- - - - -

Effects 101Lots of Effects-related info

90 replies to this topic

#61 indyguitarist

indyguitarist
  • 11 posts
  • Original Name: indyguitarist

Posted 09 October 2003 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (scmaxson @ Mar 13 2003, 07:05 PM)
I just got a Squier Strat.  When I play the higher pitched strings with distortion it does not really sound distorted at all.  I was wondering if there is anything I can do about this or if it is just because I have a cheap guitar.  Thanks.

try raising the height of your pickups under the high strings (e,b,g). That should help quite a bit. Also, remember that it is also going to depend on what other components your playing through....pedals? Amp? Cables? New strings/old strings?

Brian

#62 joshsmog

joshsmog
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Original Name: joshsmog

Posted 10 October 2003 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (onstandby @ Oct 7 2003, 01:13 PM)
can you explain what exactly the leslie effect is?

leslies are a big speaker cab with a motor in it that spins it around so a leslie effect would be a rotating speaker effect.

Edited by joshsmog, 10 October 2003 - 01:07 AM.

#63 KaZu

KaZu

King Kong

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,772 posts
  • Original Name: KaZu

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:49 AM

I like all of these technical stuff cool.gif

#64 analogtoneman

analogtoneman
  • 4 posts
  • Original Name: analogtoneman

Posted 22 February 2004 - 09:37 PM

cool.gif The funkyest effect I have ever heard is, without a doubt, the Pigtronix EP-1 Envelope Phaser.

The EP-1 is a Phaser that is touch sensitive or rate controlled with a foot pedal, much like a leslie.

The guitarist from Maroon 5 was using one on SNL last night.

Pigtronix Futuristic Analog Technology

Has anyone else heard of this company?

Edited by analogtoneman, 22 February 2004 - 09:40 PM.

#65 indyguitarist

indyguitarist
  • 11 posts
  • Original Name: indyguitarist

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (halfmoonbay @ Sep 5 2002, 07:42 AM)
Nice one. It'd be nice to see some stuff on pedal construction/mods.

Click Here to learn about modding guitar pedals

and

Click Here to learn about effects, how to set them to get great tone

Brian

Edited by indyguitarist, 23 February 2004 - 04:56 AM.

#66 lyra14

lyra14
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Original Name: lyra14

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:10 AM

Hey Skm, nice work. I posted a thread a while ago about delay pedals but didn't get an answer- exactly how do the analog and digital ones work, and as well I've seen a few that have a feedback dial on them. How do the functions on a delay work? Thank you,

Andrew

#67 brotherbuttcrack

brotherbuttcrack
  • 11 posts
  • Original Name: brotherbuttcrack

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (desertninja @ Nov 16 2002, 03:15 AM)
i get a really annoying humming sound, almost like a bad ground wire, when i have my pro co rat, and my big muff in the same pedalboard setup (my board changes constantly)  is there a way to get rid of this noise?  i saw a pedal that is supposed to fix this problem but i have not had a chance to check it out.

i remember my dad talking about this electric stuff and if theres a humming or buzz there mite be wires touching see if ther are any wire touching cuz it could short out

#68 mitchimus

mitchimus
  • 45 posts
  • Original Name: mitchimus

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:03 AM

hey, man i ain't gonna read all of it at the moment, i read the first two of yoru posts and i have learnt so much already. thanks a heap biggrin.gif

#69 tapelator

tapelator

Dokdo Freedom

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Original Name: tapelator

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:28 PM

that pig looks scary. but i love their effect, is that all-sound clip on a one multi effect? it's an analog too? how much is that?
user posted image
it's not that i don't care, but some things will never change.

#70 pastie_boy

pastie_boy
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Original Name: pastie_boy

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (Rock N Reverb @ Oct 3 2003, 09:06 PM)
Could anyone explain the difference, if there is one, between reverb, echo, tape slap and slap back?

Reverb is where the input signal is made to sound like the instrument is being played in an echoey room. think an empty concer hall or a cave. i can't tel you the technical side of it though.

delay is where a note is played and then digitally (or oldey worldey, analouge) repeated at a set rate. so you could have yourself play one note and the effect would make it sound like you played four notes (or more, or less, depending on what settings you have dialled in to the effect box)

slapback delay/echo is where the note played is repeated again about 10milliseconds or so after the original note. it makes it sound like you played two of the same ntes very fast together. Bluegrass and country guitarists use it cos it works with that particular style of music.

tape echo is a mystery to me.

#71 nobulator

nobulator
  • 31 posts
  • Original Name: nobulator

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE (joshsmog @ Oct 10 2003, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (onstandby @ Oct 7 2003, 01:13 PM)
can you explain what exactly the leslie effect is?

leslies are a big speaker cab with a motor in it that spins it around so a leslie effect would be a rotating speaker effect.

a leslie cabinet works by having a speaker facing into a rotating drum with a hole in one side of it, as it rotates inside the cabinet the hole (because the drum is rotating) moves from facing directly out of the box, to facing back into the speaker box, cause phase cancellations and various delays. the same effect is achieved with a horn driver in the top of the cabinet by using a stationary hor driver and a 90 degree angle horn which rotates

#72 SRVfan2004

SRVfan2004
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts
  • Original Name: SRVfan2004

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:10 PM

holy mother...that was very helpful....i should have took physics though when it got complicated.

