Django Reinhardt

18 replies to this topic

#1 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  • Original Name: angusyoungfan

Posted 31 May 2003 - 06:32 AM

Well here it is again legends number 8 :smile: this time it is the one and only Django Reinhardt

Biography
Django Reinhardt born Jean Baptiste Reinhardt in 1910 was the son of a traveling entertainer and the brother of Joseph Reinhardt. He grew up in a gypsy settlement outside Paris. Reinhardt first played violin and later took up guitar, and began working professionally in 1922 with the accordionist Guerino. In 1928, he was badly burned in a caravan fire, which resulted in the mutilation of his left hand. This deprived him of the use of two fingers and led him to devise a unique fingering method to overcome his handicap.

After a period of convalescence, he worked in cafés in Paris and in a duo with the singer Jean Sablon. In 1934, he was a founding member, with Stephane Grappelli, of the ensemble that became known as the Quintette du Hot Club de France. In the years before World War II the group gained considerable renown through its numerous recordings, and Reinhardt became an international celebrity. He appeared throughout Europe and recorded with many important American musicians who visited the Continent. During the war, while Grappelli lived in Britain, Reinhardt remained in France. He led a big band, then achieved considerable success as the leader of a new quintet in which the clarinetist Hubert Rostaing took Grappelli's place. He also became interested in composition and, with Andre Hodeir, arranged the music for the film Le Village de la Colere (1946). In 1946, he visited England and Switzerland, toured the USA as a soloist with Duke Ellington's band (playing an amplified guitar for the first time), and worked in New York.

After his return to France, he lived in Samois and toured and recorded with his quintet, which sometimes included Grappelli again. Reinhardt's grasp of harmony, remarkable technique, and trenchant rhythmic sense made him an excellent accompanist. His incisive support is heard to advantage on Stardust (1935), recorded with Coleman Hawkins. He later developed into a soloist of unique character, creating a deeply personal style out of his own cultural patrimony. By 1937, when he recorded Chicago with the Quintette, he was established as the first outstanding European jazz musician, a stylist with great melodic resourcefulness and a mastery of inflection. He was a gifted composer of short evocative pieces and had a flair for pacing a performance so the maximum variety could be wrung from it without compromising its homogeneity; an excellent example of this is St. Louis Blues (1937).

Endowed with remarkable sensitivity, he could work with visiting American performers without forsaking his own essentially romantic style. In the 1940s, he switched to the electric guitar. However, this did not coarsen his playing since he used its power with discretion. The rhythmic content of his work became more varied, as in Minor Swing (1947), and his improvised lines more flexible. The asymmetrical, occasionally violent playing heard in some later performances shows the continual widening of his expressive scope. A documentary film, Django Reinhardt (1958), was made after his death(1953) by the director Paul Paviot. It includes an introduction by Jean Cocteau and features music performed by Grappelli, Rostaing, and Joseph Reinhardt.

Django's two sons, Lousson and Babik, were both fine guitarists, and after their father's death, Babik established a reputation in his own right .

Discography

Django released quite bit of stuff but while researching his albums to geta good biography i had trouble becaiuse most of the original recording have been remastered so trying to find the original dates was near impossible so i shall just give you a link to a discograpgy i found which seemes the most complete .

http://music.lycos.c.....hardt, Django

Hopefully that satisfies you!

Anyway thats another legends out of the way until next week :smile:

Any complaints etc PM me or post them in here

Z

grzegorz_panek wrote:
Music is one thing and a circus trick is another one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: angusyoungfan on 2003-05-31 13:56 ]</font>
http://www.soundclick.com/anguzyoungfan

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image
SRV One Heart One Soul One True Legend

#2 khammett

khammett
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  • Original Name: khammett

Posted 31 May 2003 - 01:53 PM

Great work Zak! Probably the best one you've done so far, in my opinion anyway because not many people know much about him unlike Slash etc. I think Django is a great guitarist who deserves a lot more recognition than he seems to get around here!
user posted image

#3 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,995 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:14 PM

Yup what James said. Well done Zak.

