dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,084 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

I don't know exactly what you mean by the term. Do you mean like prettier chord-forms like maybe suspended-chords or major-7th, etc?

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#3 grzegorz_panek

grzegorz_panek
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • Original Name: grzegorz_panek

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Aug 4 2004, 10:10 PM)
I don't know exactly what you mean by the term. Do you mean like prettier chord-forms like maybe suspended-chords or major-7th, etc?

John, you should be glad you don't know. laugh.gif

One of my friends has an uber expensive tube amplified stereo. But to check it out he played Coldplay... sad.gif

I know, I know, I'm drunk today.

Seriously, those guys don't know much about theory. They experiment and add different things to triads. Very often it's chromatic and strongly dissonant.
"Grzeg (...) spending years in the Vistula River Delta picking Miss Takamine with a bottle-neck on his finger!)" - Dadfad
IPB Image
New track - Mister Sandman

#4 mrbreeze

mrbreeze
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts
  • Original Name: mrbreeze

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Aug 4 2004, 06:10 PM)

Dadfad,

Emo is the new "it" genre...it's all about guys singing/screaming their undying love or hate for the one they love(d). Most of the time the lyrics are rather distubingly suicidal.
IPB Image

#5 station

station
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Original Name: station

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:25 PM

hahah I love all the anti-emo sentiment, mainly cuz I share it.

Umm as far as the chords, just use e minor. And then move the two fingers up the fretboard. Then try doing some other extremely atonal things, and there you have it.

#6 AxSlinger

AxSlinger

to be honest.....

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts
  • Original Name: AxSlinger

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

emo is not in the guitar but in the lyrics. It is a little in the music, but emo, pop-punk, some rock, indie, etc all use the same chords. It's just silly to say the Em chord is emo. rolleyes.gif

#7 dcemochick89

dcemochick89
  • 44 posts
  • Original Name: dcemochick89

Posted 04 August 2004 - 04:26 PM

to set it straight: emo is a sub-genre of punk, because thats where it came from. and its not even a real genre, because its tricky to lable, its like punk theirs too much range in how it sounds. And it definately doesnt have a common thread of music, like most genres do. It ranges from hard-core, To soft and mellow, and everything between. But its also not just about the lyrics, cus then pretty much everything would fall into emo. Its basically emotionally driven "punk rock" that still makes it difficult to label cus punk doesnt have a specific sound either. hell.. i wouldnt consider either of the two REAL musical genres. cus it more about the whole package, rather than just the music. kinda like how you cant be in a punk band and actually get called a "punk band" unless you are punk, and you live your life that way. but anyway, i think its all pretty dumb...enough with all that crap, most emo music isnt acoustic, but if your lookin for nice mellow acoustic chords for your emo experiment, you actually can just use any old, punk rock chords u already know, maybe make them open, and play them. it doesnt really matter much really, once you play anything acoustic itll sound pretty mellow. you should really just go thru ur fav songs and see what kinda chords they use, and just pull out some variations of them. i could give you millions, but its ur song, its gotta be stuff you like. and maybe you could put some picking in it? hell, you could pick the whole song and it would still be great. oh and personally, i think playing half a step down always makes it a lil better. smile.gif smile.gif much luv. and good luck.

#8 mad_cow711

mad_cow711
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Original Name: mad_cow711

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:35 PM

just put a few power chords together in a progression and call it a song.

#9 station

station
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Original Name: station

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (AxSlinger @ Aug 4 2004, 11:43 PM)
emo is not in the guitar but in the lyrics.  It is a little in the music, but emo, pop-punk, some rock, indie, etc all use the same chords.  It's just silly to say the Em chord is emo.  rolleyes.gif

hahaha no way, Em chord is totally emo. And I will stand by that to the end. biggrin.gif

#10 goldrush

goldrush
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Original Name: goldrush

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (grzegorz_panek @ Aug 4 2004, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (dadfad @ Aug 4 2004, 10:10 PM)

John, you should be glad you don't know. laugh.gif

One of my friends has an uber expensive tube amplified stereo. But to check it out he played Coldplay... sad.gif

I know, I know, I'm drunk today.

Seriously, those guys don't know much about theory. They experiment and add different things to triads. Very often it's chromatic and strongly dissonant.

I guess I'm glad I don't know what Emo is either. I figured it was this week's "flavor of the month". Just another label record companies can put on the same ol' music in order to sell more CD's. It's all been done before...

#11 airdog4125

airdog4125
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • Original Name: airdog4125

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:01 PM

Sort of an indie punk rock. I don't understand how a whole genre can be crap. It's stupid to pigen-hole alot of good bands because of Thursday or some other atonal, amelodic, tone-deaf band HAPPENS to be labeled emo. There's always good and bad no matter what the label says. As far as emo chords, I'd say there's no such thing.

