#1 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 09 May 2003 - 04:43 PM

Born about 45 years ago in Summerville, South Carolina, Wayne Murrell received his nickname- "Jazz"- when his dad discovered that he liked to listen to the family's jazz records. When Jazz got a little older he took up the bass as well as guitar and piano. Until the mid-seventies Jazz played with many gospel acts across the United States. Also, Jazz did some studio work with Richard Carpenter. Eventually Jazz moved to Nashville where he did stints with Ray Stevens, Barbara Mandrell, and Louise Mandrell.
The eighties up until about 1996 were the lost Jazz years. Nobody really knows what Jazz did during that time. It is believed that Jazz may have done some time with traveling top 40 lounge acts. And for a brief period Jazz was being endorsed by Epiphone and Gibson.
Aound 1997 Wayne "Jazz" Murrell started making the scene around Charleston, South Carolina, filling in on bass with Smoky Weiner & The Hot Links and Harry L. Jackson . For a couple years Jazz played bass with the Swinging Johnsons on Wednesday nights at Momma's Blues Palace in downtown Charleston. It was during his tenure at Momma's Blues Palace that jazz wrote the blues classic "I Want A Real Girl" which he occasionally performed with the Swinging Johnsons. Now Jazz works as a bug man.
But there is more to Jazz than just the music. Jazz is a smooth dresser who knows how to talk to the ladies. And his hair is perfect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: misterhat on 2003-05-16 14:24 ]</font>

Edited by misterhat, 03 October 2003 - 06:58 AM.

#2 HarlenC

HarlenC

Dang, where these sumbit'sches at??

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Original Name: conart_cry

Posted 09 May 2003 - 04:46 PM

You spelt Jazz 14 times

"It is true, that which I have revealed you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream - a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought - a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities."

#3 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 06:55 AM

I try to speak the name of Jazz every single day. Wayne "Jazz" Murrell is a legendary figure of magnanimous proportions. In other words, Wayne "Jazz" Murrell represents.

#4 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 10:59 AM

[ihttp://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/giantflyingporcupines/Wayne+Jazz+Murrell/__tn_Wayne+Jazz+Murrell.jpg?bcr3Uv.AT8m9lL0A
This is Jazz.

#5 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  • Original Name: angusyoungfan

Posted 10 May 2003 - 11:57 AM

.. Em what the hell are you doing ? No offence or anythign but the legends threads were my idea you could have at least asked and considering i already have a legends four about to be posted it's alittle bit arrogant man geez ...

Z :smile:
http://www.soundclick.com/anguzyoungfan

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image
SRV One Heart One Soul One True Legend

#6 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 03:45 PM

But Wayne "Jazz" Murrell IS a legend.

#7 firebirddude

firebirddude
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Original Name: firebirddude

Posted 15 May 2003 - 10:01 PM

I believe I met Jazz, five years ago. It was at a bar in North Charleston, South Carolina, T R Mulligan's. Jazz sure was a snazzy dresser. And he had that style about him. His hair was perfect. It didn't move. There was something about the way Jazz took a cigarette out of his cigarette case. And he had that special lighter with his initials on it.
Jazz could score with the ladies. Basically he took the Boomhower approach- he talked to each and every woman until somebody finally said yes. So Jazz was almost guaranteed to score. And he did, regularly.
His basses were imaculate- at least a couple late sixties/early seventies four bolt Jazz basses.
When I grow up I want to be just like Jazz, just like alot of people want to grow up to be just like me.
She's a babe
www.honeyhellfire.com

#8 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:27 AM

On 2003-05-16 01:01, firebirddude wrote:
I believe I met Jazz, five years ago.  It was at a bar in North Charleston, South Carolina, T R Mulligan's.  Jazz sure was a snazzy dresser.  And he had that style about him.  His hair was perfect.  It didn't move.  There was something about the way Jazz took a cigarette out of his cigarette case.  And he had that special lighter with his initials on it.
Jazz could score with the ladies.  Basically he took the Boomhower approach- he talked to each and every woman until somebody finally said yes.  So Jazz was almost guaranteed to score.  And he did, regularly.
His basses were imaculate- at least a couple late sixties/early seventies four bolt Jazz basses.
When I grow up I want to be just like Jazz, just like alot of people want to grow up to be just like me.

