- - - - -

Favorite jazz guitarists

24 replies to this topic

#21 imadique

imadique

Betty when you call me you can call me Sal.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts
  • Original Name: imadique

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:35 AM

A couple that haven't been mentioned who are worth listening to:

Charlie Byrd, Herb Ellis and James Muller - James Muller is a god, I don't know if he's really known overseas or not, but he will be one day. Buy "Thrum" online if you want to take a chance, you'll like it. If you ever see him advertised to play near you, check it out - his gigs are amazing. I think they'd even make Misterhat feel humble.

Non guitarists:

Duke Ellington, Alister Spence, Chick Corea, Sean Wayland.
Also Bobby McFerrin is amazing.

#22 HeadCuttinKing

HeadCuttinKing
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Original Name: HeadCuttinKing

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:48 AM

John Coltrane

#23 Wes Dakota

Wes Dakota
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Original Name: Wes Dakota

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Mar 26 2006, 10:48 PM)
Wes Montgomery is one of my favs. Benson is imo a rehash of Wes, well what do you expect when Benson was taught by Wes.

Check out George Benson's early stuff. It's more blues and funky that the later releases, where he's being commercial. Listen to "Cookbook" and the CD's he recorded with Brother Jack McDuff.

#24 Abe die Spindel

Abe die Spindel
  • 8 posts
  • Original Name: Abe die Spindel

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:31 PM

People, its Pat Metheny, not Methany. And I most certainly would consider his music jazz. The term jazz is so broad, with many different music falling under it. And while his music may not sound like others, it certainly still is jazz. Other then metheny, im a fan of John Scofield, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Pat Martino, Allan Holdsworth, John Mclaughlin, and Al Di Meola, even though those last three would fall more under the fusion genre.

Edited by Abe die Spindel, 27 March 2006 - 03:34 PM.

#25 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (imadique @ Mar 27 2006, 02:35 PM)
A couple that haven't been mentioned who are worth listening to:

Charlie Byrd, Herb Ellis and James Muller - James Muller is a god, I don't know if he's really known overseas or not, but he will be one day.  Buy "Thrum" online if you want to take a chance, you'll like it.  If you ever see him advertised to play near you, check it out - his gigs are amazing. I think they'd even make Misterhat feel humble.

Non guitarists:

Duke Ellington, Alister Spence, Chick Corea, Sean Wayland.
Also Bobby McFerrin is amazing.

Since you think I might be humbled by this cat I must check him out. I hear stuff all the time by cats who can play some things I can't play. Most of the time it just gives me another reason to keep practicing and learning. Although I have been playing a long time I am still quite new to jazz.
By the way, on the few Pat Metheny records that I have listened to lately he definitely plays jazz. He even plays several standards. If you have not heard them yet you may simply have not found the right records yet.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...