lesser brand guitarsworth it?

10 replies to this topic

#1 sbaxter89

sbaxter89
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Original Name: sbaxter89

Posted 23 February 2004 - 06:59 PM

I can't remember where i heard it. But lesser brand guitars can be as good or better than popular brand guitars for cheaper than the popular brands. If so, how about these babies, specifically the lp's. Do you think they are just as good as a real epi or gibson lp?

Guitar Works
user posted image
Oh man...

#2 babyray

babyray
  • 33 posts
  • Original Name: babyray

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:05 PM

No.

#3 ericman197

ericman197

namuchsupwichoo?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts
  • Original Name: ericman197

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:09 PM

Smaller brands are the only ones which produce truly top quality guitars at fair prices. Those however, are just cheapo copies. On par with Epiphone? It's possible. Gibson? No way.

#4 drewby9000

drewby9000

So long and thanks for all the fish

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,391 posts
  • Original Name: drewby9000

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:10 PM

If by lesser you mean lesser known, then yes. Sometimes they are MUCH better guitars than what Fender and Gibson will put out for the same price. Jay Turser is (and this is from what I hear from several fine guitarists, not a personal experience) well known for producing quality guitars which are superior to fender gutiars of equal cost.

The cost of a Fender or a Gibson isn't entirely in the work, the cost has a lot to do with the name.

EDIT: Be wary of guitars under two or three hundred dollars though.

Edited by drewby9000, 23 February 2004 - 07:11 PM.

IPB Image

#5 ericman197

ericman197

namuchsupwichoo?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, Jay Turser is one of the good budget brands.

#6 sbaxter89

sbaxter89
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Original Name: sbaxter89

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:13 PM

yah,
i have heard that too... that a ton of the reason why fender guitars and such cost so much is just because of the name and they can.

If those are just cheapo copies, does anyone have any good "less known" brand guitars that are extremely good quality?

If so, please, say so.
user posted image
Oh man...

#7 ericman197

ericman197

namuchsupwichoo?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (sbaxter89 @ Feb 24 2004, 03:13 AM)
yah,
i have heard that too... that a ton of the reason why fender guitars and such cost so much is just because of the name and they can. 

If those are just cheapo copies, does anyone have any good "less known" brand guitars that are extremely good quality?

If so, please, say so.

Well, they might be good. I just called them cheapo copies because they're low priced copy guitars. A REALLY good brand of guitars that's cheap would be Daion. They made awesome handmade luthier quality guitars and basses in the late 70s and early 80s, but they folded as no one wanted a Japanese guitar/bass. They weren't very expensive, so people assumed they were garbage. However, they're very nice quality. They're not very common, but from time to time you'll see one go on ebay for $300, give or take $100. Recently word of their quality has been spreading; I've seen some near $1,000. They made good acoustics too.

#8 axo151

axo151
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts
  • Original Name: axo151

Posted 23 February 2004 - 08:36 PM

i find that gibson copies usually dont fail in tone, but playability, constructoin, and hardware. the other guitarist in my end has a high end epi, ive got a gibson. the pickups dont sound too different, but his goes out of tune like a mofo, ine doesnt. Ive played plenty of epis, and this is common. Another thing is that tons and tons and tons of stopbar/tailpiece bridges cut your ctrings. They simpy are poorly made, and the grooves your strings go in cut into the strings. Ive seen it on 1500 dollar semihollowbodies, plenty of epis, and everything else in between that has this kind of bridge. alos, gibson wood is oftena better cut. the epiphone standard doesnt even has maple, the binding is just for decoration.

anyways, the bottom like is, i dont need to tune my guitar, ever, i have never broken a string (literally, never) in the 5 months ive owned this guitar, and it is constructed very well.

now if you dont want to spend upwards of 1200 on a gibson, epiphones are still good guitras.

I'm not as big a fender expert, but yeah, i think you pay more for the name on those than you pay for the name on a gibson. Id say the stratocaster is the most copied guitar of all time. you can argue agaisnt that, but thats just my view. the american strat is a great guitar, around 800 bucks nowadays, so its not as pricey as the gibsons. id save up for that.

Less known guitar brands that are good.....Im a purist, there is nothing like a fender or gibson, they do it best. but if you want to go cheaper, check out schecter. personally im not a huge fan, but a lot of people like the, and they play nice. maybe washburn too. whatever floats your boat.

#9 mojomaniac

mojomaniac
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts
  • Original Name: mojomaniac

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:25 AM

I've heard of a brand 'J&D Luthiers', I think it's just an Aussie thing, but they seemed to make quality stuff, my local guitar store (full of budget crap) stocks some stuff and there was a 7-string in there that I quite liked (haven't bought one though so I can't tell you if they fall to bits or anything).
[b]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>One Dead Dream <<< NEW TRACK UP!!!</span>

#10 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 24 February 2004 - 01:43 AM

If you want some lesser known brands that still do some reasonably good stuff, check out Yamaha, Cort and maybe even someone like Fernandes, or some Arias.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#11 ayrin

ayrin
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Original Name: ayrin

Posted 24 February 2004 - 01:48 AM

you should check out greg bennett, I know samick has a bad name from the 80s and everything, but I recently aquired a high end greg bennett for a price I couldn't resist and it's a really nice guitar and plays awsome

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...