- - - - -

Two-rock AmpsWhat other amps sound like them?

9 replies to this topic

#1 echoes_4

echoes_4
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Original Name: echoes_4

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:59 PM

Hey everyone,

Looking for a new tube amp with an awesome clean tone, and some gain for blues when needed. I've heard the two-rock custom reverb signature, and its amazing. In fact, I think it has every sound I would personally ever need. However, the price tag is ridiculous, weighing in at $6000-6500 US. Now,... I can look on ebay, and maybe score one for somewhat cheaper after a bit of time, however, I was wondering whether anyone knew of any manufactuers or models that sound pretty close to this tone. I'm highly considering a Fender tube, but there has been so many damn models over the past years (reverb, reverb pro, vibroverb, vibroking, etc.) that I don't know what each amp entails. Its hard to track down a store that carries a wide variety of fender amps at any one moment. Any words would be helpful here guys. If it helps I'm looking for a nice shimmering clean tone, maybe with minimal drive....Think Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Mayer (old or JM3) and just blues in general. Oh yeah, the clean tone is most important so, if it doesn't have OD, then it really doesnt matter. Thanks for the help in advance...

- Matthew

Edited by echoes_4, 03 November 2005 - 01:01 PM.

#2 ink_eyes

ink_eyes
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Original Name: ink_eyes

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

sounds like you need a bassman 59 or a super reverb the reissues are amazing - godly tone they are both around 1000 over here

#3 HurleySurf

HurleySurf
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Original Name: HurleySurf

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

Well... This may or may not be true, BUT... if you are like most people newly interested in Two-Rock, it's probably because John plays them and you don't want us to know. Hah... Don't worry about it though. I had never heard of them until John started using them. If you are looking for a Two-Rock sound, I don't think your going to get it from Fender. Look into a regular Custom Reverb. Those are considerably cheaper and John uses them extensively on his larger tours as I've heard. They run ABOUT $3000 for the head I believe. Also, I don't know if you are aware about what Mayer has been using on the JM3 tour, but he recently added a Fender 57 Twin which is a 2x12 Custom Shop amp that sells new for a little less than $3000 to his live rig. It's supposed to be sweet. I still think I'd take a Vibroking over the Twin, but many would disagree with me. And finally, for the famous Covered In Rain tone of AGT, he used a Fender Super Reverb. I actually own a Super Reverb and couldn't be any happier really. I really depends on your price range. To sum it up: check out the Two-Rock Custom Reverb for the Two-Rock tone and the '57 Twin for that old-skool Fender tone. ~N8
user posted image

#4 echoes_4

echoes_4
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (HurleySurf @ Nov 4 2005, 03:26 AM)
  If you are looking for a Two-Rock sound, I don't think your going to get it from Fender.  Look into a regular Custom Reverb.  Those are considerably cheaper and John uses them extensively on his larger tours as I've heard.  They run ABOUT $3000 for the head I believe.    ~N8

Hmm that interesting... Theres a tonequest article where hes talking about his main amp being the custom reverb signature. I heard heard the custom reverb and the step up to Sig is only a 20% Diff in sound, but its worth looking into. Oh yeah, Its true, if he hadnt played them i would have never found out about them, however, they have a truly amazing tone. All the soundclips and reviews on the net praise them like mad. I guess I don't mind saving for a custom reverb,. but that whole 20% better thing almost makes me want to save for that..

#5 HurleySurf

HurleySurf
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

Well... His main amp definately is the Sig, but I've heard he uses the Custom Reverbs as well for the larger arena type tours just so he can beat up his $4000 amp head rather than his $6000 amp head. Hah... On this JM3 tour, where he wanted nothing but the best, he was definately using his Sig as well as a Dumble, Vibroverb, 57 Twin, Vibratone, and Victoria reverb unit. Hah... But honestly... I'd for sure settle for a Custom Reverb. But if you want to get the Sig, go for it. I was just trying to offer some other amps that you might like as well for a little less cash. ~N8
user posted image

#6 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:24 AM

Check out the Mesa Lonestar. I can't say enough good things about that amp. It has every sound I could ever want. You could get a new 2x12 for about 2 grand american.

One thing to remember about it if you check it out is that it's got slightly different EQ controls, it takes some fiddling to get it to sound good. I have the mids at about 10 oclock for both clean and dirty, whereas on most amps I turn the mids all the way up. So, keep that in mind as you are testing...

#7 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:43 PM

Barry Sless of the David Nelson Band uses Two Rock. Those are some fine sounding and well made amplifiers. If you are specifically looking for the sound of an amplifier like a Two Rock you might as well start saving. Anything else that I can think of that comes close costs a good bit. Fuchs makes an amplifier that is based on a Dumble which is in the same ballpark. But it is still going to be a $3000 amplifier. Sometimes you have to spend the money to get exactly what you want.
Though if you need to go the budget route I think you ought to check out some Fender-inspired boutique amplifiers that don't cost quite as much. Dr Z might be a good choice. Or even Bad Cat. Bad Cat's amplifiers have that hi fi sound and are expensive but in general cost less than Two Rock.

#8 echoes_4

echoes_4
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:47 AM

Actually, in that tonequest article he was saying he used a Vibro King. I've heard these amps are good from other people - super sensitive in terms of dynamics though. I'm sure someone mods whatever the amps are that pros play so its hard to tell exactly what the amp sounds like stock. Any experiance with Vibro Kings?

Edited by echoes_4, 07 November 2005 - 08:48 AM.

#9 HurleySurf

HurleySurf
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:44 PM

The Vibroking is one of my favorite amps. It really puts everything about your fingers and pick through the speakers. It's no Two-Rock though. But like you said... John's are modded. He ditched the Vibrokings for the JM3 tour and went with an original '64 Vibroverb. His guitar tech for the tour was also SRV's guitar tech for a little while and he suggested it to John. But really man... If you want Two-Rock tone, your only option is Two-Rock. ~N8
user posted image

#10 TheGrayMusk

TheGrayMusk
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Original Name: TheGrayMusk

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:15 PM

Look at Peavey Classics or Delta Blues. They aren't $5000+ amps but they are still pretty good. I have one that was about $500 and it does everything that you seem to want. It's not amazingly large or loud but it gets the job done damn well.
IPB Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...