Gary Moore

34 replies to this topic

#1 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  • Original Name: angusyoungfan

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:44 AM

Hello and welcome to Legends 15 this is the first legends to be posted in the new forums so woo hoo . Ahem . Anyway the legend this week is *Drum Roll* ME!!!!!!! na that's a joke the real legend is Gary Moore That's right the blues rocker sometimes quite metally guitarist smile.gif Anyway read on and enjoy smile.gif

Biography

Gary Moore was born on the 4th of April 1952, Belfast, Northern Ireland. This talented, blues-influenced singer and guitarist formed his first major band, Skid Row, when he was just 16 years old - initially with Phil Lynott, who left after a few months to form Thin Lizzy. Skid Row continued as a three-piece, with Brendan Shiels (bass) and Noel Bridgeman (drums). They relocated from Belfast to London in 1970 and signed a contract with CBS Records. After just two albums they disbanded, leaving Moore to form the Gary Moore Band. Their debut, Grinding Stone, appeared in 1973, but progress was halted the following year while Moore assisted Thin Lizzy after guitarist Eric Bell had left the band. This liaison lasted just four months before Moore was replaced by Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. Moore subsequently moved into session work before joining Colosseum II in 1976. He made three albums with them, and also rejoined Thin Lizzy for a 10-week American tour in 1977 after guitarist Brian Robertson suffered a severed artery in his hand. Moore finally became a full-time member of Thin Lizzy in 1978, working on the band's Black Rose album. At the same time he completed the solo set Back On The Streets, which featured 1979's UK Top 10 single "Parisienne Walkways", an atmospheric ballad that featured uncredited vocals by Lynott.
Moore left Thin Lizzy in July 1979, midway through a US tour. He formed the hard rock band G-Force, though this outfit soon foundered. Moore then resumed his solo career, recording a series of commercially ignored albums until he achieved another UK Top 10 single in June 1985 with "Out In The Fields", another collaboration with Lynott. The hard-rocking Wild Frontier broke into the UK Top 10 in 1987. The 1989 set After The War revealed a strong Celtic influence, and also featured guest artists such as Ozzy Osbourne and Andrew Eldritch (Sisters Of Mercy). His breakthrough to worldwide commercial acceptance came in 1990 with Still Got The Blues, which featured superb guitar work and confident vocals. Mixing blues standards and originals, Moore was acclaimed as one of the UK's foremost artists, a stature that the release of After Hours - featuring cameo appearances from B.B. King and Albert Collins - only confirmed. Both this album and the follow-up live set, Blues Alive, reached the UK Top 10.

In 1994 Moore collaborated with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker as BBM, releasing an accomplished and satisfying album, but personality conflicts meant that the trio was short-lived. In 1995 he released the excellent Blues For Greeny, an album of songs written by Peter Green and played on Green's Gibson Les Paul guitar, which had been a gift from Green to Moore many years earlier. Dark Days In Paradise had little blues on offer. Just as his followers were becoming used to his recent style, Moore attempted rock, AOR and pop. The album's tepid success no doubt reflected their rejection of his new approach. A Different Beat employed dance rhythms over regular rock structures, but although Moore's guitar playing was as sharp and fluid as ever, lyrically the songs descended into cliché. To the great relief of many of his fans, he returned to his roots on the aptly-titled Back To The Blues. But just when they though he was back at blues for good Gary released the rockfest that is Dirty Finger's full of heavy riffs and blistering solos . His latest Scars while very good it never captured the sheer excelence that Moore showed in the early days Moore is still doing tours and is said to be releasing another album soon .

Discography

Grinding Stone:1973

Back On The Streets:1978

G-Force:1980

Corridors Of Power:1982

Live At The Marquee:1983

Rockin' Every Night:Live In Japan:1983

Victims Of The Future:1983

Dirty Fingers:1984

Run For Cover:1985

We Want Moore:1986

Wild Frontier:1987

After The War:1989

Still Got The Blues:1990

No Image Avaliable
The Early Years:1992

After Hours:1992

Blues Alive:1993

Ballads & Blues 1982-1994:1994

Blues For Greeny:1995

Dark Days In Paradise:1997

Out In The Fields - The Very Best Of:1998

A different Beat:1999

Back to the Blues:2001

Scars:2002

And there you have it folks another Legends thread succesfully done smile.gif Hopefully you have enjoyed this one and will go find some cd's by the legend that is Gary Moore Until Next Week goodbye smile.gif

Z smile.gif
http://www.soundclick.com/anguzyoungfan

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image
SRV One Heart One Soul One True Legend

#2 led_zep

led_zep
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Original Name: led_zep

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:52 AM

excellent read, keep up the good work

#3 adds

adds
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,234 posts
  • Original Name: adds

Posted 05 July 2003 - 08:04 AM

I was wondering when you was going to get round to this man.Good job done to overall.Garys my favorite guitarist of all time and his place on the legends topic is well desurved.One thing though the Gibson LP he got from Greeny it wasnt a gift.He lent it to Gary and phoned him a few days later and asked if he wanted to buy it.Gary said he couldnt afford it so greeny said "well sell your the guitar you have at the moment and give me whatever you get for it" So Gary ended up buying the LP for a fraction of its worth.I just thought id point that out as so many people think he was given it for nothing.

