Hobs911's Content

There have been 31 items by Hobs911 (Search limited from 07-January 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#3001762 Boston - Rock & Roll Band

Posted by Hobs911 on 02 May 2008 - 08:24 AM in Guitar Q & A

Father and son band I feel you. The "mammas and the papas" forget that "the father and the son" a tribute to boston.

#3001759 Robert Johnson

Posted by Hobs911 on 02 May 2008 - 08:19 AM in Guitar Q & A

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 30 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (HeteroBoy @ Apr 30 2008, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ride85 @ Apr 29 2008, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
clapton hasn't really evolved at all in 20 years.

I've noticed, sadly, that I haven't seen much from... well I can't think of really anyone.

I, as well as many people here it seems, can't imagine not continuing this ever going process of creating music and being a better guitarist. To me, a huge part of that is 'evolving'. That is, 'mastering' style to style to style.

Not to say these guitarists aren't still learning and becoming better, but I want to see Jimmy put out a Flamenco album, or Clapton to release an Eastern influenced album.
Or even Steve Beck to release a classical ablum! laugh.gif

Personally, I can't imagine just being just a 'blues guitarist'.

Ride: why do you think that Clapton has not evolved over the last 20 years. I think you are wrong. Clapton has evolved measureably over the last 20 years, and if you listen to his music over the years you will find that he has got better at what he does, and developed his style of playing to become one of the best at what he does.

HeteroBoy: What is wrong with being "just a blues guitarist" I can`t think of a better genre to be "just" at.

Amen brother.

QUOTE (ninjato @ May 2 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ May 1 2008, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm one of the few people who never saw what was the big deal with Clapton.

I'm quite sure he doesn't see any big deal w/ you either LOL

Burn.

#3000067 Harmony Steel Reinforced neck

Posted by Hobs911 on 29 April 2008 - 07:37 AM in Guitar Q & A

I knew DADFAD was bout to bust in a say whats really up.

#3000060 Harmony Steel Reinforced neck

Posted by Hobs911 on 29 April 2008 - 07:07 AM in Guitar Q & A

That may be a diffrent brand, but one brand named Harmony are sold at JcPenny. I may be wrong or you may have yourself a bluelight special

It does say made in USA and thats usually a plus

#3000059 I just got tickets

Posted by Hobs911 on 29 April 2008 - 07:03 AM in Discussion

I would rather be kicked in the nuts repatedly by a swedish body builder and then injected with HIV than to sit through thirty minutes of that concert.

#3000056 The Beatles

Posted by Hobs911 on 29 April 2008 - 07:01 AM in Discussion

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 27 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (el_burton @ Apr 26 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Apr 26 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was just the bass player and a vocalist, George and John did the core songwriting for the band as far as I know and it really shows.

I don't know where to begin with that statement. I think I'll start with howling laughter.

Right, now I've done that, here's a list of just some of the legendary Beatles songs Paul wrote:

Eleanor Rigby
Yellow Submarine
Let It Be
Get Back
Hey Jude
All My Loving
And I Love Her
The Long And Winding Road
Back In The USSR
Blackbird
Yesterday
Mother Nature's Son
Penny Lane
Hello Goodbye
Lady Madonna
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Lovely Rita
Can't Buy Me Love
We Can Work It Out
Drive My Car
The Fool On The Hill
For No One
Good Day Sunshine
Got To Get You Into My Life
Helter Skelter
Here, There And Everywhere
I'm Down
I Saw Her Standing There
Magical Mystery Tour
Michelle
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Paperback Writer
She's Leaving Home
When I'm Sixty-Four

I'd say that's a pretty f*cking good contribution for starters. And if anyone was driving their musical direction more than the others, it was Paul. If it weren't for him, the last two albums wouldn't have been done at all.

My thoughts, and yes i sort of grimaced and laughed at the same time when i read that.

Lets face it AS, your information is a little off, perhaps you should do some reading. But there again, when hasn`t your information been a little off.

Lennon Co-Wrote many of those songs. Every song the BEatles wrote was truly a team effort.

