John Jackson

14 replies to this topic

#1 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  • Original Name: angusyoungfan

Posted 21 May 2003 - 11:57 AM

Yes i know legends is early this week but I have been here for a year exactly today and thought i would bring a double legends series this one John Jackson and the one below Mike Patton so here we go :smile: oh yeah there will also be a legends on Saturday courtesy of Misterhat :smile:

NOTE: both of the legends discography's were a bastard to do :smile:

Here it is Legends number 6 is it ? yeah number 6 here it is this time it is John Jackson Hope you enjoy .

Biography

John Jackson, whose gentle, acoustic guitar picking and warm, rich baritone voice won him a National Heritage Fellowship, was one of the last remaining first-generation country bluesmen. His music--East Coast Piedmont blues, ragtime, folk, old-time hillbilly songs and ballads--transcends race, class and intellectual backgrounds as if barriers did not exist. Without a doubt, Jackson, who was an absolute favorite at blues festivals all over the world, was one of the country's preeminent singer-guitarists, a genuine national treasure.

Born in Rappahanock County, Virginia on February 25, 1924, John Jackson was the seventh son of 14 children. His parents were farmers as well as musicians who played parties on weekends and holidays. John first played around with his father's guitar at age four,when John was six his parents bought him a a second-hand Victrola , and from the same man they bought record of people like Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller, Uncle Dave Macon and Jimmie Rodgers and John soaked up these sounds . By eight years of age John taught himself enough to accompany his parents at parties. When he was ten, John met a chain gang convict named Happy, who was working near the Jackson's home. Happy taught John open tuning and slide guitar techniques, all the while encouraging the young musician. Before he could learn to read or write, John had to drop out of school to work on the farm. He continued playing parties with his parents during the 1930s and 1940s but quit playing music a short time later. He felt music encouraged violent behavior, and he didn't want any part of it.

John moved to Fairfax, Virginia in 1950 with his wife, Cora, and children to work on a dairy farm. He ended up spending most of his time working around the farmer's home as a cook, butler, chauffeur, and general caretaker until the early 1960s. A friend of John's, in need of some quick cash, pawned John his guitar, and John quietly started playing again. At this point he became a gravedigger to support his family, occasionally pulling out his guitar for fun. One day, while John was playing guitar for some neighborhood kids, his mailman asked him for lessons. John agreed to meet him at the local gas station, where the mailman had a second job. While John played at the gas station, Chuck Perdue, the president of the Folklore Society of Greater Washington, pulled in for a fill-up. He heard John playing Mississippi John Hurt's "Candy Man" Note for Note! Amazed, Perdue asked John if he could play anything else. John happily obliged with songs from John Hurt, Blind Blake, and so on. Perdue made some introductions with John and Arhoolie Records. Within weeks, John was playing at coffeehouses in the Washington D.C. area, where he gradually regained all his old musical powers.

In April of 1965, John recorded songs for his first record, Blues And Country Dance Songs From Virginia , for Arhoolie. He became an instant hit at blues festivals, easily winning a whole new generation of fans already singing the praises of Mississippi John Hurt, Skip James and other early bluesmen rediscovered at the time. Two more Arhoolie albums followed, as John's reputation continued to grow. Among his friends and admirers were Mississippi John Hurt, Mississippi Fred McDowell, B.B. King and Ricky Skaggs. Two albums for Rounder in the 1980s kept Jackson busy on the international tour circuit. Besides constant trips to Europe, Jackson played Asia, Africa, South America, India and all over the United States. The National Endowment for the Arts awarded John with their National Heritage Fellowship in 1986, giving official recognition to the vibrant blues giant.

Over the years Jackson had befriended, in his words, "just about everybody that's a guitar picker." Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Arlo Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Luther Allison, Junior Wells and Son House have all shared stages and swapped songs with Jackson. Carl Sandburg and Alex Haley, even Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers Neighborhood ) counted themselves among Jackson's close friends. With a strong desire to stay in Virginia and not take to the road, John Jackson's accomplishments are truly astounding. He went from playing on his front porch to playing at President Jimmy Carter's Labor Day Picnic at the White House, Carnegie Hall, the Royal Albert Hall, to points all over the world.

His easy rolling guitar playing and gentle singing took his fans on a timeless musical journey. Mr. Jackson passed away in Virginia on January 20, 2002 but will be remembered as one of the greaters blues players ever to grace this earth .

DISCOGRAPHY
1999 Front Porch Blues Alligator
1999 Country Blues & Ditties (compilation) Arhoolie
1983 Deep In Bottom Rounder
1979 Step It Up & Go Rounder
1970 Don't Let Your Deal Go Down Arhoolie
1970 John Jackson In Europe Arhoolie
1968 John Jackson, Vol. 2 Arhoolie
1966 John Jackson Rounder
1965 Blues And Country Dance Tunes From Virginia Arhoolie

Ok that's Legends number 6 John Jackson a man who truly is a legend and man who's guitar playing skills are blinding he can play complicated lines etc and sing at the same John was truly an accomplished guitarist and will go down in history as being one of the greatest blues players of all time IMO :smile:

Z :smile:
http://www.soundclick.com/anguzyoungfan

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image
SRV One Heart One Soul One True Legend

#2 sparkster778

sparkster778
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • Original Name: sparkster778

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:09 PM

J.Jackson was great cheers for that. Ive always wanted to know about the guy in DADFADs sig :grin: .

Now to read the other one.
"Sparkster you are a genius" Anoilersfan

#3 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:49 PM

That's more like it.

