- - - - -

im thinkin about...2x12maybe not too soo but..

7 replies to this topic

#1 kooldood1

kooldood1

the love is not enough

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts
  • Original Name: kooldood1

Posted 09 October 2004 - 06:55 PM

im think about getting a 2x12 extension cab, i have a 2x12 50 watt jcm 900 combo. i think the cab would give this more bass and i think if i saw a head i wanted or something id have something to play it through. what do you think?...i was lookin at avatar and they have a deal...a 2x12 with celestion vintage 30s for about 300$ us including shipping...anyone?

#2 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,143 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 09 October 2004 - 06:58 PM

play thru different speakers first before u make your decision, personally i love greenbacks and dislike vintage 30's but people have different opinions of both.

P.S. i edited some mistakes in ur post biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#3 kooldood1

kooldood1

the love is not enough

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts
  • Original Name: kooldood1

Posted 09 October 2004 - 07:02 PM

i was thinking about getting greenbacks for my 900 combo

#4 Bisonlespaul59

Bisonlespaul59
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Original Name: Bisonlespaul59

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (mistymountainhop @ Oct 9 2004, 09:58 PM)
play thru different speakers first before u make your decision, personally i love greenbacks and dislike vintage 30's but people have different opinions of both.

P.S. i edited some mistakes in ur post biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

i was thinking about getting greenbacks but then i was worried about my wattage,

a 212 rated for only 50 watts and a head the pushes out 50 watts that sounds like a 100 watts.

id be worried that the amp would mutilate the speakers.

I really dont want speakers that are super harsh sounding. I want speakers with a smooth response.

Anything like the greenbacks with are higher wattage rating?

#5 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,143 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:12 AM

i dunno... i wouldnt worry about it mutilating the speakers, they should be fine, it IS only 50 watts coming out of the head and the 25w is the lowest rating methinks it would probably have ome headway on the speakers.

#6 madaxeman

madaxeman
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts
  • Original Name: madaxeman

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:36 AM

I have the very cabinet you speak of the Avatar with vintage 30's. It sounds great as I've said before I swapped my Marshall 4x12 for it and I lost no bass response. It is well built and sounds great.

It suits me just fine. But as stated above check out all your options before you buy.
Posted Image

#7 metallica_fan_03

metallica_fan_03
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Original Name: metallica_fan_03

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

ashdown do a cheap open backed vintage 30 loaded cab- 2X12 config.

if you are looking for a greenback sound but don't want to risk blowing the speakers then get a 4 X12 cab- it'll be only a small bit bigger- probably the same width and depth but taller only by a few inches. it'll be alot heavier though.

also i read on plexi palace that several of the older marshalls push out more wattage when running full tilt than rated- 50 watt heads sometime could push out 60-65 watts but as already said it's likely the greenbacks will also be rated lower than it is too.

#8 fuego_delrio

fuego_delrio
  • 15 posts
  • Original Name: fuego_delrio

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

I took what I could get, which by fortunes own hand, happens to be a Crate GX 130C (Sweet!) it rattlesa bit with teh bass cranked.
I play it (ala Jonny Lang... All distortion, everything cranked no reverb or chorus) with a Saga LC 10...A 200 dollar kit. Probably the best electric I've owned yet.
I put 9's on it, and cranked the bridge WAY up. Its a slinky. I mean LOOSE. you cant play barre chords well. They detune.
I totally didnt finish the wood, and the pickups are stock, but SMOKIN hot. It has a rad tone.
When the neck gets grimy, as it does, I simply use a sanding sponge and resand the neck. My dream is someday she'll be a truss rod and a freatboard with a headstock and a heel. I dont really use the radius anyway.
Sometimers I doodle on her too, but not in this picture. Besides if I use a pencil, it will sand off

http://www.oldtestam...ages/guitar.jpg

Edited by fuego_delrio, 16 June 2005 - 08:45 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...