- - - - -

penta tonic

19 replies to this topic

#1 Im the one confused

Im the one confused
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: Im the one confused

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:20 PM

i dont really see whats so special about it its not like its some crazy riff its just a couple of notes its rwally ez whats so special tho

#2 ein123

ein123
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Original Name: ein123

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

You should probably listen to Led Zeppelin or Guns N' Roses. It's like an alphabet. It won't make sense unless you make words or phrases out of it.

#3 TenaciousMe

TenaciousMe

Talk nerdy to me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Original Name: TenaciousMe

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:34 PM

tumbleweed.gif

...... Flame On.

Edited by TenaciousMe, 15 September 2005 - 04:39 PM.

Welcome to the Caribbean, mate

Check out some of my photography

#4 guitarstrummin63

guitarstrummin63

Mr. Official something or another (male... see i said Mr.)

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Original Name: guitarstrummin63

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:39 PM

it's a versitile (sp?) scale, even though it may be simple it's usefull

#5 glassprisoner0001

glassprisoner0001

King of Spainopolis

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts
  • Original Name: glassprisoner0001

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

Words be hard ta' speel huh? yesani.gif
user posted image
ARCH ENEMY - PURE F#*&ING METAL!!!

#6 Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Vulpes lagopus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,584 posts
  • Original Name: Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:01 PM

Why dob't you ask traditional oriental composers and musicians, seeing as the majority of their music is based on it? Or perhaps all the Blues players, because the blues scale is just an extension of the pentatonic. How about all the greats who have used it?

The pentatonic is an extremely versatile form of scale. That's all there is to it.

#7 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Continually
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (ein123 @ Sep 15 2005, 09:33 PM)
.....It's like an alphabet. It won't make sense unless you make words or phrases out of it.

This post answer is so appropriate I can't believe it! (In a couple of ways.)laugh.gif

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#8 lyn0007

lyn0007
  • 32 posts
  • Original Name: lyn0007

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (ein123 @ Sep 15 2005, 07:33 PM)
You should probably listen to Led Zeppelin or Guns N' Roses. It's like an alphabet. It won't make sense unless you make words or phrases out of it.

damn right!! thats the perfect example.
moe

#9 lyn0007

lyn0007
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:40 AM

judging by your picture "my chemical romance" ime guessing youe into that pop punk-emo' ######, if this is the case, dont put your mind to stress, just stick with the power chords pretty boy!
moe

#10 lyn0007

lyn0007
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:47 AM

sorry about that... just that emo stuff... gets me in a bad state.
moe

#11 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:13 AM

The pentatonic scale is one of those things every musician should know. The guitar is actually tuned to a G major/E minor pentatonic scale- G A B D E or
E G A B D.

#12 goober

goober
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Original Name: goober

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Im the one confused @ Sep 16 2005, 12:20 AM)
i dont really see whats so special about it its not like its some crazy riff its just a couple of notes its rwally ez whats so special tho

There are enldess ways to arrange those notes and enless techniques of playing them. Pentatonics are special because they make sense and feel good to most people of western culture. But don't limit yourself to them, definitely explore other scales and styles. Also, if you listen a little more you might find that playing pentatonics well isn't rwally all that ez afterall.

#13 K1k10b1

K1k10b1
  • 26 posts
  • Original Name: K1k10b1

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:20 AM

Yeah and its actually Driving me insane ATM trying to learn it and others lol

#14 BtDeko

BtDeko
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Original Name: BtDeko

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Im the one confused @ Sep 15 2005, 07:20 PM)

...Do you know how to use it? For that matter, do you even understand what a scale is?
user posted image
My beauty.

#15 sot

sot

What's going on? Where am I?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts
  • Original Name: sot

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (lyn0007 @ Sep 16 2005, 04:40 AM)
judging by your picture "my chemical romance" ime guessing youe into that pop punk-emo' ######, if this is the case, dont put your mind to stress, just stick with the power chords pretty boy!

You mean "My Chemical Girlpants"? tongue.gif

The Pentatonic is the basic framework of the major scale, it contains all the most important scale stones and by adding notes to it, it becomes incredibly versitile, know it, love it, use it.

Bottom of the Hill! Yea!

Listen to my band, Murderland

#16 peavey88

peavey88
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Original Name: peavey88

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (lyn0007 @ Sep 16 2005, 07:40 AM)

ooo...burn....

#17 sot

sot

What's going on? Where am I?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts
  • Original Name: sot

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (peavey88 @ Sep 16 2005, 03:25 PM)

ooo...burn....

Hmm...as much as I like calling them My chemical girlpants, they aren't really emo or pop punk and the songs they play are very well written with much more than just power chords and awesomelate 70's/ early 80's style power solos. They are quite good musicians that I enjoy listening to even more than I like making fun of their apperance. I say, make fun of the look but you really can't talk sh*t about the music. Take the song thanks for all the Venom, its opening riff is great, the solo is great and there are almost no power chords in the entire song. So please, try and be an informed sh*t talker in the future. yesani.gif

Bottom of the Hill! Yea!

Listen to my band, Murderland

#18 peavey88

peavey88
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Original Name: peavey88

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (sot @ Sep 16 2005, 06:48 PM)

ooo...burn....

Hmm...as much as I like calling them My chemical girlpants, they aren't really emo or pop punk and the songs they play are very well written with much more than just power chords and awesomelate 70's/ early 80's style power solos. They are quite good musicians that I enjoy listening to even more than I like making fun of their apperance. I say, make fun of the look but you really can't talk sh*t about the music. Take the song thanks for all the Venom, its opening riff is great, the solo is great and there are almost no power chords in the entire song. So please, try and be an informed sh*t talker in the future. yesani.gif

well i'm not the one asking why people think penatonic scales are so good.

#19 guitarfan19

guitarfan19
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Original Name: guitarfan19

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

ooo...burn....

sot, you are too cool man cool.gif

#20 lyn0007

lyn0007
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:23 PM

ooo...burn....

yeah your right about that - ime just a little hot headed when it comes to that. i havnt really paid much true attention to those guys anyway. maybe i should.
moe

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...