- - - - -

Volume question

18 replies to this topic

#1 leebop99

leebop99
  • 37 posts
  • Original Name: leebop99

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:35 PM

I use a single channel tube amp. I use the master volume for setting the volume at gigs, and I leave the volume knob (the gain) up high (around 7) to get my distortion. I use the volume knob on the guitar to control the level of speaker distortion (3 is clean, 10 for lead). I use effect pedals only in rare situations.
I do it this way because I love the tone I get out of my amp, and don't want any distortion pedal messing it up. My question is, if I got a volume pedal, and used it instead of my guitar volume to control my amp distortion, would I change my tone at all? Or my sound in any way. (I get tired of constantly adjusting the guitar volume knob).

#2 glassprisoner0001

glassprisoner0001

King of Spainopolis

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts
  • Original Name: glassprisoner0001

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:59 PM

Get a guitar with dual volume controls, set the neck pup very low, and the bridge all the way up, and then just flip the switch to get clean and distorted tones. That's the most efficient way anyway.

Edited by glassprisoner0001, 22 November 2005 - 10:59 PM.

user posted image
ARCH ENEMY - PURE F#*&ING METAL!!!

#3 bobdingwood

bobdingwood

i have a very sexy learning disorder...sexlexia

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
  • Location:southern california aka nothern california (northern is slang for southern in california)
  • Original Name: bobdingwood

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:26 PM

a volume pedal is exactly the same as a volume knob, it wont make anything sound different, unless you do something goofy and put it in the effects loop or something

#4 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,503 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (glassprisoner0001 @ Nov 23 2005, 07:59 AM)
Get a guitar with dual volume controls, set the neck pup very low, and the bridge all the way up, and then just flip the switch to get clean and distorted tones. That's the most efficient way anyway.

For example a Les Paul

#5 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:21 AM

I use a volume pedal when I play electrically for similar reasons. I play pretty clean and like the natural overdrive from a tube amp on high-volume. I think a volume pedal is an extremely important part of my set up, and I'm almost continually working it while I play (like some guitarists might use a wah) to accent some parts and restrain others. It frees up my fingers to do the more important work on the strings instead of messing with the knobs. A volume pedal should do no more than control the volume, like a single V-C would on a guitar.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#6 nivag2k1

nivag2k1

Jemima

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,141 posts
  • Original Name: nivag2k1

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Nov 23 2005, 10:46 AM)

For example a Les Paul

i think most gibsons if not all have dual volume controls, one for each pickup.

correct me if im wrong...
The List!
Woggie - For coming up with lyrics that made me laugh.
Me - "Sod That For A Lark!"

The List of things i don't get:

The shit. I'm ready. - Gummy

--------

#7 UFWHOA

UFWHOA
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Original Name: UFWHOA

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:05 AM

the volume pedal is the way to go because all it does is act as another variable resistor for the guitar output, much like the volume pot. Also the dual volume knobs and switching between pickups is another idea I like and that's something to consider as well. but if you wanna go for most convenience, the volume pedal is a great idea.
I am very prone to typos, sorry

#8 nivag2k1

nivag2k1

Jemima

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (UFWHOA @ Nov 23 2005, 03:05 PM)
the volume pedal is the way to go because all it does is act as another variable resistor for the guitar output, much like the volume pot. Also the dual volume knobs and switching between pickups is another idea I like and that's something to consider as well. but if you wanna go for most convenience, the volume pedal is a great idea.

and it's probably cheaper as well.
The List!

--------

#9 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,503 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (nivag2k1 @ Nov 23 2005, 01:29 PM)

For example a Les Paul

I think your right

#10 nivag2k1

nivag2k1

Jemima

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Nov 23 2005, 04:10 PM)

For example a Les Paul

I think your right

i thought so. I usually am!
tongue.gif
The List!

--------

#11 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,503 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (nivag2k1 @ Nov 23 2005, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (nealmac @ Nov 23 2005, 04:10 PM)

For example a Les Paul

I think your right

i thought so. I usually am!
tongue.gif

I'd love be like you..........always right...........

#12 metallica_fan_03

metallica_fan_03
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Original Name: metallica_fan_03

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:47 AM

7yeah it'll work great- i'm the exact same as you- i use a single channel tube amp and i use a volume pedal- works great and doesn't affect the tone other than the same ways your guitar volume knob will. i got mine for 10 euro and its the 1 piece of kit i will always use with my amp.

#13 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (nivag2k1 @ Nov 23 2005, 07:29 AM)

For example a Les Paul

You aren't wrong. Most do. I have a Gibson ES-120 that only has one volume control knob though.