#3000052 Robert Johnson

Posted by Hobs911 on 29 April 2008 - 06:55 AM in Guitar Q & A

Eric Clapton ,in my opinion, has improved greatly since his days in Cream and with John Mayall. He is a blues player and just Like SRV,Gary Moore,Warren Haynes,Derek Trucks,Santana,etc. It's the feeling they put it into their music not the diversity of their licks and phrases,although all of them are very diverse. SRV once said"When I follow my heart and let it flow out I always play better. Its when I start thinking about where I am on the fretboard and what phrases im playing thats when I start to mess up." I believe most of all great guitarist play like this weather they know it or not. Notice the "LOST" face on many of the blues greats-Clapton,SRV,Hendrix,Warren Hayens, they almost always seem to be "lost" in their music and its just pouring out of them. The years of excessive drug use (dont think Warren did this)may give them this lost look, but I belive its them playing from their heart not their hands.

As for Robert Johnson he is a true inspiration. I just hate his ability to play so well at such a young age is covered up by myth and folklore.

#2998091 If Theres No More Internet?

Posted by Hobs911 on 24 April 2008 - 07:18 AM in Discussion

What about the stock market and Buisnesses and television and radio. These all rely on the internet. What about credit and debit cards they are processed through the internet. Banks,gas stations,restraunts, they all rely.

#2998078 The Beatles

Posted by Hobs911 on 24 April 2008 - 06:45 AM in Discussion

QUOTE (okiejohn @ Apr 24 2008, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in school when the Beatles music hit the US. I remember discussions in the locker room while getting ready for basketball practice about them. We were uncertain about them, I didn't care much for the early songs that were being played on radio, but thought they were cool as individuals, and some of us soon had the hair and were pressured by the administration to get it cut. A group of us had this deal going that the first of us to get a haircut had to buy dinner for the rest of the group. We were some shaggy Okies in the mid 60's.

We could get the signal from the WLS station in Chicago late at night, and they would play the three top most requested songs in the Chicago land area, at ten....usually it would be three Beatles tunes. I would listen to that, and got to where I began to think their music was indeed pretty good. I eventually got to be a fan of their music.

Recently I watched that video Across the Universe, and was reminded how good their stuff actually was.

I've never watched it I am afraid I won't like it. If the 2008 generation of teens like this movie I dont think I would.

#2998076 If Theres No More Internet?

Posted by Hobs911 on 24 April 2008 - 06:42 AM in Discussion

South Park brought up a good point. What if for some reason all the internet in the world was gone. The world would be in complete chaos. I wonder if it is posssible for someone to "turn off" the Internet?

#2998073 A beautiful instrument

Posted by Hobs911 on 24 April 2008 - 06:31 AM in Guitar Q & A

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 23 2008, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Like with cars, homes, clothing, shoes, furniture and women. wink.gif )

Better with age. That's how I like my women, but I would never pay 10,000 for a woman from the 50's.

#2997811 The Beatles

Posted by Hobs911 on 23 April 2008 - 04:25 PM in Discussion

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 22 2008, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like a few of the older members on this forum, i grew up listening to the Beatles. They are part of my life. I have always enjoyed their music, and i guess i always will, their songs never become old, infact quite the opposite, i am constantly rediscovering their music, as i learn to play their songs. biggrin.gif

Being from Alabama where The Beatles were looked down upon in their early days I know no real older beatles fans. I am only 30 minutes away from Birmingham,Alabama ,where in the late 60's, a bunch of morons who had their southern Baptist religious beliefs all backwards while KKK and other town members decided to hold a rally and get everyone to come to town and burn their Beatles records. Fortanly my parents and grandparents were
too far in the country to even know who the Beatles were haha (moonshine and bluegrass were more there bag)so they never herd Lennon SAY WHAT ALABAMIANS INTERPRET as "BEATLES ARE BIGGER THAN JESUS". I guess they were too busy planning lynchings and performing hate crimes(note: none of my family that I have ever know were involved in these, well my grandfather was a Moonishiner and Preacher haha needless to say everyone came to church) anyways moral of story not many old Bealtes fans round here.

#2997101 The Beatles

Posted by Hobs911 on 22 April 2008 - 06:39 AM in Discussion

I am a Beatles fan and have been for a few years. I love the way they, like the Grateful Dead , make up characters or settings and describe them. Dr. RObert, Mr. Kite, Polythene Pam, Penny Lane(setting), Mr. Mustard, etc.. It seems for most people if you like one Beatles song you will like most other Beatles songs. The White Album and Revolver seem to me to be some of there best work. I guess i just want someone to talk Beatles with so enlighten me.

#2997095 What's your top three favorite bands?

