27 replies to this topic

#1 peterml

peterml
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Original Name: peterml

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:39 PM

I can hardly remember the last time all my fretting hand fingers were 100% free from pain. Nowadays I practise between 5-8 hours a day ( Never 5 hours actually...more like 7-8) and always atleast one of my fingers has some kind of wound. It`s driving my insane because I can`t play my best and I have to adapt my practise to use only three fingers. I hardly ever bend anymore because that would completely kill my fingers. sad.gif

Edited by peterml, 22 November 2005 - 02:58 PM.

Lady May
user posted image -Mark Knopfler, A true master in action

#2 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

over kill.

#3 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:01 PM

take a break from physcially - you don't have to physically play guitar to better yourself musically.

#4 wishiwuzhendrix

wishiwuzhendrix
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Original Name: wishiwuzhendrix

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

yeah, i think you are wearing down your calluses faster than they can rebuild. Try super glue on the ends of your fingers. It will work, but make sure you buy the kind that comes off easily with water. I dunno what brand it is, but it is like water soluble super glue. Would work wonders for people who play 7 hours a day.

#5 madaxeman

madaxeman
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts
  • Original Name: madaxeman

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:04 PM

Pain is your body's way of telling you to stop whatever it is your doing. I suggest a break is in order. Maybe work on some picking exercises for a week or so until the pain is gone.

You will seriously hurt yourself perhaps permanantly if you don't.
Posted Image

#6 velvetrevolver220

velvetrevolver220

(hmm)

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Original Name: velvetrevolver220

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (badasstommyboy @ Nov 22 2005, 05:01 PM)
take a break from physcially  - you don't have to physically play guitar to better yourself musically.

I agree. Work on some theory, or something.

#7 musicman2000

musicman2000
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Original Name: musicman2000

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:12 PM

like everyone else said your playing more than you should, but i doubt you are actually practicing 7-8 hours a day. nobody i know practices that much a day, thats more like two or three days worth of practice.

#8 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (musicman2000 @ Nov 23 2005, 12:12 AM)
like everyone else said your playing more than you should, but i doubt you are actually practicing 7-8 hours a day. nobody i know practices that much a day, thats more like two or three days worth of practice.

its quite possible to do that, i once did 10 hours a day for 2 months solid. Quite a lot of guitarists have a stage where they go mad for practicing.

#9 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (peterml @ Nov 22 2005, 11:39 PM)
I can hardly remember the last time all my fretting hand fingers were 100% free from pain. Nowadays I practise between 5-8 hours a day ( Never 5 hours actually...more like 7-8) and always atleast one of my fingers has some kind of wound. It`s driving my insane because I can`t play my best and I have to adapt my practise to use only three fingers. I hardly ever bend anymore because that would completely kill my fingers.  sad.gif

Nice to have that kind of free time. biggrin.gif
I used to practice up to 12 hours a day when i was first learning, sometimes more. But every now and again you need to take a couple of days away from playing. Just put the guitar down and not touch it. This will infact benifit your playing, as i have found from experiance. The fingers will feel better for a rest, and aslo the stuff you are working on will start to gel better. So when you go back to a peice after a couple of days, that you have been working on for a while, the fingers seem to be able to perform their tasks much more readily. That muscle memory seems to work better after a couple of days break. biggrin.gif

#10 musicman2000

musicman2000
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (badasstommyboy @ Nov 22 2005, 06:16 PM)

its quite possible to do that, i once did 10 hours a day for 2 months solid. Quite a lot of guitarists have a stage where they go mad for practicing.

i never practiced that long on one instrument i might have all togeather, on sax guitar piano flute and singing. but i still think that he is overestimateing how long he is practicing.

#11 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,996 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (musicman2000 @ Nov 23 2005, 12:24 AM)

i never practiced that long on one instrument i might have all togeather, on sax guitar piano flute and singing. but i still think that he is overestimateing how long he is practicing.

