get somewhat of a Telecaster sound. The sound output is a bit lower.

The in/out of phase switching surprised me a bit. It doesn't seem to affect the sound quality but is more like switching mids/highs/lows around.

I eliminated one volume pot so I have just a master volume pot. I put a toggle "kill switch" in. This works so slick I'm going to put one on all my guitars.

I could still use some pointers on keeping the guitar in tune. I'm wondering if the strings are sliding out of the "block" as I'm playing? I had the G string fall right out. I have the bridge that requires the end of the string without the ball to tighten in to the bridge.

#6 markfothebeast

markfothebeast
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

I have came back for another question about a Jackson I received (in another post). However, here is an update on the RR. It is finished. But the Floyd Rose on this model is not pleasant like the previous Jacksons. I really like the Ibanez Edge tremolos but the price is unrealistic.

How did I manage to wire up all of these fantastic switches in this tiny Jackson you may wonder? Patience my friend. And lots of it. I bought multiple mini-toggle On/On switches from my awesomely supportive local guitar shop (Tree Strings in Red Wing, MN). I had to improvise and sweat for awhile since I didn't think the toggles through. But in the end I can make multiple sounds without swapping guitars during a gig. Switches below:

-Killswitch (Love it)
-In-Out Phase - Neck
-Coil Split - Neck
-In-Out Phase - Bridge
-USA Made Pots (Huge improvement)

714f96c9b94ebd22ed41ab16c5baa9c3.jpg

#7 markfothebeast

markfothebeast
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

And an FYI for some Jackson Japan built guitar enthusiasts: The GREEN wire MAY be POSITIVE like this guitar. Both pickups were wired with green hots and black grounds (assuming this one is Japan built).

Meaning that the BLACK wire is soldered to a pot and the GREEN to a terminal or output.

Edited by markfothebeast, 06 March 2017 - 08:28 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...