12 replies to this topic

#1 Derf!

Derf!
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,052 posts
  • Original Name: TheDerf

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Because I'm bored, and because I never read anything that isn't Calvin and Hobbes or some version of Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader while I'm on the toilet, I ask you this! What'cha reading, GTU? Anything recommend worthy?

Are there even people here anymore? Shit, maybe it's just you and me now, fractured psyche. The fuck we gonna do now?

#2 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,771 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:54 AM

I haven't really read heavily since the end of my degree. Something about the stacks of requisite books in a history programme, I suspect. 

That said, I do have tons of recommendations if you're into dark Russian tomes. Check out Andrei Bely's Petersburg for patricide, time bombs, and a brilliant depiction of the city as almost a character in the book. 

If you're into something a bit shorter, check out Chekhov's short stories. He's the master of the genre in the opinion of many. 

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#3 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,704 posts
  • Original Name: GilmourIsGod

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

I picked up Leaves of Grass at a thrift store for 4 bucks the other day. It's pretty enjoyable so far.

#4 Derf!

Derf!
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,052 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

I haven't really read heavily since the end of my degree. Something about the stacks of requisite books in a history programme, I suspect. 

That said, I do have tons of recommendations if you're into dark Russian tomes. Check out Andrei Bely's Petersburg for patricide, time bombs, and a brilliant depiction of the city as almost a character in the book. 

If you're into something a bit shorter, check out Chekhov's short stories. He's the master of the genre in the opinion of many. 

I don't have to learn any other languages for these, do I? I'm still struggling with English and I've been on it for 30 years. 

#5 TheNewSponge

TheNewSponge
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  • Original Name: TheNewSponge

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

I'm currently reading: 

Catch 22

The Fellowship Of the Ring

100 Years of Solitude

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing

A guide to canning and preserving

A biography of Elon Musk. 

But I am a damn slow reader, so there is a good chance I'll still be reading most of these in a year... 

#6 Jay Kay

Jay Kay
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Original Name: ReditusMusic

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

I'm reading IT again and 33 questions you're not supposed to ask about US History

#7 richey

richey
  • 34,159 posts
  • Original Name: richey

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

I'm currently reading a novel called 'False Nine' by Philip Kerr. It's a thriller about a football manager (football fans will recognise the title as a position/tactic). I'm only up to about page 50 but it's not great so far. I'll persist with it and see how it goes.

If you want something recommended, my favourites are probably 'On The Road' by Kerouac, 'High Fidelity' by Hornby and 'Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas' by Hunter S. Thompson. Can't go wrong with those. 

My anger is a form of madness
And so I'd rather have hope than sadness

#8 Jay Kay

Jay Kay
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Original Name: ReditusMusic

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas is great

#9 spacecrumbs

spacecrumbs
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,367 posts
  • Original Name: spacecrumbs

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

GTU

#10 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,771 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

I don't have to learn any other languages for these, do I? I'm still struggling with English and I've been on it for 30 years. 

Nah. Super accessible. Especially Chekhov. He has a sweet statute in Tomsk that I've visited. You rub his nose for goodluck, so his nose is exceptionally shiny. In the background is a nuclear weapons facility. Very Russian. 

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#11 Derf!

Derf!
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,052 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Like, The Russianest. Makes me pine for the mother land. 

I'm not from there, but I pine. OH, the pining I am doing.

I'm currently reading: 

Catch 22

The Fellowship Of the Ring

100 Years of Solitude

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing

A guide to canning and preserving

A biography of Elon Musk. 

But I am a damn slow reader, so there is a good chance I'll still be reading most of these in a year... 

You and me both. I started The 39 Steps back in February and I'm only halfway through. 

Hmm, then again I did read that half in an evening so eh...I'm lazy? Easily distracted? Whatevs. So it's not you and me both, I guess. Just slow you and lazy me. But WE GOT A CHANCE, ARCHIE! IF WE JUST FIGHT FOR THAT LOVE(of books), WE HAVE A CHANCE! etc

GTU

Aww man, I love that one. What part are you at? I think my favourite part might have been when all the super cool lesbians were talking still. It made conversation easier for the Derf character knowing there was zero chance for feelings to develop and ruin everything. Good times. I can never read the end though...too sad. 

#12 redharmony

redharmony

shreddin' the blues

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts
  • Original Name: redharmony

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

i recently finished "Insanely Simple", and it might be a bit of an esoteric subject but if you're interested in the creative/marketing processes of Apple its a good read. some good stories about Jobs in there too

I used to shred, now I draw. 

#13 Fender2.0

Fender2.0

Brandon

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Original Name: fenderguitarfreak

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:46 AM

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas is great

I actually bought this in Seattle when I last visited in February. I've yet to read it, but I will eventually get around to it. Reading sounds nice, but I really suck at getting around to actually doing it. 

The last book I read is It's Your Ship. It's an autobiography about Michael Abrashoff, who is the former commander of the U.S.S. Benefold, a warship in the Navy. He was a great leader who transformed the Navy and the way they do things to this day.

------------------------------------------------

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...