- - - - -

Cables!!!!A Question About how To fix Cables.

8 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarPlayer_heavymetal

GuitarPlayer_heavymetal
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Original Name: GuitarPlayer_heavymetal

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

hi,im new to this site. and i wanted to ask a real good guitarist who knows what they are at a little question.anyway here it is.....you know the cable that goes from your guitar to your amp.well my cable is screwed.it keeps fuzing & "kicking"on and off.im getting fet up with it. protest.gif everytime i put my distortion pedal on it works for like 2 minutes then starts fuzzing,and goes back to clear. is there any way i good fix this,or do i have to buy new cables?
-thanks for your help. smile.gif

Edited by GuitarPlayer_heavymetal, 09 December 2005 - 07:23 PM.

#2 laker0902

laker0902
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts
  • Original Name: laker0902

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:47 PM

I'd say just buy a new cable, to me it wouldn't be worth the time messing around with it.

~Sara

#3 OriginalSin99

OriginalSin99
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Original Name: OriginalSin99

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:22 PM

Get "Monster" cables, they have a 100% lifetime warranty, I have mine and I've put them through hell and still haven't had a problem. Other than that, I really don't know how to fix a broken cable, sorry I can't help.

#4 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,811 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

Just unscrew the ends and pull the plastic sheath off the where the wires are soldered to the metal input. There are likely one or two separate wires soldered to the input. If either of them has become detatched or poorly attached that is probably the problem. Just resolder them properly and screw the end back on. That should solve the buzzing. If not it's too complicated to bother fixing as a new cable is $10.

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#5 rweezera

rweezera
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Original Name: rweezera

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:18 PM

yea just go out and spend the money on quality cables. i have monster and it has never given me a problem. it's worth the money for quality...

#6 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:31 AM

Might also be worth checking your input sockets on the guitar/pedal, etc, just to cover all the bases here.
If the jack has been swivelling about in the socket on the guitar then it can loosen it and twist it about, causing the connection inside to fracture or break. If people twist the screw in to tighten it again then that can make it worse. Unscrew the jack plate, check the connections. If it needs a resolder, solder it up. Tighten the washer, then screw the plate back on. (One thing that's worth doing is to thread the cable out from the socket on the guitar through your guitar strap down by your strap button (hard to explain in words on an internet forum). It means that if you tread on the cable you're not going to pull it out of the socket, and it also stops the jack from swivelling around in the socket and causing it to unthread or twisting the internal wiring and breaking it.)

If it is the cable and if it's an issue at the jack-ends like Six talked about then it might be fixable. If the cable has fractured along its length - as can happen if you twist it so it kinks, or stand on it - then you might as well get a new one.
If you have to do down the replacement route, go for a decent quality cable. You don't necessarily need to splash out on Monster, George L, ProCo, etc to get a decent cable, people like Venom, Fender and the likes make some perfectly fine stuff too, but it's certainly worth investing in something of a reasonable level of quality.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#7 OG Loc

OG Loc
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Original Name: OG Loc

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

I think GL's have solderless cables that you can just snap the jack on the cable, and boom you are ready to go.

#8 -=FreeBird=-

-=FreeBird=-
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Original Name: -=FreeBird=-

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:49 PM

I have fixed dozens of cables with a soldering iron and solder, this is most likely your problem as six gun sound explained above.

#9 darien

darien
  • 67 posts
  • Original Name: darien

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:02 PM

well there iz 2 wires and all u have to do is make them touch

blink 182 rox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by darien, 11 December 2005 - 12:09 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...