7 replies to this topic

#1 metallicafreak02

metallicafreak02
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • Original Name: metallicafreak02

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:05 PM

What exactly is a pre-amp and what does it do? What is a power amp? When using a power amp, does it take the place of a regular amp head? Or do I need to use both? Thank you.

#2 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,137 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:22 PM

ok - ur pre amp is what the plain signal goes in through and it gives it some balls - the over drive and gai8n and it sets the treble bass and mid's - then when the signlal goes thru that - it is chunkier and then it hits the power amp which uses that signal and really belts it out - the least difference in wattage between your preamp and power amp i think is better im not sure but i beleive so - so then when it goes thru the power amp it distorts less and doesnt deteriorate the sound and comes out clearer!
thats how i think of it - i know what it does but cant describve it totally in words - o if u had a head powering another head the second head would have less power pushin to do so it takes the load of the second amp
am i makin sence?

#3 metallicafreak02

metallicafreak02
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • Original Name: metallicafreak02

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:31 PM

So let's just say I have a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier full stack. Both 150 watt cabinets. Would I like get a rack and put the power amp and pre-amp both on the rack and then set it so it sounds good?

#4 ericman197

ericman197

namuchsupwichoo?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts
  • Original Name: ericman197

Posted 22 August 2003 - 08:32 PM

errr...

a preamp is what shapes your tone. It has your bass, mid, and treble. Gain and other such things can be found here also. The preamp just makes your guitar sound good.

The poweramp provides the power. I'm not sure what the other guy was talking about, but basically it boosts the signal and gives it power. You can plug your preamp into any poweramp, and the poweramp will do the actual amplification.

#5 metallicat980

metallicat980
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • Original Name: metallicat980

Posted 22 August 2003 - 11:37 PM

so you dont need a head unit. if you had a rack preamp and a power amp you could run it into speakers?
ten thousand jaded tourists
who've traded in their hearts and hands for
disposable cameras, set to document to decay
set to capture just enough of life to catalogue the things we throw away
My Soundclick

#6 mojomaniac

mojomaniac
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts
  • Original Name: mojomaniac

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:15 AM

so you dont need a head unit. if you had a rack preamp and a power amp you could run it into speakers?

Yes.
Your combo's and head's have a pre-amp and a power-amp built in. The pre-amp converts the signal from just a plain vibration of strings into whatever your EQ is set at, with all the treble, bass, mids and gain. The signal then goes from the pre-amp to your poweramp, where the signal gets amplified, louder.
You can buy seperate rack preamps, and I'm not sure if poweramps are racks, but you also buy seperate power-amps.
[b]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>One Dead Dream <<< NEW TRACK UP!!!</span>

#7 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,137 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 23 August 2003 - 01:19 AM

errr...

a preamp is what shapes your tone. It has your bass, mid, and treble. Gain and other such things can be found here also. The preamp just makes your guitar sound good.

The poweramp provides the power. I'm not sure what the other guy was talking about, but basically it boosts the signal and gives it power. You can plug your preamp into any poweramp, and the poweramp will do the actual amplification.

thats what i said

just i added that the preamp gives it a little power aswell - which takes the load off the power amp also!

#8 bluesbass

bluesbass
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts
  • Original Name: bluesbass

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:31 AM

its as simple as this:
preamp = EQ/tonal shaping and gain.
power amp = wattage/how loud you can get the signal of the preamp

both are present in heads or combo althoguh combos have the speakers as well all in one box.

preamps do have some output power (wattage) but its generally very small and they don't tend to have speaker outputs other than the occasional headphone jack. preamp wattages are pretty inconsequential. matching their output impedance to the necessary input impedance of a power amp is more important but i wouldn't worry about that so much unless you are not using a coventional pre- or power-amp... this is why you generally can't plug a guitar, or even most effects pedals (unless they have a d.i. mode) straight into a power amp or even some mixers: the impedances don't match up properly and your signal is either too strong or too weak. :wink:
user posted image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...