#41 noodle69

noodle69
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Original Name: noodle69

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:31 AM

E#majorbb2##4sus9 is ok

but it has to be preceded by another chord and its usually good to have a chord following it to make it sound good !
remember that i love you - no matter what i say

#42 HeadCuttinKing

HeadCuttinKing
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Original Name: HeadCuttinKing

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:40 AM

A major9

#43 frantic_

frantic_
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Original Name: frantic_

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:53 AM

maybe Em mellow.gif

#44 ChrrySnbrst

ChrrySnbrst
  • 67 posts
  • Original Name: ChrrySnbrst

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:05 AM

E5.. when i turn on my amp and i give it a go with the E5.. i dont know why.. and C D G A Em the only open chords i REALLY know.

Edited by ChrrySnbrst, 24 April 2006 - 04:06 AM.

#45 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (billy16 @ Apr 24 2006, 03:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (acousticblues @ Apr 23 2006, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Billy 16: actually that 7th fret note on the B string would be an F#. so that wouldnt be another 5th, which would be an E. so i think Ninjato is correct.

Paul

I don't know what the ###### I was thinking there. I think I was thinking seventh fret to the E, but I had that a bit backwards.

I just looked at the position. the A7 position pretty much jumped out in my face and the pinky didn't sit where I would have normally played the octave minor 7th but one fret back which made it a major 6th and that's how I came up w/ A7add6

#46 Wes Dakota

Wes Dakota
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Original Name: Wes Dakota

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:34 AM

The chord at the beginning of "A Hard Day's Night". Have no idea what it is. It's probably usless in any other song. It was probably a mistake that they decided to use just for the fun of it. Or is was used because it was for a soundtrack.

Edited by Wes Dakota, 24 April 2006 - 08:59 AM.

#47 greatness7410

greatness7410
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Original Name: greatness7410

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (discostew @ Apr 23 2006, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tdintbl @ Apr 23 2006, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (discostew @ Apr 23 2006, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like G.. but with the finger beside pinky on 3rd fret of the B string... gives it a nicer ring

e|-----|-----|--X--|-----|-----|-----|
B|-----|-----|--X--|-----|-----|-----|
G|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
D|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
A|-----|--X--|-----|-----|-----|-----|
E|-----|-----|--X--|-----|-----|-----|

You've change a 3rd into a 5th when you do that. Leaves you with only 1 3rd to make it major and two 5ths which always have a big open sound. I find for whatever reason when I learn tabs of British bands they tend to this spelling whereas American bands tend to the other G with 2 3rds and 1 5th.

Exactly, but i like the sound better than a regular G, and it is easier to go straight to a D a lot faster this way.

For me, my pinky hurts without the support of my ring finger, so I always play it like that.

Edited by greatness7410, 24 April 2006 - 04:32 PM.

#48 acousticblues

acousticblues
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Original Name: acousticblues

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

well that chord i actually an A13. i usually just play an A13 like 5x678x though. but adding the E on the B string and the higher A on the E string makes it sound more full.

i didnt notice it earlier, but you dont really say 7sus6. so i think a better name for it is a 13. plus the F# is higher up thus making it the 13.

haha its fun naming and figuring out chords biggrin.gif....

but i really like Maj7, Maj9, and Minor9 chords

Paul

#49 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (acousticblues @ Apr 25 2006, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well that chord i actually an A13. i usually just play an A13 like 5x678x though. but adding the E on the B string and the higher A on the E string makes it sound more full.
but you dont really say 7sus6

I didn't say A7sus6. I said A7add6.

The reason I say it this way is due to the fact that it is easier for a guitar player to figure out what to do instead of counting outside the octave. If you subtract 7 you still get the same note and you just have to think inside one octave. Just a little easier to mentally visualize.

#50 acousticblues

acousticblues
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:21 AM

ahhh my mistake...

thats true though about nothing having to count further than the octave. it just sounds a little funny to me. oh well.

Paul

#51 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (acousticblues @ Apr 25 2006, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ahhh my mistake...

thats true though about nothing having to count further than the octave. it just sounds a little funny to me. oh well.

Paul

Check this out
http://www.guitarwee.../extensions.php

#52 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

On the A13 issue
a b c# d e f# g# a

An A13 doesn't contain the 7th A13/A6: A C# E F#

A7add6 does.... A C# E G# + F# (w/ the G# being the 7th)

Edited by ninjato, 25 April 2006 - 03:33 PM.

#53 gamecube26

gamecube26
  • 7 posts
  • Original Name: gamecube26

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

E PowerChord

#54 tape's

tape's
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Original Name: tape's

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

maybe suspended chords.

#55 acousticblues

acousticblues
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:00 PM

oh really? are you sure ninjato? cause even on that website, all the 13th chords say (not really)..hmm kinda weird.....all they give in that site is the root, third, fifth, and the upper extension.

ive always known the 13th chord to be more than 4 notes. the formula is 1-3-5-b7-9-13. and generally speaking the root, third, and seventh are the most important notes in an extended chord, along with the uppermost extension(being the 13 in this case).

hmm oh well.....

Paul

#56 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (acousticblues @ Apr 26 2006, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh really? are you sure ninjato? cause even on that website, all the 13th chords say (not really)..hmm kinda weird.....all they give in that site is the root, third, fifth, and the upper extension.

ive always known the 13th chord to be more than 4 notes. the formula is 1-3-5-b7-9-13. and generally speaking the root, third, and seventh are the most important notes in an extended chord, along with the uppermost extension(being the 13 in this case).

hmm oh well.....

Paul

I did some research and it seems to go both ways depending on who is elaborating. I think you are more correct the more I think of it.

As a general rule of thumb, open ended chords w/ 9ths, 11ths and 13ths have the b7 while the closed ended ones like 6ths are not. I will check at school today and make sure. It's been a while since I took my music theory class.

You got me curious. WHy didn't that website elaborte after saying NOT REALLY is strange.

#57 wafffle

wafffle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,580 posts
  • Original Name: springwaffle

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:41 AM

Dm

#58 acousticblues

acousticblues
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:50 AM

i think the reason why they only showed the root, third, fifth, and upper extension is because they just wanted to give the basic notes and how its related to its relative minor. like C and Am.

but yeah it does depend on who is elaborating. because a jazz guitarist could probably tell you all the different positions you could play the A13, which notes do what, how to use it in a chord progression, and then show you a scale run that you could use with it. biggrin.gif . and then someone other guitarist might have just learned of 13th chord in a particular way and wanted to use it in a song. so they might not have really cared to find out which notes make up the actual full chord. oh well.

i actually wouldve thought like you had done, how you noticed the A7 shape and then added the other note. but ever since i started to study jazz, ive looked at chords in a whole different way. you say potato i say patato. haha. well i think we should just stop with this and play some more guitar now guitar.gif

so anyways, where do you go to school? i go to a normal college now, but i would love to go to a music school and study just music. and man i think im still drooling over that L-5 and ES-345........

Paul

#59 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (acousticblues @ Apr 26 2006, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so anyways, where do you go to school? i go to a normal college now, but i would love to go to a music school and study just music. and man i think im still drooling over that L-5 and ES-345........

Paul

I go to the Community College of Philadelphia. Graduating in 2 weeks w/ an A.A. in jazz guitar performance and moving on to Temple University to get a B.S. in Music Therapy..

Edited by ninjato, 26 April 2006 - 08:07 AM.

#60 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

ACOUSTICBLUES....I think you're right:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...