- - - - -

Those poor fingers of ours....how can we repair them?

9 replies to this topic

#1 echoes_4

echoes_4
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Original Name: echoes_4

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:43 PM

Hey,

Now I was just wondering if anyone knew how to do this method. When we play (anyone who plays has experianced this), we sometimes have the skin under our nails pulled back (from bends), and it sucks - you cant play, or at least bend, for even 2-3 days at a time. I heard, that if you use moleskin (the liquid skin stuff) and make a layer under there, over your wound, you are then able to apply super glue over that to attach the skin back to the nail for reinforcement, to make it even stronger than it was before. I'm not saying this has to be used all the time, but when we're doing shows night after night then you need backup. Does this work? has anyone tried it out? Any other repair methods?

-Matt

Edited by echoes_4, 29 November 2005 - 12:45 PM.

#2 gergtreble

gergtreble

cogito ergo sum

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Original Name: gergtreble

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:41 PM

Personaly I bite my nails down to the quick.

So no problems with bending for me....

Greg

#3 kaervek

kaervek
  • 19 posts
  • Original Name: kaervek

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:54 PM

If you use a skin lotion/moisturizer then your fingertips won't do that. Mine used to do that really bad, but my local pharmacist told me to use a moisturizer on my fingers and they'd stop doing that.

For the record, I play with .10's and I bend like crazy, and since I started using the lotion, my fingers haven't split anymore.

#4 palmbayguitarist11

palmbayguitarist11
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Original Name: palmbayguitarist11

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

I haven't really got any fingernails, so I wouldn't know.
IPB Image

Awarded the gummyworms_tbr medal for excellent taste in Eric Clapton sig' pictures.

#5 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:26 PM

part of me thinks this from when you bend your strings they're getting caught under the nail, in which case I would suggest cutting your nails short and making sure they stay short.

#6 kg815

kg815
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Original Name: kg815

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:39 PM

i'd agree with the moisturizer thing, it definitely helps. it also helps to keep your nails consistently at a length that is comfortable

#7 TenaciousMe

TenaciousMe

Talk nerdy to me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Original Name: TenaciousMe

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:45 PM

I've heard DADFAD reccomend using super glue as a quickfix for cuts on your fingers that you may get during a gig. So it must work. yesani.gif

Welcome to the Caribbean, mate

Check out some of my photography

#8 echoes_4

echoes_4
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Original Name: echoes_4

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:25 PM

I think some you guys may be thinking of a different type of cut,.. the moisture wont cover this one,.. I'm talking about when you bend, and and your nail actually separates from the skin under it, so if you were to pullyour finger tip away from your nail, it would hurt alot. i wish i could draw a picture. the same thing would happen if you were to pull your nail back toward the middle of your hand. The end of your fingernail separates from the skin under it...

#9 kaervek

kaervek
  • 19 posts
  • Original Name: kaervek

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's caused from your callousses because all they really are is dry skin. Once you've accumulated enough dry skin at your fingertips, it draws more moisture from your hands to those dried out spots to attempt to rejuvinate them. I was in pain for a week with this problem before I asked my local pharmacist about it. My finger nails seemed to pull away from my finger tips just as you've described and I knew I wasn't catching the strings underneath my nails when I would do bends.

Believe me, use moisturizer on your fingertips and hands and you won't have that problem anymore within a few days time. It also won't cause you to lose your callousses either so don't worry about that.

#10 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,818 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:14 PM

Keep your nails short. When I started taking lessons my teacher made sure my nails were cut every week. You won't have any problems with finger pain once you've destroyed every nerve in them. I occasionally amuse myself by picking up hot things with my finger tips and nonchalantly handing them to people.

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...