Why is he overestimating. I know for a fact i used to practice up to 12 hours, stopping only to eat and drink. Sometimes i would get up at 6 in the mornings in the summer months, and would still be playing till one or 2 the following morning. Time dissapears when you become so involved in something. guitar.gif

#12 cheapthrills16

cheapthrills16

im that person you think is following you ..dont worry im not

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Original Name: cheapthrills16

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:53 PM

same here and i cant get away from it either after a few hours i begin to miss my guitar and i get real nervous afraid that somethings going to happen to it or something
you win a spanky and the official idiot title

yeah now its official

its official, youre a nutcase blink.gif

#13 count crunkula

count crunkula

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Original Name: count crunkula

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:22 PM

i dont like to go to friend's places who dont have guitars.. it's just so empty.

#14 greatness7410

greatness7410
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Original Name: greatness7410

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:57 PM

the muscle memory comes after with sleep.

They did some scientific study that found that out. Of course, that doesnt have to be true.

#15 musicman2000

musicman2000
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Nov 22 2005, 06:34 PM)

Why is he overestimating. I know for a fact i used to practice up to 12 hours, stopping only to eat and drink. Sometimes i would get up at 6 in the mornings in the summer months, and would still be playing till one or 2 the following morning. Time dissapears when you become so involved in something. guitar.gif

i think he's overestimating because i know for a fact that none of my friends practice anything for that long, and they are all music majors, and some of them are guitar majors. granted you do lose track of time when your practicing but it just dosen't happen on such a large scale to me or any of my friends.
i'm not saying that people don't do it, but it's not going to happen daily like he makes it sound. i'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, that's just my experience with practicing.
also i just want to say that i've been playing for like nine years so i'm not just talking out of my butt, and don't take that wrong i'm sure you have been playing for alot longer than i have. this is just my experience with this.

#16 kaervek

kaervek
  • 19 posts
  • Original Name: kaervek

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:48 PM

If your fingertips are cracking behind the nail then all you need to do is use some hand lotion. I had that happen to me, my skin is very dry and I know if I don't use a moisturizer on my hands after playing, my fingers dry out really bad and start cracking.

I dealt with the pain for a week straight before I finally asked a doctor about it and that's what they told me to do and now my fingers don't hurt from that anymore.

If your fingers just hurt from muscle strain, then yeah, you should take a few days off like everyone has suggested.

#17 KaZu

KaZu

King Kong

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,772 posts
  • Original Name: KaZu

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:10 PM

DUde, get some friends.

#18 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,996 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (musicman2000 @ Nov 23 2005, 02:56 AM)
QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Nov 22 2005, 06:34 PM)

i think he's overestimating because i know for a fact that none of my friends practice anything for that long, and they are all music majors, and some of them are guitar majors. granted you do lose track of time when your practicing but it just dosen't happen on such a large scale to me or any of my friends.
i'm not saying that people don't do it, but it's not going to happen daily like he makes it sound. i'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, that's just my experience with practicing.
also i just want to say that i've been playing for like nine years so i'm not just talking out of my butt, and don't take that wrong i'm sure you have been playing for alot longer than i have. this is just my experience with this.

Then our experiances differ. I for one belive Peter, partly becacuse of his obsession with guitar, and the advancements he has made since joining this forum as a relative beginner. A lot of us regs have seen him grow as a guitarist. You don`t seem to disbelive me when i say how much time i used to put is to my practice. I would also say i spend 13 hours a day working as a guitar teacher, and as that i am able to guage ones advancement, and i am able to tell how much practice someone puts into their guitar, by the way they advance. I have always thought that he puts in an average of 4 hours a day, But having listened to his latest sound clicks, i would say he is doing at least half as much again. biggrin.gif

#19 leebop99

leebop99
  • 37 posts
  • Original Name: leebop99

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:07 PM

Try new strings or an easier guitar to play. A few years ago (when I had alot of free time) I would play for 4 to 7 hours every day. My fingers rarely hurt, mainly because of good calluses. But if your strings aren't too old, and your guitar is decent, then maybe try practicing songs/licks with few bends (bends are the hardest on your fingers). Or maybe try spraying that spray stuff on your strings to make them slippery. There should be no need to take a break or play less in my opinion.

#20 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:56 AM

I went mad practising last year and got carpel tunnel syndrone. Go to the doctors!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...