o brother where art thouthat one blues song

12 replies to this topic

#1 bobdingwood

bobdingwood

i have a very sexy learning disorder...sexlexia

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
  • Location:southern california aka nothern california (northern is slang for southern in california)
  • Original Name: bobdingwood

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:27 PM

hey im sure alot of you have seen the movie o brother where are thou, i was wondering what that guys name was, the black one who plays guitar, cause hes a really person

also, this guitar playing black guy also plays this one song around the campfire, i have no idea what the song is but i know that the whole thing has been recorded cause ive heard it on some tv show, i would really like to know what the song is called

thank you

#2 mojomaniac

mojomaniac
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts
  • Original Name: mojomaniac

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:11 AM

Is it Robert Johnson? I remember in the movie the black guy says he sold his soul at the crossroads, and if it was a real person, Robert Johnson or Robert Jackson or something like that was mentioned to have sold his soul to the devil so he could play guitar really well.

Of course I could be wrong. I think I am. dry.gif
[b]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>One Dead Dream <<< NEW TRACK UP!!!</span>

#3 theagent

theagent
  • 35 posts
  • Original Name: theagent

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:22 AM

loved that movie...actually yeah, it's SUPPOSED to be Robert Johnson....but in the movie his name was Tommy Johnson....don't know who played those guitar parts though.
but I love the soundtrack.

#4 quigs

quigs

Yup.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,608 posts
  • Original Name: quigs

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:51 AM

I think that the group who played the main song "Man of Constant Sorrow" did most of the tracks for the movie. Side note that movie is awesome and has a GREAT soundtrack.
user posted image

GO RED SOX!!!!!!

View Post

#5 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,908 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:09 AM

You probably mean the tune "Hard Time Killing Floor", extremely blue sounding. (That was the tune done in the movie by the person they called Tommy Johnson. There was a real Tommy Johnson who recorded in the late '20s, but he didn't play in that style.) It was originally recorded by Skip James, a Mississippi bluesman, in the late 1920'. It's in open-D minor tuning. I've tabbed the tune in the style of Skip James which is very similar to the movie but not exactly. I learned how to play it many years ago from Bowling Green John Cephas, an old Virginia bluesman, who'd learned to play it from Skip himself. Robert Johnson (who claimed to be related to Tommy, but was not) is the bluesman who was said to have sold his soul to the Devil (also the story-line in the movie "Crossroads" with Steve Vai, etc).
Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

Posted Image
John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#6 lowden

lowden
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Original Name: lowden

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:10 AM

Hard Time Killing Floor Blues written by Skip James and performed on 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou', by Chris Thomas King and was recorded live on the film set. Chris Thomas King by the way is the actor who played 'Tommy Johnson' in the movie.

#7 bobdingwood

bobdingwood

i have a very sexy learning disorder...sexlexia

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
  • Location:southern california aka nothern california (northern is slang for southern in california)
  • Original Name: bobdingwood

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Nov 26 2003, 12:09 PM)
You probably mean the tune "Hard Time Killing Floor", extremely blue sounding. (That was the tune done in the movie by the person they called Tommy Johnson. There was a real Tommy Johnson who recorded in the late '20s, but he didn't play in that style.) It was originally recorded by Skip James, a Mississippi bluesman, in the late 1920'. It's in open-D minor tuning. I've tabbed the tune in the style of Skip James which is very similar to the movie but not exactly. I learned how to play it many years ago from Bowling Green John Cephas, an old Virginia bluesman, who'd learned to play it from Skip himself. Robert Johnson (who claimed to be related to Tommy, but was not) is the bluesman who was said to have sold his soul to the Devil (also the story-line in the movie "Crossroads" with Steve Vai, etc).

thanks dadfad, i expected you to know this one

#8 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,908 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:03 AM

No problem. Yeah, Open-Dm tuning is about as blue as it gets. It's a good tune, and Chris King did a nice job with it too. That movie was no Academy Award Winner for a story-line, but it really had some nice tunes in it.

Posted Image

#9 firefly66

firefly66
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: firefly66

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

Robert Johnson died at age 29 after recording only 28 songs. In the depression era.

#10 redharmony

redharmony

shreddin' the blues

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts
  • Original Name: redharmony

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

love "killin floor blues". i actually prefer Chris' version

im a graphic designer now, see!: http://brandmooreart.daportfolio.com/
soundclick: http://www.soundclick.com/brandonmoore

#11 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,908 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:45 AM

Skip also recorded the tune several times in the sixties after his original 1931 sessions recordings. I think the best version he ever recorded was for Vanguard (1967 I think) on an LP called "Skip James -Today" which I prefer to his original as well as his others (mostly recorded live... at Newport, other gigs, etc.

His guitar skills had probably actually improved since the thirties and the recording production techniques were far superior to the thirties.

(I think that recording is also on a later Vanguard re-release compilation CD.)

Posted Image

#12 redharmony

redharmony

shreddin' the blues

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts
  • Original Name: redharmony

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

dont believe ive heard any alternates versions from Skip. i will try to find it

im a graphic designer now, see!: http://brandmooreart.daportfolio.com/
soundclick: http://www.soundclick.com/brandonmoore

#13 Pentatonic

Pentatonic
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Pentatonic

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:13 AM

I know it's an old thread but hopefully this helps.... The guys name I'm real life is Chris king. He is portraying a blues musician named Tommy Johnson who was around before Robert Johnson.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...