40 replies to this topic

#21 epearson

epearson
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Original Name: epearson

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:15 PM

Here is how to play punk rock or Emo,

Take an A major bar chord at the fifth fret on the six string, the stop barring and allow the second and first string to ring, now you have Asus2! Most punkers don't know that though...

Asus2 (577600) then follow up with,

G6 (355000) then

Cmaj7 (x35500)

D9 (x57700)

and the finish it off with a big fat Em! Be sure to strum really vigorously and sing with a fake English accent.

Edit: This is also how you play Good Charlotte and Avril Lavigne!

Edited by epearson, 05 August 2004 - 07:50 PM.

#22 dcemochick89

dcemochick89
  • 44 posts
  • Original Name: dcemochick89

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (tapelator @ Aug 5 2004, 08:08 AM)
yeah it comes from emotional..

but, where i come from, the word means "maternal aunt"

Rites of Spring/Fugazi/Refused/Alexisonfire/ is emo, i don;t know where emo came from or where it originated, but i am willing to learn and explor into that genre of music.

emo music has a maybe two major differenence between metal and punk (the vocal screams with no melody, just monotone manic scream, and the songs are very "it's genre" like, can't really explain but you will figure out if it's emo or not.. imo emo is mixture between metal and punk...but..

way more complicated than your average punk but more experimental and heartful than metal.

emo doesnt always sound the same, thats why its hard to classify. and it started from the "post hardcorepunk" dc scene becaus the bands played a more raucous and emotional form of punk than the other punk bands. Emo was generally emotional hardcore punk music then, but then it started to tone down in the 90's. as a result of that, today emo comes in many different tones of music. for example.. recent emo bands: from autumn to ashes (hardcore sounding), the starting line (pop-punk sounding with lots of melodic voicing). thats just two examples, but it in a way just shows that theirs is a large range in what they sound like. oh, and the manic screaming isnt necessary for bein an emo band, it just normally is their because what better way to show ur emotion?(besides crying) smile.gif

#23 wannalearn01

wannalearn01
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Original Name: wannalearn01

Posted 06 August 2004 - 05:54 AM

Look up some Dashboard Confessional songs...they are emo.

Songs about emotion...I think punk is running out of topics.

"I am so sad, I could end my life"
"I am so mad,you are not my wife"
"Will not you please forgive my actions"
"Me screaming about your reactions"
"This is my genre: Emo world-wide"

How you likey the emo style...bahaha...I completely made that up lol

T^roy
user posted image

Imagination is more powerful than any knowledge-Einstein

GTU Member of the week July 19, 2004, 875 posts

There is a fine line between insanity and genius and I think i crossed it...but what side I am on is still unclear.

#24 RyoKeen

RyoKeen
  • 13 posts
  • Original Name: RyoKeen

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:32 AM

Basicaaly there is not such thing as aucoustic music. Beside country, you dont be punk rock wiht an aucoustic, and electric sucks, I couldnt stand makign a cd with mor ethen 2 electric songs.

Bassically, I may just be making up my own genre.

I have no name for it yet but it's a mix of Indie,punk, emo (there is a difference not much), and contemporary. Lyrics are better then D/C and not a typical run fo the mill emo punk, scream horribly. I acctually sing... lol I dunno its more indie rock I guess ^^. But emo chords have a sound I like..

Erm, now how about some indie rock chords o.0 lol!

#25 RyoKeen

RyoKeen
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (dcemochick89 @ Aug 5 2004, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (tapelator @ Aug 5 2004, 08:08 AM)
yeah it comes from emotional..

but, where i come from, the word means "maternal aunt"

Rites of Spring/Fugazi/Refused/Alexisonfire/ is emo, i don;t know where emo came from or where it originated, but i am willing to learn and explor into that genre of music.

emo music has a maybe two major differenence between metal and punk (the vocal screams with no melody, just monotone manic scream, and the songs are very "it's genre" like, can't really explain but you will figure out if it's emo or not.. imo emo is mixture between metal and punk...but..

way more complicated than your average punk but more experimental and heartful than metal.