You pretty much described Jazz to a t. He is a smooth dresser and has a way with the ladies. Or at least he always seems to score with somebody.
One thing that kind of pizzled me about Jazz is that I never once heard him use any ebonics.

#9 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:31 AM

On 2003-05-16 01:01, firebirddude wrote:

I also aspire to acquire a few Jazz-like qualities before I die.

#10 firebirddude

firebirddude
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 02:28 PM

I used to take Jazz along with me so when some chick made a pass at me and I didn't want her I could pass her on to Jazz. Most of the time Jazz would be there ready for the kill.
She's a babe
www.honeyhellfire.com

#11 ubernoob

ubernoob
  • 36 posts
  • Original Name: ubernoob

Posted 16 May 2003 - 02:38 PM

It is so nice to read about the unsung heroes of rock & roll. Most of the time all I read about on here are the absolute most popular guitarists and bassists.

#12 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 01:53 AM

Wayne Murrell- Jazz- simply is due for some props.

#13 firebirddude

firebirddude
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 12:52 AM

Jazz had some serious gear in immaculate condition. Almost all of it is from the seventies. He has a Rhodes in his living room as well as a Maestro Phaser and a Cry Baby. And he has four or five small practice amps. His bass amp is a Fender Bassman with a couple 2x15" cabinets. Besides his Jazz basses, Jazz has an early seventies ES-335, a rare Epiphone Genesis, and a Hagstom II covered in light blue leather.
She's a babe
www.honeyhellfire.com

#14 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 01:34 AM

So you've been to Jazz's house?
Jazz is a certifiable character. Not an evil dude by any stretch of the imagination. But slightly creepy, because there's that certain thing about Jazz that you just don't know and it might be better that you didn't know.
I've gotten high with Jazz. Yeah, back in the late nineties I smoked some weed with Jazz. It was on Folly Beach. That brings back lots of memories.

#15 firebirddude

firebirddude
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 01:38 AM

On 2003-05-18 04:34, misterhat wrote:
I've gotten high with Jazz.  Yeah, back in the late nineties I smoked some weed with Jazz.  It was on Folly Beach.  That brings back lots of memories.

Jazz doesn't really do that much anymore, kind of like me. I still smoke weed, but only maybe once a week or so. But I try to keep the hardcore marijuana blowouts to a minimum. Pot is groovy in moderation. Too much pot can turn you into a serious couch potato.
She's a babe
www.honeyhellfire.com

#16 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 11:11 AM

One thing I can say about Jazz is that Jazz is not a couch potato. He is a more on the ball kind of dude.
It's been at least seven or eight months since the last time I saw Jazz. I wonder what he's been up to. I'd like to see Jazz get back into gigging. He has that white boy shuffle thing down.

#17 firebirddude

firebirddude
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 02:49 PM

Jazz is known around these parts as a bass player. And occasionally he plays some keyboards. But Jazz is a pretty decent guitar player too. The very first thing I ever heard Jazz play on guitar was the theme to Love Story.
She's a babe
www.honeyhellfire.com

#18 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 07:29 PM

Jazz knows alot of stuff that most people don't, like the words to the Star Trek theme. Jazz's love affair with science fiction almost outweighs his fascination with music.

#19 misterhat

misterhat

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 09:36 PM

Jazz, that is one smooth cat.

#20 gyr84me

gyr84me

Beag air Bheag

• 16,179 posts
  • Original Name: gyr84me

Posted 25 May 2003 - 05:31 PM

why did that conversation about Jazz sound like it was one guy talking about Jazz? And why keep reminding us that it was Jazz you were talking about? :grin:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...