- - - - -

So... Line 6 sucks eh?

28 replies to this topic

#1 opranks612

opranks612
  • 66 posts
  • Original Name: opranks612

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:00 PM

Well, I was reading the other thread, and everyone was crapping on the Line 6 Spider. I'd been looking into amps in the $300 -$400 range, and a Line 6 Spider II 210 seemed like the best option for my needs (btw, they supposedly improved durastically since the original). I have no effects pedals, and not much income so I can't really afford to buy many. Which is why I looked into the modeling amps, and Behringer V-Ampires seemed too cheaply built.

The thing is, I probably won't be able to get a better amp for around 6 years (high school + college, and even then I probably won't be able to get one for a while). So what's the best amp I can get for my money, that will last me a long time, and has good clean, good distortion, and maybe a few built in effects? I've decided I definitely don't want a tube amp, because I don't have money for the upkeep, but I could possibly make do with a hybrid if it doesn't need rebiased or whatnot.

Thanks guys, especially if you waded through my barely comprehendable paragraphs.

#2 pimp_vince

pimp_vince

Laws, as effective a deterrant as broken condoms for birth contr

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Original Name: pimp_vince

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (opranks612 @ Apr 8 2004, 08:00 PM)
Well, I was reading the other thread, and everyone was crapping on the Line 6 Spider. I'd been looking into amps in the $300 -$400 range, and a Line 6 Spider II 210 seemed like the best option for my needs (btw, they supposedly improved durastically since the original). I have no effects pedals, and not much income so I can't really afford to buy many. Which is why I looked into the modeling amps, and Behringer V-Ampires seemed too cheaply built.

The thing is, I probably won't be able to get a better amp for around 6 years (high school + college, and even then I probably won't be able to get one for a while). So what's the best amp I can get for my money, that will last me a long time, and has good clean, good distortion, and maybe a few built in effects? I've decided I definitely don't want a tube amp, because I don't have money for the upkeep, but I could possibly make do with a hybrid if it doesn't need rebiased or whatnot.

Thanks guys, especially if you waded through my barely comprehendable paragraphs.

Vox AD 60 Valvetronix has what you're looking for. 1x12 so it's portable, probly around 600 ish$.

it's a great line of amps (but i don't trust the AD15 or 30... )

i have the 120, it's the dark one in my sig.

#3 opranks612

opranks612
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:06 PM

$600 is definitely out of my price range. I got myself a good guitar (nice washburn, not one of the duds either). I'd have to wait 2 more months to get the amp if it was $600. I'm sick and tired of playing on this fscking FirstAct I borrowed from a friend.

#4 gannesh_cyrian

gannesh_cyrian
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  • Original Name: gannesh_cyrian

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (opranks612 @ Apr 9 2004, 02:00 AM)

Hybrids are nice, and they are a great compromise of tube tone and SS reliability. I wouldn't cast Behringer out so fast...I've had a few Behringer products and most have developed a problem, but it was fixed 100% free of charge and has never had a problem since. Behringer backs their stuff great. They even have a cheap and nice hybrid that I have my eye on...

But aside from them, don't get the Valvetronix...they are too overpriced...(IMO - just a digitech pedal with a tube preamp and they said "we'll call it new technology!").

Fenders are a solid building block for great tone of any style, and are tough as nails. I've had a couple ones both over 20 years old and still cranking and taking abuse. With a cheap one, you might need a pedal or something for a good OD tone, unless you get something like on of their Stage series amps or the deluxe 90 or whatever. Check those out though.

I love Fenders....*drools*

#5 pimp_vince

pimp_vince

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (gannesh_cyrian @ Apr 8 2004, 09:03 PM)
But aside from them, don't get the Valvetronix...they are too overpriced...(IMO - just a digitech pedal with a tube preamp and they said "we'll call it new technology!").

i take offense to that... i didn't pay 1300 just to hear that.

but it doesn't sound like a tube amp at all. i have one of the amps it tries to emulate and all it does is try to emulate. it's good tone, but it's not the same as the real deal. tends to be a bit hollow sounding, as if it's already gone through the studio mixer and it's all polished up. so it's not really that great for gigging, unless you play literally EVERY kind of music.

#6 gannesh_cyrian

gannesh_cyrian
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (pimp_vince @ Apr 9 2004, 04:05 AM)

but it doesn't sound like a tube amp at all. i have one of the amps it tries to emulate and all it does is try to emulate. it's good tone, but it's not the same as the real deal. tends to be a bit hollow sounding, as if it's already gone through the studio mixer and it's all polished up. so it's not really that great for gigging, unless you play literally EVERY kind of music.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I DO think they are overpriced, but the other thing was something a friend said that I thought was clever...I've actually never played one, so my only substantial comment is my opinion that they are overpriced.

