- - - - -

The best 8 track is?Which one should I shell money out for?

1 reply to this topic

#1 jbsoul

jbsoul
  • 12 posts
  • Original Name: jbsoul

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:56 PM

OK people...

I want to start recording ideas I have in my mind with an 8 track. I want to start fooling around and learning a bit more about recording now so that when the time comes to record, I've got an idea of what to do and how.

More importantly...to share my songs with friends and to get critique on my material I've got to give them more then a song recorded on my $40.00 tape recorder..lol.

So I've been looking around on ebay and saw a zoom mrs8...it looks pretty good and the review seem to be great and I like the fact that it's got a drum machine built in...but then again it's a $299.00 piece, and I see a fostex digital 8 track on there for $99.00, so I'm wondering If I shoul;d skip the drum machine aspect of it and just go wth the fostex. Obviously the effects and vocal effects make a big difference to me too...that's why I'm posting this to get your opinions on what a solid 8 track would be for my purpose.

Let me know what you think and if you're using software instead etc... and which ones and audio cards etc...

Thanks,
Josh cool.gif

#2 fuego_delrio

fuego_delrio
  • 15 posts
  • Original Name: fuego_delrio

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (jbsoul @ Jun 16 2005, 08:56 PM)
OK people...

I want to start recording ideas I have in my mind with an 8 track. I want to start fooling around and learning a bit more about recording now so that when the time comes to record, I've got an idea of what to do and how.

More importantly...to share my songs with friends and to get critique on my material I've got to give them more then a song recorded on my $40.00 tape recorder..lol.

So I've been looking around on ebay and saw a zoom mrs8...it looks pretty good and the review seem to be great and I like the fact that it's got a drum machine built in...but then again it's a $299.00 piece, and I see a fostex digital 8 track on there for $99.00, so I'm wondering If I shoul;d skip the drum machine aspect of it and just go wth the fostex. Obviously the effects and vocal effects make a big difference to me too...that's why I'm posting this to get your opinions on what a solid 8 track would be for my purpose.

Let me know what you think and if you're using software instead etc... and which ones and audio cards etc...

Thanks,
Josh cool.gif

Alright. With the stock soundcard in my Old HP and Windows 98 (it was a 466MHz Celeron propietary intel 810 motherboard, intergrated sound card) with a Behringer 12 channel mixer (I picked it up off eBay for a little over a 100. unless you have more tha a mic and a guitar you really only need 4 channels. They're under fifty) a Martin D 28, a Sony cheap Microphone and Cool Edit Pro 2 I did this song:

I simply put the inputs in stero from the output of the mixer to the stereo line in on the PC. Then I pan mic left and guitar right. After that its digital trickery to compile stereo tracks. You couldnt get better sounding Direct X sound effects. And singal porcessing. I recorded the whole thing @ 192KHZ 32 bit floating point. No 8 track does this kind of quality. They all do like 94Khz and 24 Bit.
And to tell the truth you can get Cool Edit still for around 35 bucks now. They went out of buisiness and sold to Adobe. I only upgraded cos theres a 5.1 encoder in Audition. But you can still get it for 199 I think. Or try the 30 day trial and use it up. It's a really good buy.
And look, I've tried other softwares. The Cubase. It's supposed to be so radical.
Get this: the .Exe file that runs it its 170 some MB. That means if you have under a Gig of RAM, no work. I have 256. It just stalls.
I've since upgraded to a newer HP with a P4 (I smelled silicon when I mixed this one down..it took like 45 minutes to compile). I've also fried the proprietary soundcard in the new HP and the low level outpouts in my Behringer, but heres the deal. The Low Z outputs STILL work, and I still use it with custom patches I made... Too cool, if you ask me and testament to German Engineering. I've also upgrade to Adobe audition 1.5.
I still havent matched this yet though.
Oh and by the way, all the drums were pasted on this in Auditons( Cool Edit, same thing) mixer view.
Here's a link to (17.4MBs worth) of HI quality WAVS.
http://www.oldtestam...cussion_set.exe

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...