#4 beefdog15

beefdog15
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  • Original Name: beefdog15

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:39 PM

I bet Dadfad will be happy to see this. He'll probably have some info to add to it. :grin:

#5 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,995 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:57 PM

WOOOOHOOOOOOO. Well done Zak, you worked overtime for them. I wonder what legend Mr Hat will do. laugh.gif

#6 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:31 PM

good job zak. the john jackson one was quite interesting as i knew nothing about him.

however u missed a helluvalot of the mike patton discography. i would say there is about 4 or 5 times more items there lol. i'll post a full list myself in a few mins

#7 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:18 PM

i couldnt find any decent patton discographys so i had to compile one myself. i know this is of interest to about 1% of the people here but i dont care :razz:

Faith No More (albums):
The Real Thing
Angel Dust
King For a Day
Album of the Year
Live at the Brixton Academy
This Is It: The Best Of
We Care A Lot

Faith No More (singles):
Ricochet
Digging the Grave
Sparks (FNM on 2 tracks)
Judgement Night Soundtrack "Another Body Murdered" FNM + Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.
Ashes to Ashes
Evidence
Epic
A Small Victory
Falling to Pieces
Easy
Last Cup of Sorrow
Mid Life Crisis

Mr Bungle:
Mr Bungle
Disco Volante
California
Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny
Bowel Of Chilly
OU818
Goddamit, I love America
Travolta (single)

Mike Patton - Adult Themes for Voice
Mike Patton - Pranzo Oltranzista

Fantômas - Amenaza al Mundo (Book 1)
Fantômas - The Director's Cut
The FantômasMelvins BigBand - Millennium Monsterwork

Tomahawk - Tomahawk
Tomahawk - Mit Gas

Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead Scene
Weird Little Boy - Weird Little Boy
Maldoror - She
John Zorn - Elegy
Great Jewish Music - Burt Bacharach
Great Jewish Music - Serge Gainsbourg
Milk Cult - Burn or Bury
John Zorn and Ikue Mori - Hemophiliac
Lovage - Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By

Appearances:
Sepultura - Roots
Sepultura - Tribus
Sepultura - Attitude single
Jerry Hunt - Song Drapes
Bob Ostertag - Fear No Love
John Zorn - Taboo & Exile
The Melvins - The Crybaby
Kid606 - Down With The Scene
John Zorn - The Big Gundown: 15th Anniversary Edition
John Zorn - The Gift
Great Phone Calls
Rise Above: 24 Black Flag Songs To Benefit the West Memphis Three
Angelica
No Coracão Dos Deuses

[ This Message was edited by: mrbung1e on 2003-05-21 18:18 ]

#8 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  • Original Name: angusyoungfan

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:26 PM

On 2003-05-21 16:57, frankyz84 wrote:
WOOOOHOOOOOOO. Well done Zak, you worked overtime for them. I wonder what legend Mr Hat will do. laugh.gif

Thanks for that :smile:

Yeah i Worked hard IMO on these ones John Jackson was pleasure to do :smile: Mike Patton was hard It was hard trying to get all the information him .

Oh yeah Bungle i know that's not his full discography but i thought i would onyl do his 2 most well known projects Thanks for the discography anyway :smile:

Z :smile:
http://www.soundclick.com/anguzyoungfan

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image
SRV One Heart One Soul One True Legend

#9 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • 29,995 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:57 PM

BUMP. I really can`t belive the indifference to a decent post. When we get spam, you get 100s of replys say don`t spam, you ###### off you wanker, or some such comment. But you get some halfway decent post, then it get ignored, comeon show a bit of support for Zaks work, show your apreciation at least, it only takes a couple of words.

#10 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,057 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:04 PM

For some reason this is the first time I've seen this topic (almost a year later.). Good job, Zak. Your piece on John Jackson was very good and pretty accurate as well (He actually did record much earlier, but the recordings were very obscure and not at all well-know. His later ones, 1963 and later which you mentioned, are technically recorded much better and far superior to his 1948 78 rpm "record machine" recordings, of which only dozens were made and sold locally in rural Virginia.) John was the finest traditional acoustic guitarist I've ever seen and a truly gentle man. It was an honor to be his student and one he called his friend. Thanks for the tribute to a true legend of country blues.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#11 evileye

evileye

Cian

• Validating
  • 16,809 posts
  • Original Name: evileye

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:13 AM

I'm quite a fan of John Jackson's work from what i've heard of him (thanks to John). Good job, Zak.

#12 J.Hoang301

J.Hoang301
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Original Name: J.Hoang301

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

only dadfad could of wrote it better or jack johnson himself
user posted image

"Blues was created when the first cheating man met the first lying woman"

"I'm going to punch you in the ovary. Yep. Straight shot. Right to the babymaker." Ron Burgandy

#13 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,057 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

On the (relatively slim sad.gif ) chance that someone opens this topic, I'm going to link a topic in the Acoustic forum I did where I put up free d/l's of some of John's work. They will eventually be deleted before long, but meanwhile if anyone wants them... LINK

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#14 tenn_jim

tenn_jim
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Original Name: tenn_jim

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Oct 26 2006, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the (relatively slim sad.gif ) chance that someone opens this topic, I'm going to link a topic in the Acoustic forum I did where I put up free d/l's of some of John's work. They will eventually be deleted before long, but meanwhile if anyone wants them... LINK

I for one truly appreciate all the work you do, have done and will do for this forum. John Jackson was truly one of the great contributors to the acoustic blues. Thanks for your knowledge and insight. beer.gif
IPB Image

#15 jumping_jack_splash

jumping_jack_splash
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts
  • Original Name: jumping_jack_splash

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

i did try to tab a bit of "too tight rag" but alas, im not good enough, still gives me something to aim for in the distant future

We're all going to be just dirt in the ground.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...