emo doesnt always sound the same, thats why its hard to classify. and it started from the "post hardcorepunk" dc scene becaus the bands played a more raucous and emotional form of punk than the other punk bands. Emo was generally emotional hardcore punk music then, but then it started to tone down in the 90's. as a result of that, today emo comes in many different tones of music. for example.. recent emo bands: from autumn to ashes (hardcore sounding), the starting line (pop-punk sounding with lots of melodic voicing). thats just two examples, but it in a way just shows that theirs is a large range in what they sound like. oh, and the manic screaming isnt necessary for bein an emo band, it just normally is their because what better way to show ur emotion?(besides crying) smile.gif

Exactly.
I am emo indie mix, well the band is. We don't scream because well its stupid. None of our songs are about being mad, or hate full or sad. We're all about touching people and making them feel better but still that emo/indie touch to it^^.

I guess I should Post one of our lyrics. So you understand I am nto all about screaming cuzz with these lyrics you can't o.0.

Aaron
Accidental Purpose
Lead singer (not screamer),Guitarist, and Lyric writer.

#26 mrbreeze

mrbreeze
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts
  • Original Name: mrbreeze

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (RyoKeen @ Aug 7 2004, 11:32 AM)
Basicaaly there is not such thing as aucoustic music. Beside country, you dont be punk rock wiht an aucoustic, and electric sucks, I couldnt stand makign a cd with mor ethen 2 electric songs.

I have no name for it yet but it's a mix of Indie,punk, emo (there is a difference not much), and contemporary. Lyrics are better then D/C and not a typical run fo the mill emo punk, scream horribly. I acctually sing... lol I dunno its more indie rock I guess ^^. But emo chords have a sound I like..

tell that to all the bluesmen, folk guitarists, classical guitarist, etc. wink.gif
IPB Image

#27 RyoKeen

RyoKeen
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (mrbreeze @ Aug 7 2004, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (RyoKeen @ Aug 7 2004, 11:32 AM)

tell that to all the bluesmen, folk guitarists, classical guitarist, etc. wink.gif

Haha,
Yah, but I don't have much of a voice for that stuff. Gotta gow ith what you can. Its soft emo, indie bassically. It's positive, and soft sounding yet still indie/soft emo. That why we will be better, or are better then D/C. He has some good aucoustic parts, but some of his stuff is eh... dry.gif

#28 RyoKeen

RyoKeen
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:45 AM

wow we are no longer emo. I hat all those bands, well not hate but to much electric for anyones good and screaming is bad for ur... health.. I made that up but I mean you'll go deff screaming or listening to it.

Were Alternative>Indie. D/C is fine, I like them. Because he doesn't scream much at all. Only on vindicated which is not the best song... by far.

Aaron
Accidental Purpose
Lead singer,Guitarist, Lyyric Writer

#29 jshrel24

jshrel24
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Original Name: jshrel24

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (RyoKeen @ Aug 7 2004, 10:32 AM)
Basicaaly there is not such thing as aucoustic music. Beside country

Wow that was stupid.

#30 ee40oztofreedom

ee40oztofreedom
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Original Name: ee40oztofreedom

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:40 PM

i listened to some emo stuff my friends listen to and to add about the music, its kind of rare to find an "awsome guitar solo" in the songs.

I watched fuse some days ago and they had the darknesses come on. One of the things the host said made me laugh. something like," So you guys have these things in ur songs called guitar solos.... tell me about those." thats news to me, sounds like the darkness invented guitar solos.

#31 RellDaSlasher

RellDaSlasher

the traffic lights turn blue tomorrow

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Original Name: RellDaSlasher

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:06 PM

I thought Emo used a lot of minor chords and mucky distortion (not the cool type of mucky like Black Sabbath, but the icky type of mucky, like Staind)...

#32 epearson

epearson
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (RellDaSlasher @ Aug 8 2004, 12:06 AM)
I thought Emo used a lot of minor chords and mucky distortion (not the cool type of mucky like Black Sabbath, but the icky type of mucky, like Staind)...

Actually most emo bands use a lot of suck in their chords and their tone, if you were wondering, lol just joking.