#4 Spongeyguy

Spongeyguy

Forum Sponge

• GZ Regular
  • 25,094 posts
  • Original Name: spongeyguy

Posted 05 July 2003 - 08:05 AM

Thurston is a better Moore.
Let's get dangerous!

#5 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,995 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 05 July 2003 - 08:13 AM

Great stuff. I saw Gary Moore when he was with Thin Lizzy. I did not know much about guitar back then, but his playing blew me away. possibly one of the best blues guitarists this country(UK) has produced in recent years.n Up there with my favorites. Good work Zak.

#6 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 11:14 AM

I was wondering when you was going to get round to this man.Good job done to overall.Garys my favorite guitarist of all time and his place on the legends topic is well desurved.One thing though the Gibson LP he got from Greeny it wasnt a gift.He lent it to Gary and phoned him a few days later and asked if he wanted to buy it.Gary said he couldnt afford it so greeny said "well sell your the guitar you have at the moment and give me whatever you get for it" So Gary ended up buying the LP for a fraction of its worth.I just thought id point that out as so many people think he was given it for nothing.

You learn something new everyday smile.gif Thanks for that little bit of info there smile.gif

Oh yeah im alos a big fan of Gary his blues stuffs great and his Hard Rock stuff is outstanding Dirty Fingers is one of my favourtie albums smile.gif

Z smile.gif

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image

#7 adds

adds
  • GZ Regular
  • 15,234 posts
  • Original Name: adds

Posted 05 July 2003 - 11:24 AM

You learn something new everyday smile.gif Thanks for that little bit of info there smile.gif

Oh yeah im alos a big fan of Gary his blues stuffs great and his Hard Rock stuff is outstanding Dirty Fingers is one of my favourtie albums smile.gif

Z smile.gif
Have you got victims of the future thats an excelent album from his hard rock days.If you aint got it buy/download it.

#8 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 11:32 AM

Z smile.gif
Have you got victims of the future thats an excelent album from his hard rock days.If you aint got it buy/download it.

Nope i don't i have a few of his album

Dirty Fingers
Blues For Greeny
We Want Moore(live)
Dark Days In Paradise

And im sure i have another one not much of a collection i know but it does me at the moment smile.gif

Z smile.gif

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image

#9 pbaxter2001

pbaxter2001
  • GZ Regular
  • 19,765 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: pbaxter2001

Posted 05 July 2003 - 11:44 AM

Dude good stuff .... you should state your sources though....
otherwise it is plagiarism

http://www.vh1.com/a..._gary/bio.jhtml

#10 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:38 PM

Thurston is a better Moore.

WORD!!!

#11 grzegorz_panek

grzegorz_panek
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • Original Name: grzegorz_panek

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:58 PM

Thanks, Z!

Moore is great, he's one of my favourite guitarists. Sometimes he's just blue (which is only good), sometimes he's faster than most shreds. Great sense of melody.
"Grzeg (...) spending years in the Vistula River Delta picking Miss Takamine with a bottle-neck on his finger!)" - Dadfad
IPB Image
New track - Mister Sandman

#12 metalchick666

metalchick666
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,367 posts
  • Original Name: metalchick666

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:32 PM

nice job dude.

but when are you ever gonna do on about my idol? :cry:

RIP Dime.

#13 pbaxter2001

pbaxter2001
  • GZ Regular
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:37 PM

no one gets that this is just copied from vh1.com ?

#14 pbaxter2001

pbaxter2001
  • GZ Regular
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:38 PM

metalchick who is your idol?
It will take about 10 minutes..

#15 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:39 PM

dimebag darrel or darrel dimebag. i forget which it is, hes panteras guitarist anyway and he kicks ass

#16 gravity

gravity
  • GZ Regular
  • 32,387 posts
  • Original Name: gravity

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:40 PM

no one gets that this is just copied from vh1.com ?

Did he claim it was original work?
BOOM

#17 metalchick666

metalchick666
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,367 posts
  • Original Name: metalchick666

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:41 PM

dimebag darrel or darrel dimebag. i forget which it is, hes panteras guitarist anyway and he kicks ass

dimebag darrell. he is god. i worship him. i am his sex slave. ohmy.gif

RIP Dime.

#18 pbaxter2001

pbaxter2001
  • GZ Regular
  • 19,765 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:43 PM

He gave no credit to VH1.com. If you copy someone elses work word for word you should say who wrote the artical.

*ignore mode on*

#19 steppinout

steppinout
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Original Name: steppinout

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:46 PM

Gary Moore's a little too corny for my taste, but there's no denying that he's an excellent guitarist.

#20 gravity

gravity
  • GZ Regular
  • 32,387 posts
  • Original Name: gravity

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:46 PM

He gave no credit to VH1.com. If you copy someone elses work word for word you should say who wrote the artical.

*ignore mode on*

Fair point. But equally he isn't earning anything off it. But yes still wrong.
BOOM

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...