Barry White

25 replies to this topic

#1 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  • Original Name: angusyoungfan

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:08 AM

Hello and welcome to Legends number 16 smile.gif This week it is the lord of love the king of soul mr Barry White
So read on and enjoy smile.gif

Biography

Barry White the man who many men envy because of his charm with the ladies , Barry White the man who ladies adore ,the man who is the lord of love ,the voice ,the beats ,the songs . Barry White has inspired not just one generation but three and was still touring until he came to an unfortunate end at age 58 . Barry White is gone but not forgotten by the fans and so with that I introduce you to Barry White smile.gif

Barry White born Barry Lee on the 12th of September 1944 in Galveston Texas USA . But After a move they went to Los Angeles where Barry was raised .Barry had been singing since the age of four but It was in LA that Barry started to submerge himself into the dark depths of music his mother paid for piano lessons and before long Barry was getting good , so good that while still young (11 years old to be precise) Barry played on the hit "Goodnight My Love" by Jesse Belvin . After this their was no stopping Barry but around his teens Barry started to notice the normal things that happen to a teenage kids the voice starts to change amongst other thing's but it would be the voice changing that gave Barry the biggest surprise . Barry awoke one day to find his voice had not only dropped but it had plummeted. If I remember rightly Barry commented in an interview about his voice breaking along the lines off " I mean I know my voice was gonna get lower but this was just ridiculous I didn't know what to do " im sure everybody would have reacted the same if you were to wake up with a voice a lower frequency than a double bass. But Barry didn't let this get him down and he once again resumes his music writing songs on the piano and the lyrics as well .

Barry started making records during the 60's under his own name " Barry Lee* and as a member of The Upfronts and The Atlantics And The Majestics . However successful he appeared to be with this Barry actually found greater success as a backroom figure guiding the careers of Felice Taylor and Viola Wills amongst others . In 1969 Barry put together the female vocal trio Love Unlimited with the voices of Dinae Taylor,Glodean James (who later became Barry’s wife) and her sister Line . Not only was he the founder of Love Unlimited but he was also the founder of The Love Unlimited Orchestra, a 40 piece ensemble to accompany the Vocal trio and Barry. Barry also conducted the orchestra, composed and arranged so a busy man he was . Love Unlimited achieved success in 1972 with the song "Walking In The Rain With The One I Love" featuring Barry's gravelly passion-soaked voice on the telephone not only did this give success to the trio but it rejuvenated Barry's own career during which he scored major US hits with songs like "Im Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby" , "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up"(both songs in 1973) , "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe" and "Your The First, The Last, My Everything" (Both in 1974) . These songs were not only popular in the US as the UK proved to be just as submerged by Barry's seductive voice. And with these songs Barry established a great formula blending catchy pop/sould melodies with sweeping arrangements and his husky growl of a voice. The style quickly verged on self-parody as the sexual content of the lyrics grew more explicit, but although his pop hits grew less towards the end of the 70's Barry remained the idolatry subject of live performances. The singers last major US hit was in 1977 when "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next To Me" went into the top 5. The following year he entered the UK top 20 with a cover of the classic Billy Joel song "Just The Way You Are" . He later undertook several recordings with Glodean White but experienced a fallow period before returning to the UK top 20 in 1987 with the song "Sho' You Right" . During the 90's Barry White kept himself busy with duo's and tours he re-recorded "All Around The World" the Lisa Stansfield hit with her aswell as bringing out a series of commercially successful albums which proved that he was more than just a cult figure . He was still touring until his death just last week. The legend that is Barry White may not be alive any more but he lives on through the music.

Discography

Well it is surprisingly hard to find a discography for Barry White but I managed to find this one I will just supply the link because he has quite a lot of albums anyway here you go.

http://www.livedaily...aphy.html?id=22

List Of Sources: www.vh1.com / www.google.com / www.alltheweb.com / me / TV shows / Biography channel/ http://launch.yahoo.com

And there you go that's another one successfully out of the way thank you for reading and I hope you have enjoyed it . Until Next Week smile.gif

Z smile.gif
http://www.soundclick.com/anguzyoungfan

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image
SRV One Heart One Soul One True Legend

#2 rabid_fox

rabid_fox

Turn around

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,883 posts
  • Original Name: rabid_fox

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:09 AM

A nice salute to the voice of love.
Posted Image
Looks grim right now.

#3 gravity

gravity
  • GZ Regular
  • 32,387 posts
  • Original Name: gravity

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:11 AM

A nice salute to the voice of love.

Agreed.