#33 Jon_Mac

Jon_Mac
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Original Name: Jon_Mac

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

Try using different tunings Eg. Dashboard Confessional they use some cool mellow tunings

#34 6strings5fingers

6strings5fingers
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Original Name: 6strings5fingers

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:47 PM

heres some tips:

slightly detune your guitar, play dissonant chords that you are clueless as to what they are and make sure your chord progressions make no sense musically, write some cheesy, generic, naive lyrics about why everything is bad and why you need to complain, get a terribly lame backing band, sing annoyingly and in a nasal tone with occasional screaming, make sure everything is LOUD AS HELL, and be sure that you spend at LEAST as much time focusing on your image if not more than with your music. Be sure to come off as sensitive and artistic to the point that it's overtly feminine, dye your hair jet black and wear eyeliner, and yes, fake a British accent haha. peace ~

#35 epearson

epearson
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (6strings5fingers @ Aug 8 2004, 10:47 PM)
heres some tips:

slightly detune your guitar, play dissonant chords that you are clueless as to what they are and make sure your chord progressions make no sense musically, write some cheesy, generic, naive lyrics about why everything is bad and why you need to complain, get a terribly lame backing band, sing annoyingly and in a nasal tone with occasional screaming, make sure everything is LOUD AS HELL, and be sure that you spend at LEAST as much time focusing on your image if not more than with your music. Be sure to come off as sensitive and artistic to the point that it's overtly feminine, dye your hair jet black and wear eyeliner, and yes, fake a British accent haha. peace ~

LOL!
That's what I've been saying about punk and emo for years! I couldn't have said it better, congratulations, you're cool!

#36 wannalearn01

wannalearn01
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Original Name: wannalearn01

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (RyoKeen @ Aug 7 2004, 10:32 AM)

Basically anyone who read that is dumber NOW than before. laugh.gif

...you dont be punk rock wiht an aucoustic, and electric sucks, I couldnt stand makign a cd with mor ethen 2 electric songs.
Well if electric sucks and acoustic is for country...what do you play? Do you suck or are you country...lol

T^roy

Funniest thing I have read today:

user posted image

Imagination is more powerful than any knowledge-Einstein

GTU Member of the week July 19, 2004, 875 posts

There is a fine line between insanity and genius and I think i crossed it...but what side I am on is still unclear.

#37 andy_87us

andy_87us
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Original Name: andy_87us

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:49 AM

I'm not a big fan of emo or punk or pop-punk or any of the new stuff........I just like that good ol' rock n' roll!

but sorry i can't help ya
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted image

#38 derekbournon

derekbournon
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: derekbournon

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

C#sus2
C# 6th Suspended 2nd
C# Minor 9th
C# Minor 7th
C 5th Add Sharp 5th Add Sharp 9th
E 5th Add Flat 9th Add Flat 13th
E Suspended 4th Add Flat 13th Add 12th

these are some of my favorite "emo" chords. but really, you just make them up as you go. i used a chord identifier to tell me what they are called for you.  beware: lots of stretching and cramping will occur if your not used to doing them :P have fun with it.

#39 lowden

lowden
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Original Name: lowden

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Emo kids should express their angst through difficult voicings,  Em is too simple, a real emo would play E flat minor, without tuning down the half step, cos of the pain of having to do it, and no one understands me. Anyway try,   C major, G#major, F, A, C#minor, B flat.  Now all you have to do is whinge and whine over that. :-)  Seriously though, try find chords way outside the 3 chord trick and write an emotional melody around that.  Strangely music has become very flat, 4/4 timing, 3 chords and the truth etc,  Go back to some of the melodies of the 20's and 30's with complicated chord arrangement built around melodies with feeling, to get a little influence. Also try different timing patterns like 5/4, 5 beats every bar, it'll f**k up most punters. Then mess up that clean sound with some nasty cheap crunch and your half way there, also a real earpiercing clean sound guitar, with flange and chorus, can have great effect with some solid drum and bass behind and a nasty crunch rhythm . Don't be scared of shitty keyboard sounds either. Mainly you're looking to express pain, so it should sound painful and emotional in equal measure. That can also be expressed in quiet desperation, with single clean guitar and vocal.

Edited by lowden, 25 October 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#40 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,084 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

Good post, Lowden. Very informative and... ummm... emotional. :sadbuttrue:

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...