#22 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:21 PM

Also, I'd like to point out that amps will affect your sound a lot more than effects.

#23 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,504 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:10 AM

The footswitch for changing channels on my amp

Just Kidding biggrin.gif
I'll say either my boss me50 multi fx or my dunlop cry baby wah

#24 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (-=FreeBird=- @ Feb 1 2006, 03:14 AM)
QUOTE (bigbadballer5523 @ Jan 31 2006, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (-=FreeBird=- @ Jan 31 2006, 09:50 PM)
I don't do effects...

what kind of amp do you have?

I'd kill just to be able to plug straight into a krank and rock out, but my peavey classic 30 can only do so much.

well I have 2 I mainly use, A laney LCR15 It's like 20 watts of tubes, and it has gain and reverb. I can get a good tone for a lot of my music out of that, but it's not good for really heavy metal, for that I use a little marshall 15 watter with lots of gain...

edit: a peavey classic 30 is probably much better than my laney, I guess it all comes down to personal taste. For me I think about all the great music that was made in the 50s 60s and even 70s with little to no effects( Skynyrd used nothing!)
Plus I've bought various pedals, ( DS1, Zoom 505II, Digitech RP60, a chorus pedal...) I have returned them all, too much hassle and money. I will probably buy a wah wah at some point soon once I get some cash coming in, but really, I'm set! I just work with my guitar and amp till I get a beautiful sweet tone.

That Laney is a nice little amp. Its the little version of mine, but with only one channel. I get a fucking awesome heavy metal tone by combining the Laney with a Wylde OD pedal. Perhaps you should try that.

#25 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (-=FreeBird=- @ Jan 31 2006, 10:14 PM)
I don't do effects...

I'd kill just to be able to plug straight into a krank and rock out, but my peavey classic 30 can only do so much.

well I have 2 I mainly use, A laney LCR15 It's like 20 watts of tubes, and it has gain and reverb. I can get a good tone for a lot of my music out of that, but it's not good for really heavy metal, for that I use a little marshall 15 watter with lots of gain...

edit: a peavey classic 30 is probably much better than my laney, I guess it all comes down to personal taste. For me I think about all the great music that was made in the 50s 60s and even 70s with little to no effects( Skynyrd used nothing!)
Plus I've bought various pedals, ( DS1, Zoom 505II, Digitech RP60, a chorus pedal...) I have returned them all, too much hassle and money. I will probably buy a wah wah at some point soon once I get some cash coming in, but really, I'm set! I just work with my guitar and amp till I get a beautiful sweet tone.

I'm kind of like you, Freebird. When I play electric I usually play clean through a tube amp on high-volume to use its natural over-drive (which is why I said a volume-pedal is my favorite "effects pedal.") Sometimes a compressor to enhance the bite and sustain, but that's about it. Once in awhile I'll use one of my old effects (my first one was that Vox Tone-Bender I bought in probably 1966, which might have been the first effects-pedal ever sold commercially. First one I ever saw anyway and the only "effect" they had in the store in those days. That old Echoplex I rarely use, it's a pain to set up and adjust the tape-loop, etc (but it is great for that old fifties heavy-duty slap-back Eddie Cochran/Duane Eddy kind of thing). But anyway, I usually play pretty clean myself. I've got an old hard-shell acoustic guitar case that's crammed full of old effects pedals I've aquired over the years but rarely if ever use any more. Last time I used one of those in that case was a couple of years ago when a young guy asked me me to play harp for a gig with his heavy-punk band and I used a flanger and distortion pedals for my harmonicas (Interesting gig... ). Generally I keep it pretty clean.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#26 HeadCuttinKing

HeadCuttinKing
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Original Name: HeadCuttinKing

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Feb 1 2006, 08:03 AM)
I don't do effects...

I'm kind of like you, Freebird. When I play electric I usually play clean through a tube amp on high-volume to use its natural over-drive (which is why I said a volume-pedal is my favorite "effects pedal.") Sometimes a compressor to enhance the bite and sustain, but that's about it. Once in awhile I'll use one of my old effects (my first one was that Vox Tone-Bender I bought in probably 1966, which might have been the first effects-pedal ever sold commercially. First one I ever saw anyway and the only "effect" they had in the store in those days. That old Echoplex I rarely use, it's a pain to set up and adjust the tape-loop, etc (but it is great for that old fifties heavy-duty slap-back Eddie Cochran/Duane Eddy kind of thing). But anyway, I usually play pretty clean myself. I've got an old hard-shell acoustic guitar case that's crammed full of old effects pedals I've aquired over the years but rarely if ever use any more. Last time I used one of those in that case was a couple of years ago when a young guy asked me me to play harp for a gig with his heavy-punk band and I used a flanger and distortion pedals for my harmonicas (Interesting gig... ). Generally I keep it pretty clean.