#4 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:27 AM

Wow thanks guys here me thinking it was my worst yet . I really thought i had went downhill with this one im sorry about the biography i guess i was kind of lazy but ive been busy as of late ,work etc But next week will be here better :smile:

Z :smile:

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image

#5 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,995 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:59 AM

On 2003-06-01 14:27, angusyoungfan wrote:
Wow thanks guys here me thinking it was my worst yet . I really thought i had went downhill with this one im sorry about the biography i guess i was kind of lazy but ive been busy as of late ,work etc But next week will be here better :smile:

Good to see you got your priorities in the right order. GTU comes well down the list, afterall you gotta life. :smile:

#6 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 12:10 PM

On 2003-06-01 14:59, frankyz84 wrote:
On 2003-06-01 14:27, angusyoungfan wrote:

Good to see you got your priorities in the right order. GTU comes well down the list, afterall you gotta life. :smile:

Yep a life i have indeed :smile: Imsaving up for a tube amp which will take a while but hey ho :smile:

Anyway next weeks one in my opinion is a cracker which you guys should like :smile:

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image

#7 nozty

nozty
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Original Name: nozty

Posted 01 June 2003 - 12:11 PM

Well, thank you, now i know who Django Reinhardt was :smile:

#8 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 15 October 2003 - 11:00 PM

0ne of the best of the best. La creme de la creme.

#9 lucyinthesky886

lucyinthesky886
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Original Name: lucyinthesky886

Posted 07 November 2003 - 08:33 PM

my dad loves the guy-hes got me into it. can y imagine only having 2 fingers to play???!!!

#10 polkatulk

polkatulk
  • 38 posts
  • Original Name: polkatulk

Posted 16 November 2003 - 01:55 PM

Django rules! Nuages is a great song to play on guitar

#11 munchocruncho

munchocruncho
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Original Name: munchocruncho

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:26 PM

I too love Django. In Fact, no lie, Im listening to him right now.

#12 Tuning Spork

Tuning Spork

I still have Les Paul's autograph

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts
  • Original Name: Tuning Spork

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:03 AM

Nice. Django is awesome.

#13 tapelator

tapelator

Dokdo Freedom

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Original Name: tapelator

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:34 AM

i hear he was given an extremely high actioned guitar to play on in a france concert, because he was late for his concert, and was found in a gypsy cabin, so they just gave django that guitar to make him embaressed infront to hundreds of people there.

but he played it so beautifully, that almost all the audiences in that concert cried, and was stunned, including those guys who gave him that guitar.

cool.gif
user posted image
it's not that i don't care, but some things will never change.

#14 rbasstones513

rbasstones513
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Original Name: rbasstones513

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:18 PM

The man was truly gifted. He and his playing were way ahead of his time.
<a href="http://www.rotarydec...cals.com">Mazda Stickers - RX-7 - RX-8</a>

#15 Italiano_Pride

Italiano_Pride
  • 18 posts
  • Original Name: Italiano_Pride

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

very nice

#16 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Original Name: the cash

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (dorio @ Oct 16 2003, 08:00 AM)
La creme de la creme.

Indeed!

Soundclick! -- It's back!

"I've always wanted to smash a guitar over someone's head. You just can't do that with a piano!"

#17 noodle69

noodle69
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Original Name: noodle69

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (rbasstones513 @ Apr 1 2005, 09:18 PM)
The man was truly gifted.  He and his playing were way ahead of his time.

still are !!!!

his work with grappeli is outstanding !!!!!

very very clever quirky runs which somehow tell a story !!!!
remember that i love you - no matter what i say

#18 John25

John25
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: John25

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:47 AM

Just noticed Django Reinhardt is included in the hero list on www.italkguitar.com.

iTalkguitar.com is a free online guitar community where you can create your own profile and chat to other fans of Django...

See you all on there!
John

#19 billkahler

billkahler
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: billkahler

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:08 AM

I have two different shows featuring Charles Williams an amazing Django style guitarist who talks about his two bands - Bonaventure Quartet (recently reviewed in vintage Guitar Magazine) and Bernadette Seacrest. In show #7, he talks in depth about his songwriting.

"pretty good gig" is a new podcast with musicians and singer songwriters featuring discussions about songwriting and the occasional humorous gig. Future shows will include more in depth looks at writing and performing, gear discussion, the changing music business.

We are open to suggestions for future shows as well. prettygoodgig.com and also on itunes. Thanks in advance for checking it out and passing the word. Hope you enjoy it!

itunes url:
http://itunes.apple....gig/id374496116

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...