- - - - -

AC/DCDirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (difinitive)

6 replies to this topic

#1 pauliejay

pauliejay

ad hominem ad nauseum

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Original Name: pauliejay

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:25 PM

Submission courtesy of Paulie Jay

ALBUM: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (Original Australian release)
ARTIST: AC/DC
Producer: Harry Vanda and George Young
Recorded at Alberts Studio, Sydney, Australia.
Released 1976 on Albert Productions

Track listing
Side One
1. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
2. Ain't No Fun (Waiting €˜Round To Be A Millionaire)
3. There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'
4. Problem Child
Side Two
5. Squealer
6. Big Balls
7. R.I.P. (Rock In Peace)
8. Ride On
9. Jailbreak
All songs Young“ Scott “ Young

AC/DC's third album is a continuation and refinement of the hard rock/blues style they had become famous for. Packaged in a cover featuring a glorious colour pencil sketch of the band, this album was once again sliced, diced and repackaged for the American market. A real shame really, as this original cover blows the socks off the awful people with their eyes covered picture on the US release. The production is slightly more tight in sound than T.N.T, and a little harder edged.

The band had settled on a sound and direction by this stage, and consolidated their stance with an album of hard power riffs and blues licks. Opening proceedings is Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap in which Bon Scott menacingly offers to take care of all our dark problems, for a fee. The solo in this song is manic, with a wonderful left handed tapping figure climbing ever upwards, while Mark Evans Gibson Grabber bass sounds like it's strung with enormous rubber bands. This song was not only a massive hit, but also features one of the most misquoted choruses in music history.

Next up is the long and driving saga of Ain't No Fun. Bon Scott had the ability to convey an honesty to his audience that other frontmen couldn't match. Not so much a spokesman for the common man, Scott never became affected by the industry, especially when he finally started to make some money. At this point, despite their popularity, AC/DC weren't exactly rolling in cash anyway! Scott's straight ahead delivery of lines such as I've got patches on the patches of my old blue jeans/ Well they used to be blue, when they used to be new, when they used to be clean just couldn't be pulled off by a singer with no idea of what poverty is.

Keeping things moving is There's Gonna Be Some Rockin', a twelve bar blues shuffle sporting more of Angus Young's Chuck Berry tinged licks. It's a real nostalgic rave up. Got a big fat sound/ Gonna share it round/ Got a big bass drum/ gonna have some fun - nothing too serious.

Next is Problem Child, and electrifying hard rocker. Another in a long line of meanest man in town type songs, Problem Child was released in the USA as a single. Featuring a false ending and some seriously heavy guitars, this is a great ending to side one.

Side two starts of with the moody Squealer. Opening with an almost groove bassline, this song builds expertly from menacing opening to it's blistering conclusion with Angus Young at full tilt.

Following on from Squealer is another example of Bon Scott's music hall cheek. Big Balls is full of eye rolling double entendre - really there is no other vocalist in the world that you could imagine singing this song. Taking the persona of an upper class toff and laying on the ham with a trowel, this song raises a smile but is mercifully short!

Getting the engine going again is R.I.P. (Rock In Peace) which is essentially There's Gonna Be Some Rockin with different words. It would be a shame to have to describe a track on a nine song album as filler, but no other word really comes to mind. The playing on this song is good, and AC/DC can do this kind of song in their sleep better than most but not twice on an album.

Following on is Ride On a song featuring possibly the best performance by Bon Scott and Angus Young on any album. Laid back but with an earnest feel, this song uses dynamics to perfection. Cruising in the verses where Scott sings expertly about life on the road, the song builds to a crescendo in the bridge to a point of no return then no release! The chorus returns to the laid back feel of the verses. This denial of release shows that they band have matured and progressed as songwriter and performers. Not to mention the lyrics, which are superb. Bon Scott sounds road weary and resigned to his fate when he sings One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways then lets out the smallest of self depreciating laughs, you know that he's not going to be changing anytime soon. Angus Young provides an immaculate and emotional solo, perfectly capturing the essence of the moment.

Closing the album is the monster hit Jailbreak. Stealing the riff from Gloria and adding several decibels of Marshall amplifier, Jailbreak is classic storytelling about a friend locked away in jail for a crime he did commit, but with good excuse. There are some great lines in this song Big man lyin on the ground/ with a hole in his body where his life had been being particularly graphic. Breaking down to just the bass keeping a pulse, the story climaxes with triumph and tragedy. He made it out with a bullet in his back!. This song also features an endearingly goofy video clip in which the band, outfitted as prisoners and prison guards, play in an old quarry while rather non-exciting explosions go off in the background.

All in all an exciting album with lots of interesting guitar bits to sink your teeth into. The US release is an altogether different album, with different songs and artwork. This definitive release is an all time classic.

#2 freebird784ever

freebird784ever
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts
  • Original Name: freebird784ever

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:57 AM

Jailbreak is one of my favorite AC/DC songs, and everyone loves to sing Big Balls.

The Coolest Guitar Player Of All Time

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

#3 guitarfan19

guitarfan19
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Original Name: guitarfan19

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:17 AM

yeah this album is cool. i think Bon's lyrics are good on this album. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap reallly is a good song and is kind of underrated.

RIP Bon Scott

#4 metallicac/dc

metallicac/dc

Θηρόποσα Χε

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,354 posts
  • Original Name: metallicac/dc

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:46 PM

Big Balls was funny when i first heard it, then i knew the real meaning laugh.gif . my favorite songs on that Dirty Deeds (my Dirty Deeds cd ahs different songs) is Problem Child, the title track and Jailbreak
Posted Image

#5 ACDC kid 1

ACDC kid 1
  • 65 posts
  • Original Name: ACDC kid 1

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

I love this cd . It is so cool. Dirty Deeds

Edited by ACDC kid 1, 03 May 2005 - 07:29 PM.

user posted image

R.I.P Jimi Hendrix 1942-1970

#6 tml

tml
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts
  • Original Name: tml

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:41 PM

Ride On is a beautiful song. Yes, a beautiful AC/DC song. Bon's lyrics actually have a message and meaning behind them. It's kinda getting down into his feelings and stuff, but still keeping that AC/DC blues rock vibe. ONe of my favourite songs of all time.

#7 acdcfreak13

acdcfreak13
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Original Name: acdcfreak13

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:45 PM

Great album. One of AC/DC's stronger ones in my opinion.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...