#12 the green man

the green man
  • 44 posts
  • Original Name: the green man

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (airdog4125 @ Aug 5 2004, 01:01 AM)
Sort of an indie punk rock.  I don't understand how a whole genre can be crap.  It's stupid to pigen-hole alot of good bands because of Thursday or some other atonal, amelodic, tone-deaf band HAPPENS to be labeled emo.  There's always good and bad no matter what the label says.  As far as emo chords, I'd say there's no such thing.

THURSDAY is a friggen awesome band. Tom keely and steve padulla are one of the best guitar duo's out there right now, and as far as geoff rickley's lyrics, great stuff, he writes with emotion but not about stuff you normally hear about

#13 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,084 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:27 AM

Okay, I get it (sort of) (maybe...). "Emo" means "emotional" I guess.

(Or is it for E-minor?) (like as if maybe some guy who'd just huffed a couple of tubes to escape the harsh cruelties and soul-wrenching pain of living in our world was trying to say what key it was in...."Iz innn E-moooooh....")

(or both maybe....)

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#14 tapelator

tapelator

Dokdo Freedom

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Original Name: tapelator

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:08 AM

yeah it comes from emotional..

but, where i come from, the word means "maternal aunt"

Rites of Spring/Fugazi/Refused/Alexisonfire/ is emo, i don;t know where emo came from or where it originated, but i am willing to learn and explor into that genre of music.

emo music has a maybe two major differenence between metal and punk (the vocal screams with no melody, just monotone manic scream, and the songs are very "it's genre" like, can't really explain but you will figure out if it's emo or not.. imo emo is mixture between metal and punk...but..

way more complicated than your average punk but more experimental and heartful than metal.
user posted image
it's not that i don't care, but some things will never change.

#15 grzegorz_panek

grzegorz_panek
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • Original Name: grzegorz_panek

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:38 AM

If emo stands for emotion... were Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky emo musicians? laugh.gif

Sorry, I'm bitchin'. Sorry for harsh words about the genre. I have nothing personal with these bands after all. biggrin.gif
"Grzeg (...) spending years in the Vistula River Delta picking Miss Takamine with a bottle-neck on his finger!)" - Dadfad
IPB Image
New track - Mister Sandman

#16 HurleySurf

HurleySurf
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Original Name: HurleySurf

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:30 AM

Some common emo-type chords I see used are harmony sort of chords that can be played over standard chords such as...

A (577600)
Bsus4 (X24400) OR (799800)
C# (X46650) OR (9X9900)
E (079900) OR (12 14 14 13 0 0)

Also, inverted type power chords like (057000) and (054000).

Good luck with the song. ~N8
user posted image

#17 francv

francv
  • 23 posts
  • Original Name: francv

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:19 AM

Do you want to be cool?

How to dress emo

#18 tapelator

tapelator

Dokdo Freedom

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Original Name: tapelator

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:26 AM

ha ha

EDIT: i have several gap jeans, and natural black hair..

Edited by tapelator, 05 August 2004 - 10:26 AM.

user posted image
it's not that i don't care, but some things will never change.

#19 goldrush

goldrush
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Original Name: goldrush

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:40 PM

I don't like the over-categorization of music. The Beatles and the Stones (for two examples) recorded a wide variety of musical styles (rock 'n roll, folk, orchestrated, jazz-tinged, blues, R&B, etc, etc.). Nothing good can come from putting labels on bands--it's not good for them or for listeners. It only benefits record companies because they can repackage what's already been done and call it something else. Music is music and it's a shame if an artist would feel limited in creativity because someone else is saying, "Oh you can't do that, your music is categorized as _________."

Look at the 1960's and the variety of styles performed by the bands. White, black, it didn't matter. I guess today Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding would have to be Rap or Hip-hop because that's what people would expect. Or maybe we could invent a new category for them: Jimi could be "Black Urban Electric Guitar".

The division of music into narrower and narrower compartments does the artists and fans no good whatsoever. It only puts limits on something that should have absolutely no limits: music.

Sorry for the tirade, but this subject makes my hackles rise!

Signed, The "White Semi-Urban Fingerstyle Acoustic Traditional Celtic Blues Classical Mid-30's Guitar" guy.

Edited by goldrush, 05 August 2004 - 03:23 PM.

#20 AxSlinger

AxSlinger

to be honest.....

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts
  • Original Name: AxSlinger

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:35 PM

I bet emo kids would like to believe that Em is an emo chord, but only they believe that. smile.gif

However, I do see Em in almost every single emo song I hear.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...