#7 pimp_vince

pimp_vince

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (gannesh_cyrian @ Apr 8 2004, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (pimp_vince @ Apr 9 2004, 04:05 AM)

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I DO think they are overpriced, but the other thing was something a friend said that I thought was clever...I've actually never played one, so my only substantial comment is my opinion that they are overpriced.

ya it was a little pricey, but the guys gave me a pretty good deal on it. so i can't complain really. even though i have to sell it, which sucks.

#8 opranks612

opranks612
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 10:41 PM

How's the tone on a Marshall MG100DFX 2-Channel Combo Guitar Amplifier with DFX? Is it very versatile? What about the overdrive?

#9 stuh84

stuh84
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Original Name: stuh84

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:53 AM

Don't know why everyone complains about the upkeep of tube amps. I have two tube amps, one I've had for a year and a half, the other for 6 months. You know how much I've spent on the upkeep since I bought them?

Nothing

Some people may think Valvetronix are overpriced, but so far they are the only modeller that is worth anything, so to me that isn't overpriced, thats paying for something worth the price (or at least worth the rare experience of owning a good modeller, thats rare enough in itself)

#10 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE (stuh84 @ Apr 9 2004, 11:53 AM)
Don't know why everyone complains about the upkeep of tube amps.

Yeah, whilst a full retube can be a bit pricey (although no more than you;d spend on an average stomper really), if you think that it's something that you'll only be doing every couple of years if you need to (in fact, most of the time you don't need to replace all the tubes), it's a hel of a lot cheaper than the amount that you'd be spending on strings over the same period.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#11 quigs

quigs

Yup.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,608 posts
  • Original Name: quigs

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (stuh84 @ Apr 9 2004, 07:53 AM)
Don't know why everyone complains about the upkeep of tube amps. I have two tube amps, one I've had for a year and a half, the other for 6 months. You know how much I've spent on the upkeep since I bought them?

Nothing

I have never had any serious upkeep for my amps (both tube). One is from 1963 and one is 1987, neither of which has had any serious problems. I retubed the '63 for the first time about 3 years ago. And the '87 has only be retubed once since I have had it (about 2 years or so). All together I have spent probably about $75. Big whoop.
user posted image

GO RED SOX!!!!!!

View Post

#12 gannesh_cyrian

gannesh_cyrian
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:53 AM

The upkeep of tube amps isn't that bad, but they have a greater chance of breaking down right at a gig, so you should carry spare tubes at all times if possible.

The reason I think the Valvetronix are overpriced is this: why model when you can get a decent real tube amp for less than one of these!

#13 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:01 AM

I'm a bit partial to Line6 really.

Seen that Vetta head ? Cool, cool stuff. But for the price range you mentioned I suggest looking into a Flextone 2x12, or was it the Spider ? One of these too is a bit pants really, but I forgot which one...

#14 evileye

evileye

Cian

• Validating
  • 16,809 posts
  • Original Name: evileye

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (igorski @ Apr 9 2004, 01:01 PM)
I'm a bit partial to Line6 really.

Seen that Vetta head ? Cool, cool stuff. But for the price range you mentioned I suggest looking into a Flextone 2x12, or was it the Spider ? One of these too is a bit pants really, but I forgot which one...

Or if you just need 60 w just get the single speaker version. Great amps, better than the spider. Buy a second hand flextone II, or if you can get a second hand flextone III. You should get one for in/below your price range.

#15 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

Y'all should spend more time playing guitar instead of arguing which modeling amplifier is the best.

#16 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (misterhat @ Apr 9 2004, 11:24 AM)
Y'all should spend more time playing guitar instead of arguing which modeling amplifier is the best.

You's should spend more time playing guitar instead of posting over 5300 posts on a forum. wink.gif

#17 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:33 AM

tongue.gif blink.gif huh.gif dry.gif

#18 stuh84

stuh84
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Original Name: stuh84

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:13 AM

"The upkeep of tube amps isn't that bad, but they have a greater chance of breaking down right at a gig, so you should carry spare tubes at all times if possible."
And if a solid state breaks down.....you may as well kiss your amp goodbye and buy a new one, which costs more a tube or a brand new amp? Also they don't have a great chance of breaking down, theres probably no difference at all

"The reason I think the Valvetronix are overpriced is this: why model when you can get a decent real tube amp for less than one of these!"
Well, a tube amp contains one amp, a Valvetronix contains many. I wouldn't mind one as I already have some brilliant tube amps, and want something that is very versatile.

#19 opranks612

opranks612
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:18 AM

Anybody know of good used amp sites on the net? I'd use ebay, but my parents think that they'll get their identity stolen and their credit card raped just for using paypal or a money order if it's on ebay. Damn Barbara Walters for making them this way, damn her to hell.

Edited by opranks612, 09 April 2004 - 09:20 AM.

#20 pimp_vince

pimp_vince

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (opranks612 @ Apr 9 2004, 11:18 AM)
Anybody know of good used amp sites on the net? I'd use ebay, but my parents think that they'll get their identity stolen and their credit card raped just for using paypal or a money order if it's on ebay. Damn Barbara Walters for making them this way, damn her to hell.

try http://www.gbase.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...