#21 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

I doubt that either one of those you mentioned would be a really bad guitar. I would probably choose the Epiphone over the BC Rich if I didn't have a guitar that I thought would get the job done. The Epiphone would be a little bit more versatile. And if you play music other than heavy metal you will be taken a bit more seriously showing up with the Epiphone than you would with the BC Rich.
However, neither one of those guitars is particularly special. The Epiphone might be okay but you might need to change the pickups and/or hardware. But even if you did change the pickups you would still have a cheap guitar with good pickups. Good pickups does not always equal a good guitar. And with the amount of money you would have to spend for one of those guitars plus upgrades you could buy a pretty decent guitar that you wouldn't need to or want to modify. As long as I have been playing I have never had to get new pickups for my guitars because I liked them the way they came.
One of those Hohner G3s, the ones that look like Steinbergers, look like they might be pretty decent quality. In fact I may get one for traveling. But that seems like a good guitar for the money. And it shouldn't cost any more than that Epiphone. You might also want to check out a Cort Matt Guitar Murphy model.
Or you could continue saving your money for something like an American Stratocaster, a pretty darn decent guitar that is very versatile. You might also want to investigate an American Telecaster. Also, in that price range you could afford a used Japanese Tokai Les Paul or Fender copy.
Though what might be a good idea is to simply start going around to local and regional guitar stores until you see and play something that really does it for you. It may or may not be something that us GTUers have recommended.

#22 breakdancingcj

breakdancingcj
  • 21 posts
  • Original Name: breakdancingcj

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:53 PM

i do play metal alot and BC Rich is just perfect for that. If you replaced pickups it would be even better, but it dont have a whammy bar (some versions dont at least). BC Rich for hard rock and metal, ehp for something else.

#23 brutus10

brutus10
  • 13 posts
  • Original Name: brutus10

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (afpalmer3 @ Jan 29 2006, 06:08 AM)
I'd prob go with the epiphone.

However neither are great guitars. I don't know that much about BC rich, but I do know that unless you pay big $$$ for one they are pretty poor in quality.

The Epiphone is nice - although I've noticed lots of owners aren't satisfied with them and often replace the pups.

Take neither - save up and get something really good.

O... and play it before you buy it...  biggrin.gif

I totally agree with you. Neither are great guitars, I dont really like the feel of a Les Paul and, and I no that you need to pay a lot of $$$ for a good BC RICH. Not like, the 200-400$ ones.

matt smile.gif

#24 gothguitarguy999

gothguitarguy999
  • 8 posts
  • Original Name: gothguitarguy999

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

Les Paul for sure buddy... The Warlock is a decent guitar, but it comes nowhere near the same DIMENSION as the Les Paul. I played both and the LP is the better of the two bar none.

#25 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:06 PM

Unless you have over two grand BC rich is crap. The epi out of the two but a MIM strat owns them both and is cheaper.

#26 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (sot @ Jan 30 2006, 08:37 PM)
If your primary reason for buying a guitar is home defense then I would recommend getting the BC Rich, however if you want a guitar for anything else, get the epi.

P.S. Franky, haven't been on in a while and I just noticed how awesome the guitar in your sig is.  Is that a korina reissue with P90's?  If it's a reissue, what year is it?  Either way, very cool guitar.

It`s the Epiphone Popa Chubby, it`s quit old, but i am not sure about the history. The previous owner had owned it for around 5 years. I got it for a fantastic price, and it is a great sounding guitar. (it even stays on your lap whilst sitting, as it has a rubber grip on the side. biggrin.gif )

#27 BByrdman

BByrdman
  • Pip
  • 190 posts
  • Original Name: BByrdman

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

Get the Epi LP and get a MIM Strat, That's what I did....

#28 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ Jan 31 2006, 10:06 PM)
Unless you have over two grand BC rich is crap. The epi out of the two but a MIM strat owns them both and is cheaper.

You can still find some used late seventies and early eighties BC Riches for less than two grand if you look around. They may not be the super fancy ones though. I'd love to have a BC Rich Seagull because I am cool enough to appreciate them. But I wouldn't want to pay as much as most people want for them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...