I dont really like effects either. The only real effect i use is an Electro Harmonix Octave Generator. Makes chords sound extremely interesting.

#27 -=FreeBird=-

-=FreeBird=-
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Original Name: -=FreeBird=-

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (mrbung1e @ Feb 1 2006, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE (-=FreeBird=- @ Feb 1 2006, 03:14 AM)
I don't do effects...

That Laney is a nice little amp. Its the little version of mine, but with only one channel. I get a fucking awesome heavy metal tone by combining the Laney with a Wylde OD pedal. Perhaps you should try that.

I might try that sometime I know a friend who has one, I might borrow it. I can't really see buying one at this point though, because I don't do much heavy metal. It is good to know I have that capability though!

QUOTE (dadfad @ Feb 1 2006, 08:03 AM)
I don't do effects...

It's funny I generally have found that sometimes I've used a bunch of effects pedals, and got something to sound cool. Then I'll turn off all those effects, turn a amp knob here and there, and it sounds ten times better than with the effects!Although I have used a compresser, that was cool. It didn't detract from my real guitar sound.

I could see myself buying a few fancy pedals if I was in a band that did that newer stuff that's being pumped onto the charts. But then again, I can never see myself in a band that plays that stuff! laugh.gif

#28 noodle69

noodle69
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Original Name: noodle69

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:15 AM

i use a line 6 pod v2 . i like the fact that it emulates different amp sounds from the eras of electric guitar , it also has a number of useful effects , with a drive knob , and ones for bass,mid ,treble , effect output ,reverb , noise gate , guitar tuner , and midi input/output .
you can also connect it to the web and download sounds into it .

it is possible to recreate ,at home , most of the sounds from 50's - present .
remember that i love you - no matter what i say

#29 redharmony

redharmony

shreddin' the blues

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts
  • Original Name: redharmony

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:20 AM

id like to hear Dadfad play a Jackson Soloist through a 5150 stack with some delay, compression, and chorus. guitar.gif

I used to shred, now I draw. 

#30 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (redharmony @ Feb 1 2006, 11:20 AM)
id like to hear Dadfad play a Jackson Soloist through a 5150 stack with some delay, compression, and chorus. guitar.gif

laugh.gif You might have to wait until I die and go to Hell! laugh.gif Now a Gibson ES-347 (minus the chorus!) (delay I can handle!) through a stack... that's different! Actually I'm doing an electric gig in a small club this weekend. The first electric gig I've done in about a year and a half. I'll be using the 347 (an ES-175 for backup), an old Vox Phantom for slide and a Mesa Boogie combo on a Marshall bottom. I haven't even really played an electric guitar since around summer before last (I'm gonna practice a little the next couple of nights before the gig.)

jacksontz.jpg

#31 -=FreeBird=-

-=FreeBird=-
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Original Name: -=FreeBird=-

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Feb 1 2006, 11:38 AM)

laugh.gif You might have to wait until I die and go to Hell! laugh.gif Now a Gibson ES-347 (minus the chorus!) (delay I can handle!) through a stack... that's different! Actually I'm doing an electric gig in a small club this weekend. The first electric gig I've done in about a year and a half. I'll be using the 347 (an ES-175 for backup), an old Vox Phantom for slide and a Mesa Boogie combo on a Marshall bottom. I haven't even really played an electric guitar since around summer before last (I'm gonna practice a little the next couple of nights before the gig.)

what kind of music are you going to do, and do you have a band playing with you?

#32 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (-=FreeBird=- @ Feb 1 2006, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (dadfad @ Feb 1 2006, 11:38 AM)

what kind of music are you going to do, and do you have a band playing with you?

Blues (mostly older-school, Chicago-style, etc). We might do it as a 3-piece or a 4-piece (Because our old co-guitarist isn't sure he can make it yet. He's trying to get out of a prior non-musical commitment to do it though). Depending on the crowd and how it feels, etc, I may (or may not) also do short acoustic country-blues solo-sets during the breaks between the band-sets. We used to play this place regularly years ago. The owner called me and asked if we'd do the gig for him for just one night as sort of a favor (although he is paying us pretty well to do it). We're all out of practice playing together, but we're good enough musicians and played together for enough years, knowing our set-lists inside-out, so that we can pull it off pretty well for three or four sets without a band-practice. I'll probably have a pretty good time. We don't often all get together as a band much any more.

jacksontz.jpg

#33 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

E-H Frequency analyzer in combination with Micro Synth.

For non pedals I like the Roland Space Echo for it's daft alien ray sounds.

#34 peterml

peterml
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Original Name: peterml

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

there`s nothing wrong with using effects, as long as you don`t overuse them and use them to cover up bad technique

Lady May
user posted image -Mark Knopfler, A true master in action

#35 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:24 PM

My favorite is the TB-1

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...