#21 gannesh_cyrian

gannesh_cyrian
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  • Original Name: gannesh_cyrian

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (stuh84 @ Apr 9 2004, 05:13 PM)
"The upkeep of tube amps isn't that bad, but they have a greater chance of breaking down right at a gig, so you should carry spare tubes at all times if possible."
And if a solid state breaks down.....you may as well kiss your amp goodbye and buy a new one, which costs more a tube or a brand new amp? Also they don't have a great chance of breaking down, theres probably no difference at all

"The reason I think the Valvetronix are overpriced is this: why model when you can get a decent real tube amp for less than one of these!"
Well, a tube amp contains one amp, a Valvetronix contains many. I wouldn't mind one as I already have some brilliant tube amps, and want something that is very versatile.

All good points. I thought of those when I posted, but my opinions still stand. But you're right, if a SS amp breaks down, you're screwed, but a good one can last you ages without problems that would cause such a thing.

#22 stuh84

stuh84
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Original Name: stuh84

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:37 AM

I can't say I've seen someone like Yngwie Malmsteen having problems with his original Marshall heads either, you know, TUBE AMPS. They don't break down as easily as some people might think, far from it.

#23 opranks612

opranks612
  • 66 posts
  • Original Name: opranks612

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (stuh84 @ Apr 10 2004, 06:37 AM)
I can't say I've seen someone like Yngwie Malmsteen having problems with his original Marshall heads either, you know, TUBE AMPS. They don't break down as easily as some people might think, far from it.

True, true.

But if I'm not going to be able to replace a tube, let alone retube an entire amp in the span of 7 years, the risk changes a hell of a lot. Yngwie can afford to retube after every concert if he wants. I can't afford to do it at all.

#24 stuh84

stuh84
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Original Name: stuh84

Posted 10 April 2004 - 06:46 AM

So your telling me its impossible that you can afford about £5 or whatever that is in dollars to change a tube? Damn you must be destitude

#25 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:05 AM

To reiterate what's been said; tube amps aren't unreliable at all as long as you take reasonable care of them, they aren't likely to suddenly break down before a gig or anything any more than an SS amp is really. And, like I said, I'd bet that you'd spend a hel of a lot more on strings than you would on replacement tubes over the years. It's no big deal, really it isn't.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#26 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (opranks612 @ Apr 9 2004, 05:18 PM)
I'd use ebay, but my parents think that they'll get their identity stolen and their credit card raped just for using paypal or a money order if it's on ebay.

You know, it's umpteen times more riskier to hand your card over to a waiter in a restaurant or a clerk in a store and get them to make a transaction than it is for you to make a transaction online. And I wonder how many times your average person does that without worrying about it.
Besides, if you ever are a victim of credit card fraud then all you do is contact the credit card company and tell them, they will then refund your account and then they'll start persuing whoever's been using your card/card number illicitly. But like I said, buying online is incredibly safe (assuming you don't do anything stupid), risk is all relative and a lot of negativity about buying online is more fear of the unknown and hype about 'nightmare stories' than real issues.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#27 E§phil

E§phil
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • Location:San Antonio Posts: 456,293,012.013 Extra Posts: 231,012
  • Original Name: E§phil

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:21 PM

My brother has the Line 6 Spider 212. He got it got $350 in the paper w/ the floorboard. It was in perfect condition. It was his first amp too. wink.gif Anyway it sounds really good and you can even crank that thing up to 3 without getting blown back.
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

#28 cranial

cranial
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • Original Name: cranial

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:37 PM

Well, I can't be bothered to read all the past posts on this but here's my tuppence.

I've just recently bought a Line 6 Spider II head and cab. At the first practice session the bloody thing blew up, but I have a replacement. I actually really like the amp, it has a pretty decent tone for a digital non-valve amp, and as far as amp modelling goes, Line 6 are pretty much at the top. I think its a cracking amp for the money.

Only bastard thing is that now Crate are considering sponsoring me. What timing.
"The official GTU agony uncle." - Badasstommyboy

"Now lie still. If it hurts, you'll be the first to know." - Hawkeye.

user posted image

#29 geetard

geetard
  • 4 posts
  • Original Name: dodgebizkit

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:04 AM

Well, basically, the Line 6 Spiders and other decent solid state amps are the equivalent of the run-of-the-mill cars you see every day on the road. The Volkswagons, Fords, Volvos, Toyotas, Dodges, etc you see, some better, some worse than others, some more expensive, some cheaper, but most are more than good enough to do the job of getting from A to B, the owners are proud of them, they're comfortable, etc...

Then you have your petrol heads with millionaire mommy and daddy, who can fill their garages with cars too good to even be seen on Top Gear, the top end Porshe, Crysler, Mercedes, Audis etc that cost ten times the average middle class household's total yearly income, and these people who think their farts smell like cake freshly baked on the moon with fairy dust will tell you how much your new BMW, the top end of your "every day man's car range" sucks, and would rather die than be seen dead getting into your Renault Clio.

These Solid State amp hating Marshall-stack-humping Orange amp licking A-holes are the amp equivalent of the fart-smelling car people. They're arseholes whose opinion may be valuable if you're in the market for the products that they don't consider tramp bedding, but for anything else, they should just be ignored. 

When you get your Line 6 Spider or your Marshall MG series amp and your friends who have been playing their beginner amps are like WOW, and your crowds are like "killer tone dude!" you know you have a nice amp, and if you play through it and the sound parts your hair, feel good about it. 

For my tastes, a clean channel on an SS amp with a decent selection of pedals plugged into it (even if they're budget ones, most are good these days TBH) beats a cranked sagging valve amp in most cases (though I must say that there is a Mesa Boogie $3000 amp that I LOOOOVE the sound of but it's not $2600 better than a clean SS amp and an amp modeller! So unless I win a million I'm not planning to buy one!), and if you have a sound gate before any particularly loud high gain distortion pedal, you have no or almost no hum, while most tube amps generate a disgusting amount of unwanted noise (that fart-smellers claim to "like") , and IMO many of these high end amp distortions just sound nasty, take Orange for example, I get a better sound running my cheapest guitar through a cheap bass overdrive (actually, experimenting with such combos is fun and yields interesting tones).

Look at the people who claim that your nice little android or windows phone sucks because it wasn't made by Apple, or that your iPhone sucks bawlz because you can't hack it, you get fart-smellers everywhere, regarding all products, but at the end of the day, their opinions don't count UNLESS you're in the market for the things they like, in which case they can be a vault of useful knowledge (when you can filter the opinionated rants from the informative details).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...