Effects 101Lots of Effects-related info

90 replies to this topic

#81 ecclastua2005

ecclastua2005
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: ecclastua2005

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (watson 7s @ Mar 18 2006, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is definitely a great forum. But would anyone know some settings for the equalizer. I have a simple amp and have'nt been able to tweak the low, mid and high to get whatever sounds i want and im always changing up what i play.
If anybodys got advice or has found a few themes that will work for rock or blues it would be helpful

ok man simple stuff make your equaliser smile like such

#82 jordan23

jordan23
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: jordan23

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

Nice one. It'd be nice to see some stuff on pedal construction/mods.

#83 isaac698431

isaac698431
  • 16 posts
  • Original Name: isaac698431

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:05 AM

http://www.guitarzon...hp?showforum=11

#84 guitar-review-ninja

guitar-review-ninja
  • 6 posts
  • Original Name: guitar-review-ninja

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:30 AM

If you want to have unlimited options tweaking combinations of effects, I highly recommend the Line6 M13. It's the most intuitive effects pedal, hands-down.

#85 Zwarte_Fontein

Zwarte_Fontein
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Zwarte_Fontein

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

This is really informing, thanks to all of you.

#86 senorita

senorita
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: senorita

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

Thanx skm, now I understand.
==============
Online Marketing Agency
SEO Newcastle

#87 Cat Lvr

Cat Lvr
  • New (Facebook)
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: Cat Lvr

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

In the spirit of Lou's articles on Q&A I've decided to start the ball rolling in Effects with a primer. This is going to start off with laymans descriptions so everyone is on the same footing, then I'll go into how the effects work and the electronics (for building and customisation). I'll do a post every time I get bored at work... expect a complete tutorial in no time at all!!!

(Mod Edit......... Since Skm has included a lot of info in this topic I think making it sticky is a good idea. HMB)

Amplitude based effects
This means effects that work on the sound level of the signal. The simplest example is a volume control. I'll start with a list of the basic effects in this category, then I'll say a little about them.

Volume Control
Tremolo
Compression
Swell

Volume
Speaks for itself really. Turn it up, your volume increases and vice versa.

Tremolo
Due to the 'tremolo' on a guitar varying the pitch, this is often taken as a pitch varying effect. A true tremolo "wobbles" the volume up and down. This can be taken to extremes with an effect called gating which cuts the signal from off to full volume at regular intervals. As the sound is decaying this makes it sound like a repeating note getting progressively quieter.
Another variation on tremolo is panning or ping-pong (named after a recording technique). This sends the output of the tremolo to different channels and increases the volume in one channel as the other decreases, giving the effect of the sound bouncing between the two speakers.

Compression
This effect makes loud sounds quieter and quiet sounds louder, lessening the dynamics of what you play. Included in this category is the opposite effect - Expansion - which makes quiet sounds quieter and loud sounds louder. Sounds more like a limiter. A compressor is sort of an envelope dynamics processor.

These are often used in conjunction for noise reduction in studios. There's also limiting. This only reduces the volume of a signal past a set threshold level. Anything under the threshold is left unprocessed. These compression effects can cause 'clipping' of the louder sounds, which is essentially the top of the signal being chopped off. I'll come back to clipping when I talk about distortion effects.

Swell
Swell takes a note and progressively changes the volume, usually from low volume to high volume to imitate the effect of a bowed instrument or wind instrument.

#88 Zachary DeFosse

Zachary DeFosse
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: Zachary DeFosse

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

How would you suggest a sound similar to the intro of "Sweet Child O' Mine?" I'm not quite sure what effects to use. The sound is somewhat the same for the rest of the "Appetite For Destruction" album as well; a clean-sounding distortion with an echo-like pinch. I don't know much about effects, really. Hope you can help....

#89 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

That's a tricky one. Slash's sound was more in the guitar and amp he used rather than effects. But beware, that Les Paul wasn't made by Gibson and the Marshall he used was so modified that it was hardly a Marshall. I'd start with a good high output humbucker and a Marshall Blues breaker pedal. I'd also add some reverb and a bit of chorus. A Zoom G2 is capable of a reasonable Slash impression.

#90 Zachary DeFosse

Zachary DeFosse
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Well I can't even read half of what you wrote because for some reason I can zoom in right, but thanks anyway. Maybe sometime I'll be able to zoom in and read it. Thanks!

#91 Zachary DeFosse

Zachary DeFosse
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

Okay...now that it automatically zoomed in when I replied, I read it. I'm still not quite sure what some of that stuff is but I can figure it out without too much trouble. Thank you!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...