- - - - -

learning to play guitarNEWBIE

7 replies to this topic

#1 badddboxer

badddboxer
  • 13 posts
  • Original Name: badddboxer

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:58 PM

I have been playing around with my guitar for a month or so now. I purchased a Ibanez RG series guitar and a crate amp (XT120R) planning to learn to play. I have learned a couple things but am wanting to know how to really learn. I am getting frustrated trying to learn chords, read music ect. I know how to read tabs and am fairly confident in playing most simplictic tabs. My goal is to play soft/hard rock. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I should be praticing on, and possibly a good site for lesson/information. I am already a member of Jamorama, which has helped a lot but I want something more on the rock side of things vs. the all around lessons. Any help or info would be greatly apprieated!!!

Thanks-

#2 redharmony

redharmony

shreddin' the blues

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts
  • Original Name: redharmony

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

youve got some decent equipment for a beginer. thats a good start. just play things you can play right away, like simple songs with 3 chords or so. thatll keep you intrested. learn songs from your favorite bands/artist for now. from there you can get into more chords (all the opens, barres, and power) and some simple lead stuff. (mostly bluesy pentatonic based)

I used to shred, now I draw. 

#3 OriginalSin99

OriginalSin99
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Original Name: OriginalSin99

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:21 PM

I would try to find some relatively cheap guitar lessons, but try to get what you pay for. I tinkered around in my basement for about 3 years and got semi-descent, but once I started taking lessons it took me to a whole new level. I suggest taking lessons early.

#4 greatness7410

greatness7410
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Original Name: greatness7410

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:38 PM

Work on the chords more. You need those more than anything else. (You said you had trouble with them). If you need anything, I'm sure there are about twenty people here to help.

#5 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:58 AM

Yeah take the lessons. It will be worth it. And you say you get frustrated with chords? Man, the most important basic thing about guitar playing is knowing your chords inside out. I don't mean every chord (as there are probably an infinite number of chords) but you need to know quite a few. Here's where the lessons come in handy.

#6 Nimzi

Nimzi
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Original Name: Nimzi

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:34 AM

You must know all the open chords. E - D - A all mayor of course. With those 3 chords you can play Semisonic - Chemestry...
Try learning some riffs too. Like Nirvana come as you are, Love Buzz, The Man Who Sold the World, Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam ect... Then learn the power chords (check this page http://guitarallianc...s/power_chords/ )... They allow you to play almost every song with Nirvana and Green Day, Blink 182 ect.

But remember to have fun smile.gif
Life is a box

#7 Bert n Ernie

Bert n Ernie

allo allo

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Original Name: Bert n Ernie

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:39 PM

if you get bored with chords and scales try out some simple riffs and songs.

try out stuff like: 7 nation army(white stripes) smoke on the water(deep purple) put your lights on(santana) james bond theme, riffs from iron man

once you get the strumming patterns down (which is like the hardest things in those songs) try some more advanced stuff like

highway to hell (acdc)
nothing else matters (metallica)

but, like they said. chords, barres, scales etc.

peace, Nate

#8 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,100 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:51 PM

Yes, learn (especially) your chords. Lessons will help, but you can learn a lot on your own if you really try to LEARN as opposed to just messing around on your guitar once in awhile. A lot of beginners get pigeon-holed into being able to play about fifty "cool-parts" of tunes but can't play anything all the way through and couldn't even tell you what key they're playing in. Don't let that happen. Chords are the basic structure of all tunes, not a twenty-second lead-line off of a tab. Make a conscious attempt to learn all of your important chord-shapes, what makes a chord (three different notes. A first, third and fifth for a basic major chord), and how simple changes and additions to those three basic notes will create a new chord (like flattening the third one fret will change a major chord into minor chord, etc).

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...