- - - - -

Frank Zappaby Frankyz84

43 replies to this topic

#21 Killem234

Killem234
  • 20 posts
  • Original Name: Killem234

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:32 AM

I think that Frank Zappa is kind of underated he is really good....by the way one of my friends found a picture of him sitting on the can it was pretty funny I will try to get it and post it up in here.

#22 noodle69

noodle69
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Original Name: noodle69

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (Killem234 @ Nov 9 2005, 11:32 AM)
I think that Frank Zappa is kind of underated he is really good....by the way one of my friends found a picture of him sitting on the can it was pretty funny I will try to get it and post it up in here.

the guy was severely underated,by a very long way.

composer
musician
sociologist
arranger
conductor

people in the commercial world breathed a sigh of relief when he died as he had endeavoured for most of his musical career to try to move music forward.
music stagnates if there is no-one to help it evolve.

he did that.

I do not hero worship but, if their is someone that i admire as a musician/entertainer then frank zappa has my deepest!

by the way if you go to ebay you can get that picture on a coffee mug!

laugh.gif

zappa n vai jamming

Edited by noodle69, 05 November 2007 - 05:14 AM.

remember that i love you - no matter what i say

#23 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Original Name: GoDrex

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:26 PM

Francesco Zappola

Where did that come from? Never heard of that before...

"Iím not a virtuoso guitar player. A virtuoso can play anything and I canít. I can play only what I know, to the extent that I have developed enough manual dexterity to get the point across..." - Frank Zappa

#24 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,995 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (GoDrex @ Dec 3 2007, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Francesco Zappola

Where did that come from? Never heard of that before...

That was his birth name. biggrin.gif

#25 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

I did a search and couldn't find any mention of that name anywhere. In The Real FZ Book he explains how he always thought his first name was Francis (which he hated), but that he found out before his first overseas tour that his actual name was Frank (not much better) from his birth certificate that he needed for his passport.

"Iím not a virtuoso guitar player. A virtuoso can play anything and I canít. I can play only what I know, to the extent that I have developed enough manual dexterity to get the point across..." - Frank Zappa

#26 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

The Entire Nation of Poland, herself.

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,072 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: jenniferdurst

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

I see no "Francesco Zappola" on wikipedia... Idk, Rick, you're going to have to back that one up. *laugh*

Sweet-ass! 351.5 Major-PointsÔŅĹ, 1 Loki DucatÔŅĹ, 1 Herr Mark, 5 Jackson Quints~
"you, my dear, are fabulous" -Trevor James Hawes
"Note to self. Hide penis." -Gus

#27 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,995 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (jenniferdurst @ Dec 8 2007, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see no "Francesco Zappola" on wikipedia... Idk, Rick, you're going to have to back that one up. *laugh*

The information came from several sources including a couple of biographys. The research i did for this peice was done at college, around 1998, when i had no access to the internet, and i did all my research the old fashion way, the library, and book stalls. biggrin.gif

Edited by frankyz84, 08 December 2007 - 05:00 PM.

#28 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

• Ombudsman
  • 15,072 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

....li...brar....y....? Oh, right. That's where everybody goes to have sex once before college is over. That 'books' part threw me off.

Sweet-ass! 351.5 Major-PointsÔŅĹ, 1 Loki DucatÔŅĹ, 1 Herr Mark, 5 Jackson Quints~

#29 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,995 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (jenniferdurst @ Dec 9 2007, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....li...brar....y....? Oh, right. That's where everybody goes to have sex once before college is over.

You wanna take the piss, fine. i used to spend a lot of time in the library, studying, i took my music course very seriously.

I will concede that i cannot back up what i wrote, as it was all taken from books, same as my Yes article. Also that GoDrex could be right as to the name Francis, as i have also read the Real FZ book, but about 3 years after i wrote this article. I do not remember the name of the author of the book i got the original Frank Zappa name from, but i would trust Wiki even less, as it has been shown quite often that it is not exactly accurate. I also can only be as accurate as the information i read, where ever i get it from.

