5 replies to this topic

#1 cdemw

cdemw
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • Original Name: cdemw

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:00 PM

Hi - could someone tell me what they think of my playing on a song I recorded on soundclick. It's "Reggae Adam", and it's a joke song, but it's just the first time I've tried to record/play slap and I'd appreciate any feedback on it. Also, can anyone recommend any good songs to listen to learn reggae/ska basslines just as a beginner? It's not really my type of music, I'm just trying to expand my repetoire...and failing...

cheers

user posted image

MY SOUNDCLICK

www.soundclick.com/herrrararr (non-adam)

www.soundclick.com/herrrararandhisadamtronicorchestra.htm

#2 pauliejay

pauliejay

ad hominem ad nauseum

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Original Name: pauliejay

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:17 PM

Reggae - get a Bob Marley greatest hits CD.

Ska - for real ska (ie from the early 1960s) get The Skatalites. For the Ska/Blue Beat blend of the late 70s/early80s get The Specials, The Beat, and Madness.

No popular modern band plays ska, no matter what people may tell you. This includes Rancid and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. It takes more than a guitar playing off-beats to make ska.

Now, onto your recording.

Sounds like you are using a passive bass?? The tone is good for this style. I'll be honest - it's not even close to being reggae. Just too many notes. In reggae you have to leave lots of space to enable the song to breathe.

I like the initial slides and the actual bassline is ok, but you could do with making it more rhythmic rather than filling out all of the space. The slapping has a vintage sound to it which I like. The timing is a little shoddy in places, so perhaps some practice with a metronome is in order. I'd also like to see you plucking other notes than just the octave.

Still, it's good to see you trying different styles - keep it up. smile.gif

#3 cdemw

cdemw
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

Thanks - I know the song isn't very reggae-ish - it's part of a joke for a friend (reggae adam, in fact), but I had no idea where to start so I just went for a more jaunty feel, and of course the slap bits aren't even close to reggae. The bass is just a knackered old Squier bass that is pretty much plugged straight into my computer, I just did all of the stuff on that track on my four track, so the tone is much luck as anything else. When I eventually get round to buying a real bass (hehe), it'll probably be a Warwick Corvette because I just found it so stupidly playable. I'm jsut using a Squier because it's all I've got mad.gif
Anyhow, thanks for the feedback, I'm going to check out some Bob Marley stuff now...smile.gif

user posted image

MY SOUNDCLICK

#4 station

station
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Original Name: station

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:35 PM

I am going to kind of echo pauliejay here saying that the timing was kind of off near the end with the slapping thing.

Also, i usually think of reggae having more fingerstyle than slap, and usually not just octaves. Try throwing in some syncopated rythms, specifically try leaving out some strong beats. Usually leave out the 3rd or just the downbeat and hit the upbeat to start off a little run.

#5 cdemw

cdemw
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

Thanks - I've learn Stir It Up and Three Birds now, and am starting Is This Love....they feel quite hard at first - but once you get the hang of the rhthym it's ok...it's just odd leaving out beats. I guess that's what comes from playing guitar first. Anyhow, thanks for the feedback - and it's nice that it's constructive because I'm sure I'd get ripped apart in some of the other forums. It's now too late to bass cos all of my housemates are asleep, and tomorrow I'm going to see the Manics - so Reggae is going to have to wait until Wednesday now sad.gif

user posted image

MY SOUNDCLICK

#6 ravaging

ravaging

4 8 15 16 23 42

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Original Name: ravaging

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:10 PM

well i haven't listened to it but to refer you to another band, Sublime considers themselves to be punk/ska/alternative/rock (at least the guitarist did, i forgot his name) so you could check them out. i like sublime... good bassist, too bad the lead singer had to die in a car crash a while back sad.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...