(Of course it only has a single P-90 on it! laugh.gif )

jacksontz.jpg

#14 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Nov 23 2005, 04:20 PM)

For example a Les Paul

You aren't wrong. Most do. I have a Gibson ES-120 that only has one volume control knob though.

If your guitar has a single P90 there is a good possibility that your guitar may actually be an ES-125. Unless the pickup has been switched out. Is your guitar the one with the huge pickguard with the pickup built into it? If your pickup is narrow with a plastic pickup cover and does not have visible polepieces it is not a P90 though it is still a Gibson single coil.

#15 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (misterhat @ Nov 23 2005, 12:33 PM)

For example a Les Paul

If your guitar has a single P90 there is a good possibility that your guitar may actually be an ES-125. Unless the pickup has been switched out. Is your guitar the one with the huge pickguard with the pickup built into it? If your pickup is narrow with a plastic pickup cover and does not have visible polepieces it is not a P90 though it is still a Gibson single coil.

I just happen to have that one here in my office (I recently loaned it to someone who works here for a gig). It has the big molded pickguard. It's definately (?) a 120 because I have the hang-tag in the case and can see the ES120-T stamped inside the guitar through the f-hole as well. The pickup is a completely enclosed single-coil, which I'd assumed the P-90 was Gibson's only single coil available when it was manufactured, but I've never had it apart to examine it or anything. It might not be a P-90 (although it is definately the original pickup. I bought the guitar mint and never even played from a widow who'd bought it new for her husband as a Christmas present because he said he wanted to learn to play but never did, nor ever even took it out of its case again after Christmas morning in 1964.) I thought it to be a 125 when I first saw it because I'd recently seen slide-guitarist Roy Rodgers' guitar and it looked extremely similar to his and he said his was a 125. Awhile after I bought it and looked inside with a light, I saw the stamping and found the hang-tag.

jacksontz.jpg

#16 leebop99

leebop99
  • 37 posts
  • Original Name: leebop99

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:16 AM

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'll get a volume pedal. I would get a new guitar with 2 volumes pots, but I don't want to get a new guitar, I like the guitars I have. Plus you would be limiting yourself, i.e you would always be using the same pickup for your clean playing, and the other pickup for your lead... unless you quickly swap volume levels. (which is what I'm trying to get away from)

#17 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Nov 23 2005, 05:57 PM)

For example a Les Paul

I just happen to have that one here in my office (I recently loaned it to someone who works here for a gig). It has the big molded pickguard. It's definately (?) a 120 because I have the hang-tag in the case and can see the ES120-T stamped inside the guitar through the f-hole as well. The pickup is a completely enclosed single-coil, which I'd assumed the P-90 was Gibson's only single coil available when it was manufactured, but I've never had it apart to examine it or anything. It might not be a P-90 (although it is definately the original pickup. I bought the guitar mint and never even played from a widow who'd bought it new for her husband as a Christmas present because he said he wanted to learn to play but never did, nor ever even took it out of its case again after Christmas morning in 1964.) I thought it to be a 125 when I first saw it because I'd recently seen slide-guitarist Roy Rodgers' guitar and it looked extremely similar to his and he said his was a 125. Awhile after I bought it and looked inside with a light, I saw the stamping and found the hang-tag.

That pickup is not a P90. But it is a Gibson single coil pickup, the same kind of pickup that was in the Melody Maker and Epiphone Olympic.

#18 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (misterhat @ Nov 23 2005, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (dadfad @ Nov 23 2005, 05:57 PM)

For example a Les Paul

That pickup is not a P90. But it is a Gibson single coil pickup, the same kind of pickup that was in the Melody Maker and Epiphone Olympic.

Then that's probably why it makes an excellent sounding electric slide guitar. The older style Gibson singles had more "edge" (more like a Tele maybe) than the P-90s which were a little "fatter" than the old style ones or the Fender singles. Being in a hollowbody warms it up a bit compared to say a Melody Maker. It's an excellent playing guitar, but a bit limited in its range of tones having only the one single coil. It was the budget entry model into Gibson's ES hollows.

jacksontz.jpg

#19 claptonman

claptonman
  • GZ Regular
  • 18,572 posts
  • Original Name: Claptonman

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Nov 23 2005, 10:10 AM)

For example a Les Paul

I think your right

Eh, I think you're right. there are a couple gibsons that have 3 knobs. Some are the explorer, flying V, and the les paul junior. Not sure if two of them are volume knobs or just two tone knobs.
Leedle Leedle Leedle

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...