#73 Abz121

Abz121
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Abz121

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (guitargirlca @ Dec 14 2002, 11:07 AM)
niiiiiice SKM!

How can you be stuffed writing stuff like this man?[FONT=Times] cool.gif dry.gif

#74 Santiagoman

Santiagoman
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Original Name: Santiagoman

Posted 30 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

Hey dude, could you tell me what an Overboost does i cant work it out

Thanks

#75 pimp_vince

pimp_vince

Laws, as effective a deterrant as broken condoms for birth contr

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Original Name: pimp_vince

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:26 PM

Ok, how about a Ring Modulator, i know it mixes the frequency you play with another frequency and it distorts the signal as well but never knew how it worked.

#76 Snipe666

Snipe666
  • 22 posts
  • Original Name: Snipe666

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:50 AM

i'VE GOT A ZOOM 707II MULTI EFFECTS PEDAL ANY OTHERS OUT THERE GOT THAT KOOL PEICE OF KIT.

#77 watson 7s

watson 7s
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: watson 7s

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

This is definitely a great forum. But would anyone know some settings for the equalizer. I have a simple amp and have'nt been able to tweak the low, mid and high to get whatever sounds i want and im always changing up what i play.
If anybodys got advice or has found a few themes that will work for rock or blues it would be helpful

#78 Edge-o-matic

Edge-o-matic
  • 13 posts
  • Original Name: Edge-o-matic

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (skm @ Mar 26 2003, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paulward - If you've got nothing in mind, then try out a whole bunch of different effects. The bluesbreaker is okay, but it may not leap out at you as being a bit different. It sounds like you want a more versatile or unusual pedal, so I'd look at flangers, tremolo pedals, delays... that kind of thing. Hopefully something will leap out at you. Bear in mind that this kind of pedal could also be used subtley on electro-acoustic... whereas things like distortion or wah would be harder to use in that setting.

IwishIwasgood - EQ... is equalisation. This is what shapes your tone. A basic tone control on your guitar will cut the higher frequencies as you roll it back, the same as the tone knobs on stereos worldwide. This goes one step further on your amp, which will have separate tone controls for different "frequency bands" (ie. lows, mids and highs). Only when you get to a proper equaliser can you actually boost a frequency (tone controls can only cut) as well as cut. You can use this to make your sound richer, 'scooped', toppy, bassy or any of the other adjectives often applied to tone. You can also use it to control feedback by cutting the resonant frequency that's causing trouble.

Hey SKM.....u r one knowledgeable musician.

Quick question...that may get on ur nerves...i hope not.
Do u know any good settings for a Boss 7 band equilliszer?
I have a vox ac-30 cc amp....several pedals, but i'd like a
clean crisp tone...that i can add slight delay to.

Something like Pride, or I still haven't found...mostly U2-ish.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanx

guitar.gif

#79 tdintbl

tdintbl

The one and only Billy Shears

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts
  • Original Name: tdintbl

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:20 PM

A nice trick I just stumbled across.

I've been looking for a way to get mild overdrive out of my current setup, which is a Crate FXT120 amp and a EHX Big Muff Pi (USA Reissue). Earlier I've talked about how the Big Muff set to mid tone with high sustain fed through an amp's built in distortion at low gain sounds like a totally blown speaker. Tweaking this a bit I get sweet smooth mild overdrive, almost tube-amped but since everything is solid state it is a little bit colder.

Take your Big Muff Pi, set volume to 10oclock, tone to 4oclock and sustain to 1oclock. Feed it into amp's basic distortion chanel at a low level like 2 or 3 with a fairly balanced EQ. Roll back your guitar's volume pot to 1 or 1 1/2 and let the blues begin!

Hope this is interesting to someone.

Soundclick: Because I must join the herd!
"Home: where thought's escaping, home: where my music's playing, home: where my wife lies waiting silently for me."

#80 ecclastua2005

ecclastua2005
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: ecclastua2005

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

Volume
Speaks for itself really. Turn it up, your volume increases and vice versa.

With the whole volume thing on you effeects units stomp pedals and all that, what guitarists should do is have a listen to their effects and notice the volume level changes this is standard with all effects. what guitarists need to do when they get the effects units or stomp pedals is to go thru each effect and change the patch level so the volume sounds the same not so the numbers read the same cos it is a pain in the ass trying to mix a decent sound from the mixer at the back. for example on your units you might have a clean sound and a distortion ok, the clean might be on 15 and the distortion might be on 13 for the patch levels the distortion will still be louder so you may need to say turn the patch level up on the clean sound or drop it for the distortion i have had plenty of experience over the yrs with effects and mixing sound and getting quality i know wat i am talking about with this.

Edited by ecclastua2005, 17 March 2007 - 09:33 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...