And a list of sources to satisfy the knob
BOOM

#4 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:17 AM

very suitable choice
rip baz

#5 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • 29,995 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:46 AM

Good work Zak, as usual. need i say more. Who hasn`t made out to the baritone voice of Barry White. The God of Lurvvvve.
R I P barry White.

#6 led_zep

led_zep
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Original Name: led_zep

Posted 12 July 2003 - 12:05 PM

Another excellent selection for "Legends". Good job

#7 gwillaker

gwillaker
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,359 posts
  • Original Name: gwillaker

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:03 PM

Thats some nice work. A fitting tribute indeed! I didnt realise he was born on September 12. He was only 1 day, and 40 years older than me!

#8 pbaxter2001

pbaxter2001
  • GZ Regular
  • 19,765 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: pbaxter2001

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:24 PM

Very well done. wink.gif smile.gif

#9 angusyoungfan

angusyoungfan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  • Original Name: angusyoungfan

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:30 PM

Very well done.  wink.gif smile.gif

Thanks . In your avatar you look crazy with that long hair like some metalhead Iron Maidne fan smile.gif

Z smile.gif
http://www.soundclick.com/anguzyoungfan

Thanks Mistymountainhop
user posted image
SRV One Heart One Soul One True Legend

#10 grzegorz_panek

grzegorz_panek
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • Original Name: grzegorz_panek

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:38 PM

Good stuff!
"Grzeg (...) spending years in the Vistula River Delta picking Miss Takamine with a bottle-neck on his finger!)" - Dadfad
IPB Image
New track - Mister Sandman

#11 michael_stipe

michael_stipe
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Original Name: michael_stipe

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:58 PM

holy lord man, 16 legends!!! Last time I saw one it was like number 5!

just thought of a good way to say FU(K - k so its not that good... never mind, lets experiment... FVCK, thats okay... fvck... works in small letters too... FUC!<... thats not great.... fu<k... average... FU<K... still average/// fcuk... you get the gist but its been done... fook... thats good but too northern... ah f*ck off

Stipe: hmm... who's that sexy young fox i wonder...
Yorke: help me

songs

#12 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:15 PM

I like some of your choices for Legends and some I don't care for so much. I never really liked Barry White. His music just doesn't do it for me. I'm just not a big fan of R&B, period. Though I will say that I like Barry much much more than a whole lot of other R&B dudes. But this is GTU. As far as I know Barry didn't play guitar. There are alot of guitarists who have passed on- Roy Buchanan or Danny Gatton for example- who might have made a better choice here.

#13 gwillaker

gwillaker
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:25 PM

I like some of your choices for Legends and some I don't care for so much.  I never really liked Barry White.  His music just doesn't do it for me.  I'm just not a big fan of R&B, period.  Though I will say that I like Barry much much more than a whole lot of other R&B dudes.  But this is GTU.  As far as I know Barry didn't play guitar.  There are alot of guitarists who have passed on- Roy Buchanan or Danny Gatton for example- who might have made a better choice here.

I didnt know Danny Gatton had died. I wasnt a huge fan or anything.

#14 gwillaker

gwillaker
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:27 PM

Very well done.  wink.gif smile.gif

Thanks . In your avatar you look crazy with that long hair like some metalhead Iron Maidne fan smile.gif

Z smile.gif

What are you on about? He just looks like an old man with long hair. 8)

#15 itlof

itlof
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Original Name: itlof

Posted 12 July 2003 - 07:11 PM

Wow, I couldn't write that much about Barry White to save my life

#16 Pablo-Escobar

Pablo-Escobar
  • 17 posts
  • Original Name: Pablo-Escobar

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:05 PM

Barry White before SRV????????????????????????? sad.gif

#17 J.Hoang301

J.Hoang301
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Original Name: J.Hoang301

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

Barry white, THe man with the voice of jesus in a sexual way
user posted image

"Blues was created when the first cheating man met the first lying woman"

"I'm going to punch you in the ovary. Yep. Straight shot. Right to the babymaker." Ron Burgandy

#18 musicman2000

musicman2000
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Original Name: musicman2000

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

i read this and was just wondering what his vocal range was. just curious.

#19 the_cynics

the_cynics
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Original Name: the_cynics

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:20 AM

Can we have Stevie Wonder on here? I don't really count Barry White as a ledgend...I know he's famous and sold a lot records but I kindof put him in the same place as Luther Vandross...
www.myspace.com/theruntlitterlions err...thats the band im in

#20 randallellguitar

randallellguitar
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: randallellguitar

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]I agree, even though this post is late. Roy Buchanan is a great guitarist. The lead singer of his band, Billy Price, was friends with my dad a while back. All I want to know is why they dont have Roy Buchanan live tabs. Can I Change My Mind Live is a good song. Peace

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...