Posted by Hobs911 on 22 April 2008 - 06:19 AM in Discussion

Rollin' In The Hay
Gov't Mule
Yonder Mountain String Band

#2993604 For Guys Into or Who Want To Get Into Pre-War Blues

Posted by Hobs911 on 15 April 2008 - 06:13 AM in Guitar Q & A

Thanks man this will make my work day go by much faster.

#2993603 The Doors - DVD & Top 3

Posted by Hobs911 on 15 April 2008 - 06:10 AM in Guitar Q & A

I caught the last thirty minutes of last night on Vh1 Classic. It good I love the Classic album series check out the ones on "The Band" and "The Grateful Dead" very inspiring.

Top list

L.A. Woman
Alabama Song
Peace Frog
Hello, I Love You

#2993600 This guy is a real inspiration

Posted by Hobs911 on 15 April 2008 - 06:01 AM in Guitar Q & A

Wow

#2988990 Blues

Posted by Hobs911 on 03 April 2008 - 07:38 AM in Guitar Q & A

Stormy Monday- Allman Brothers Band

Gov't Mule- Look over Yonder Wall, 32/20 Blues

Eric Clapton from "Me and MR. Johnson" album- "Come on in My Kitchen, 32/20 Blues)

Stevie ray Vaughan-Look at little sister

I know it can be hard to understand all this when you start out but blues is very simple. To start just play an "E A E B7 A E" chord progression and practice soloing in you E key in frets 12 and 14. That will get you able to improvise over a progression in no time youll be soloing over any key.

#2984694 Favortie Dead SHow

Posted by Hobs911 on 25 March 2008 - 07:42 AM in Discussion

my bad I forgot discussion never does anything productive except for spamming disreguard this topic

QUOTE (Captain_Trips @ Mar 25 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (igorski @ Mar 25 2008, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif Who knew Jerry Garcia painted ?

It is actually widely known that Garcia painted.

Its hard to have a favorite, they are all so different, but I always rely on this one

http://www.archive.o...6085.sbeok.shnf

the archive is another cool place to listen to streams and download tons of jam bands.

yeah i checked it out

#2984682 Favortie Dead SHow

Posted by Hobs911 on 25 March 2008 - 07:16 AM in Discussion

I forgot you have to click "free stash" in the top right corner of the page

#2984677 Favortie Dead SHow

Posted by Hobs911 on 25 March 2008 - 07:02 AM in Discussion

06/07/70 Fillmore West. You can hear this nugs.net This is my favorite show and Ive noticed some other deadheads around here. On this site you can stream music from any jam band.
Check it out

#2984672 The Weight

Posted by Hobs911 on 25 March 2008 - 06:15 AM in Guitar Q & A

QUOTE (gravitas)
I liked what you were doing though. You could have gone a little longer... Don't let your bud get lead vocalist's syndrome, eh? haha

Haha naw it isnt like that we only had around seven minutes left on the DVD and there are alot of verses in the song.

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Mar 24 2008, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason i was expecting a dog to join in when you all did the harmonization of the vocals, infact i think a dog should join in. laugh.gif I enjoyed that, and yes the tone on the strat did sound tinny.

Yeah were all a little to southern. The drummer can sing better than me but I couldnt carry a tune in a briefcase.

#2984128 The Weight

Posted by Hobs911 on 24 March 2008 - 02:09 PM in Guitar Q & A

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ Mar 24 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it just me or does the strat sound more like the tele and the tele sound more like the strat?

Actually yeah he's a country style player. He was also playing through a Boss acoustic simulator pedal. I was playing through a Hot Rod deluxe that gave me the strat sound.

We dont have anyone but family and friends to give us feedback and you can never trust that haha all critisizm is welcome.

#2983905 The Weight

Posted by Hobs911 on 24 March 2008 - 10:48 AM in Guitar Q & A

My buddies and i were drinking saturday jamming having a good time and broke out the camera. Don't get me wrong were not really a band we just sit around and jam and drink. The drummer just had surgery on his sholder from a bad dirtbike wreck that why hes only using one arm haha. I just wanted to know what yall thought were no "The Band" but we try. It totaly improvisied im the one on the stool.

#2971132 Fernandez Guitar?

Posted by Hobs911 on 26 February 2008 - 07:40 AM in Guitar Q & A

I bought the same guitar a few years back. It has a built in sustainer and the floyd rose were realy the only perks of it. Im not sure of the model it was eventually droped and quit working. How much did you pay i pay about $200.00

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...