• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sector9

Sector9
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Original Name: Sector9

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:27 AM

Hey all, just a quick note to brag a little, and to ask a few questions!
Yesterday I bought a Yamaha S-50A classical guitar. The japanese Nippon Gakki model. Here's where the braggin comes in: I bought it at an old surplus store for 60$ canadian (maybe 40-45 U.S) Its in great shape. I called a vintage guitar store, and the guy said without looking at it...he'd give me $400-600 Cdn.
400-500 U.S)
Obviously im keeping it! I put new strings on and cleaned it up and it plays incredible. Now here's where the questions come in. The guy told me that those particular guitars were not made after late 70's or very early 80's. My question is, can anyone tell me any distinct features on my particular model that might help me to determine the exact year it was made???? or what the production run for this model was 40's though 80's??

When all is said and done this is my 3rd guitar, and the second that ive just stumbled upon! One i bought to learn on, one i found in a thrift store (handmade)
and this one. now i have 3 on my wall and my g/f is started to give me the crooked eye about having too many....

If anyone had any deals like this...and im sure im not alone....lets hear'em smile.gif

#2 randomorwhat

randomorwhat

"Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae"

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,964 posts
  • Location:The deep dark depths of pretention and bad grammar...apparently
  • Original Name: randomorwhat

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:47 AM

Good deal man

I got a good deal on my Yamaha LL11E - 400 quid down from 700, which ain't so bad smile.gif
Look out on a Summer's day, with eyes that know the darkness in my soul...

#3 cichlid_dmb

cichlid_dmb

goodnight saigon

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Original Name: cichlid_dmb

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:10 PM

Tell your girlfriend to cut that crooked eye crap out and make you some pancakes.

Three is perfectly acceptable. Awesome find, too. Congratulations.

#4 apollocastonople

apollocastonople
  • 90 posts
  • Original Name: apollocastonople

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:25 PM

If its that old, hows the action? Is the fretboard warped? I mean a guitar that old....wouldnt it just naturally over time get into bad shape, or is there a way to keep it in good condition?

#5 jshrel24

jshrel24
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Original Name: jshrel24

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (apollocastonople @ Aug 26 2004, 08:25 PM)
If its that old, hows the action? Is the fretboard warped? I mean a guitar that old....wouldnt it just naturally over time get into bad shape, or is there a way to keep it in good condition?

We arnt talking like 400 years old here man, only a couple 10 years. If anything it would make it sound better.

#6 apollocastonople

apollocastonople
  • 90 posts
  • Original Name: apollocastonople

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (jshrel24 @ Aug 27 2004, 12:37 AM)

We arnt talking like 400 years old here man, only a couple 10 years. If anything it would make it sound better.

Ah i see

#7 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:49 AM

lucky bum. my yamaha classical is a pile of crap. it was my first guitar sadly enough. its a C-40 model and cost me 300 cdn with a 35 mm paded gig bag. maybe in several years it will be worth something. i doubt i will get more than 250 for it cause its used but in good condition. oh why cant i get a good deal on a great guitar. but you never know. i might even find one at my grandparents house when we clean out stuff for a yard sale. my Sigma acoustic is like 16 or 17 years old and has held up fine other than the nut needs replacing

#8 grzegorz_panek

grzegorz_panek
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • Original Name: grzegorz_panek

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (jshrel24 @ Aug 27 2004, 05:37 AM)

That's right. And even much cheaper classicals don't break so much over time. There is a reason why they don't have truss rods... they don't need them. String tension is not so strong here, and intonation set at the production line will last for long years.
"Grzeg (...) spending years in the Vistula River Delta picking Miss Takamine with a bottle-neck on his finger!)" - Dadfad
IPB Image
New track - Mister Sandman

#9 ctshaynes

ctshaynes
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Original Name: ctshaynes

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:11 PM

Post or PM me the serial number, and I'll try to find out for you. If you don't know where it is It may be located just inside the soundhole towards the neck, on the soundboard brace. I've also seen them on the neck blocks, but neither was a classical.

#10 Sector9

Sector9
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:47 PM

hey man... im not sure what your resources are...but if it gives me a sense of how old this is.... im super greatful. Ive been told these guitars' production run was halted in the early 80's.
the serial number is very faint but it reads "20712014"

Yamaha S-50 A (nippon Gakki)

thanks alot

#11 Sector9

Sector9
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

ok..... so i found it out myself.

my guitar is unit 014...and was made on july 12.... but here's the deal. They say the serial numbers repeat every 10 years. so my guitar was made in either 1962,1972,1982,

#12 goldrush

goldrush
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Original Name: goldrush

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Sector9 @ Aug 31 2004, 07:31 PM)
ok.....  so i found it out myself. 

my guitar is unit 014...and was made on july 12.... but here's the deal. They say the serial numbers repeat every 10 years.  so my guitar was made in either 1962,1972,1982,

Interesting.....you can find out the day it was made, but have to guess at the year. Oh, those crafty executives at Yamaha!

#13 ctshaynes

ctshaynes
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Original Name: ctshaynes

Posted 01 September 2004 - 11:41 AM

Yep I came up with the same info, I should have just looked up the link and given it to you to start with! biggrin.gif .
Now what you have to do are to look up pics of S-50 A's from '62 '72 and '82, and look for one that matches yours. Almost all guitars go through subtle cosmetic changes from year to year. My '71 fg300 has many differences from another one I saw in a music store recently.

#14 Sector9

Sector9
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:40 PM

oddly enough... my guitar seems exactly identical in every way to this on sale on ebay..... colour, wood grain patterns, everything. So im inclined to think it was a 72 model...which makes me super happy

A 32 year old guitar for the equivilant of 35 bucks american!

check out the link and dont be afraid of bidding on it..... i own it..play it and love it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...3744536530&rd=1

#15 Sector9

Sector9
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:44 PM

wait...hold the phone..... the only difference i see is that mine dosent have those knobs for a strap... Im strapless!
you think that makes it older or newer?

#16 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:23 AM

wait...hold the phone..... the only difference i see is that mine dosent have those knobs for a strap... Im strapless!
you think that makes it older or newer?

I would assume its newer but im not totally sure. mine is new and it has no straps on it but its a different model. or the seller had the strap installed which is hard to do.

#17 epearson

epearson
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Original Name: epearson

Posted 05 September 2004 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (jshrel24 @ Aug 27 2004, 12:37 AM)

Only if it's solid woods, which I kinda doubt as Yamaha makes fairly affordable beginner classicals but not affordable Solid Top classicals.

#18 Negsmeister

Negsmeister
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Negsmeister

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

I have one for sale in pretty decent shape. Some buckle rash on the back and a \couple of very minor dings but man, it rings like a bell. I'll take the best offer, buyer pays shipping

#19 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:22 AM

Seriously, you resurrected an 11 year old thread, with your first post just to advertise your guitar that's up for sale?

Thread locked. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...