#30 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

• Ombudsman
  • 15,072 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

o_O Simmer down there. Believe it or not, I've used the library before...and for my history of rock and roll class. happy.gif

#31 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

The Real Frank Zappa Book, by Frank Zappa and Peter Occhiogrosso - page 15:

"My real name is Frank Vincent Zappa (not Francis - I'll explain it later)."

page 245:

"(I was in my mid-twenties when I found out! Up until the time I had to get a passport for the first European tour, I thought my name was Francis - a name I had always hated. In order to get the passport I had to present my birth certificate - a mysterious document I had never seen before. My mother mailed it to me from California, and on it, much to my delight, was a name OTHER THAN FRANCIS - well it wasn't that good - "Frank" isn't much of a bargain - but I had thought for years, even printing it on album covers, that I was Francis Vincent Zappa Junior. How could I be such a fool?)"

----

by the way I just remembered THIS:
http://wiki.killugly...Francesco_Zappa

Yes i know it's a wiki - but it's the actual liner notes from the Francesco Zappa album that FZ did. I never got the album because it's not Frank's music so it never really interested me much.

Edited by GoDrex, 08 December 2007 - 10:13 PM.

#32 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

OK - since I've been mainly harping on the facts around his name, I figured I should contribute something real. Especially since I love Frank, and I think people should know a little about him.

So today I whipped up a mix of some clips that I've been collecting over the years.

Frank Zappa, various interview clips, PSA's etc...

It's about 16 megs so I recommend doing a right click, save as...
Enjoy!

Edited by GoDrex, 09 December 2007 - 06:09 PM.

#33 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

• Ombudsman
  • 15,072 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

Very nice! Any particular reason you made that or just dinking around? The Super Fan?

#34 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

Thanks. smile.gif Well, I run tiny little internet/FM pirate radio station that kind of got started to play Zappa on the air and I've been collecting clips for a while. Today I just thought it would be fun to actually contribute something of some interest, other than just messing around and harping on the correct version of his name. wink.gif It only took about 20 minutes to throw that together since all of the parts are edited out already. And yeah I'm a super fan, but incredibly, I'm aware of people that are even more die hard than I am. I don't even have all of his official output.

Edited by GoDrex, 09 December 2007 - 06:07 PM.

#35 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

• Ombudsman
  • 15,072 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

I just checked out the current playlist...I know, unfortunately, very little of it. sad.gif Regardless that's pretty cool. Is this something you threw together yourself or are there scripts laying around for this kinds of stuff?

#36 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

http://www.wfzr.net/radio/playlist.php - - if you were to do some browsing/searching around there I'm sure you'd find some familiar stuff. I think at this time of day it was a particular show/genre thing happening.

Yeah the website is a script that comes with the program SAM Broadcaster. I just took their template and changed the look of it slightly.

#37 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

from another thread - just in case people might miss it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok - for those put off by all that vulgar sex (yuck!) talk in some Zappa songs, I come baring gifts...

Frank Zappa Guitar Extravagant Ganza! - mixed by me. Sorry it's all one track. Burn it to CD and listen to it in the car. Ooops - there's a vulgar part on this. Some bad band members say "blow job" a bunch of times. Otherwise it's clean (except for tons of extremely vulgar guitar soloing).

public radio documentary... it's good stuff. Learn something. smile.gif

A selection of instrumentals... edited and arranged...

my clip mix - - various clips from interviews, psa's, etc...

that ought to be enough to blow anyone's mind hahaha wink.gif I'd say the selection of instrumentals is your best bet and most user friendly. Or listen to the doc and hear other people put him on a pedestal.

#38 seansdadj

seansdadj
  • 9 posts
  • Original Name: seansdadj

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

Another great musician....Mister Zappa

#39 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

Let's here it for another great Italian... Frank Zappa wink.gif

#40 GoDrex

GoDrex
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

anyone want a tough challenge? wink.gif

http://www.amazon.co...r...1530&sr=8-3

only 1 for 97 pounds? I guess it's a hard to find book.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...