'Music' thats not music

99 replies to this topic

#1 destructoet

destructoet
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Original Name: destructoet

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

Say "I" if you think that they should no longer call rap or hip hop music.

Not all (cause there has got to be a talented drummer in the lot) is bad. .00001 % is decent.

NOTE: before you hate me forever, i have posted a new opinion on the last page. sorry to all gangstas. sad.gif (sorry I had to tongue.gif)

Edited by destructoet, 02 May 2006 - 05:55 PM.

Flogging Molly

#2 Triscuit7

Triscuit7
  • 84 posts
  • Original Name: Triscuit7

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

Personally, as much as I hate rap and hip-hop, I do believe it is a form of music, and deserves at least the credit of being called music. It has a beat, rythm, and (weak) poetic form in terms of lyrics, and I guess you could call it a form of expression. As much as it hurts to say it, rap and hip-hop are music, despite your obvious lack of appreciation of it.

#3 destructoet

destructoet
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Original Name: destructoet

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

Yes you do have a point, some of the beat and rythm are pretty good, hence the drummer part, but that is still not enough to sway my oppinion. But i guess if they can get rich doing it, good for them.
Flogging Molly

#4 UFWHOA

UFWHOA
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Original Name: UFWHOA

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

music is an art, art is a form of expression and creativity. Anyone can say what they do is an art, and they could be correct even if we don't agree. It's a matter of opinion and interpretation. It's rarely ever a fact to say "that's not an art". Mainly because it depends on how you're looking at things. For instance, a guy making a pizza is not much of an art right? Well how about if you think about the time, skill, work and thoughts and standards that are put into the pizza. Even a guy writing a legal document could be considered an art, sure it's not so abstract and vividly creative as a picasso painting, but still. That's why I believe rap/hip-hop is a part of music. I don't like all songs, but there are plenty of good/great rap/hip-hop artists. Hey, even banging on a garbage can lid with a doll can be musical and artistic. I just probably wouldn't like it very much. hehe.

Edit: I think this should be in the discussion forums by the way.

Edited by UFWHOA, 01 May 2006 - 02:58 PM.

I am very prone to typos, sorry

#5 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

i hate rap with a passion but it is still music
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#6 claptonman

claptonman
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,573 posts
  • Original Name: Claptonman

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

Oh, I just love ignorance.

The rap you're thinking of is not music. But if you find some underground/old rap/hip-hop, you can find that they could be just as equal or above whatever you think is real music. Right now, MTV is pumping out all that junk, yes. I think that is not music and requires only a silly name and shiny objects.

Case in point, Dose One. Do a search on the lyrics and some of the poems he did and tell me he doesn't make music.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff." ~Frank Zappa
Leedle Leedle Leedle

#7 horn82y

horn82y

Confused and Oblivious-

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Original Name: horn82y

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:03 PM

for as much as i hate rap, which i hate it as much kids hate school, it is a FORM of music, but it isnt GOOD music

GTU has no adults..only Children who can no longer be tried as Minors...-- Major^2

#8 hopkandr

hopkandr
  • 59 posts
  • Original Name: hopkandr

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (horn82y @ May 1 2006, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for as much as i hate rap, which i hate it as much kids hate school, it is a FORM of music, but it isnt GOOD music

lol yes it is a form and i agree with the hating part. whether ppl chose to degrade themselves by listnening to it is their choice
All You Need Is Love- The Beatles

#9 greatness7410

greatness7410
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Original Name: greatness7410

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

It's music because it's treated like music. If suddenly it were treated akin to a poetry recital, it would not be music. But they listen to CDs and rap at concerts, just like any other music.

It is music because enough people consider it music.

#10 SRVfan2004

SRVfan2004
  • GZ Regular
  • 14,131 posts
  • Original Name: SRVfan2004

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

it's horrible, but it produces sounds that are orally pleasing to some peoples ears. Therefore it is music.

me screaming is music, but its just not very good music, its all unresolved and out of key.

#11 saturnine

saturnine
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • Original Name: saturnine

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (greatness7410 @ May 2 2006, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's music because it's treated like music. If suddenly it were treated akin to a poetry recital, it would not be music. But they listen to CDs and rap at concerts, just like any other music.

It is music because enough people consider it music.

That may be true to an extent. But there is still musical theory involved, so if you look at it objectivly, it has the same musical qualities you can find in jazz. It may not be as complex, but there are shared aspects, so it is music.

And as for (weak) poetic form, as someone put it. You've just been listening to bad examples of rap. There were two people in my creative writing class that wrote rap, their poems were just as poetic as anyone else, they were excellent to be honest, they just chose to take greater advantage of the rythm in their pieces than did others.

#12 Anothe ERIC CLAPTON wannabe

Anothe ERIC CLAPTON wannabe

Kevinevinevinevin

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Original Name: Anothe ERIC CLAPTON wannabe

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

I.

BTW SRVfan cool sig.

Edited by Anothe ERIC CLAPTON wannabe, 01 May 2006 - 06:23 PM.

Modern Warfare 2 is coming out. HELL YEAH

#13 improviduto

improviduto
  • Ombudsman
  • 23,447 posts
  • Original Name: improviduto

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:50 PM

Remember, just because one's not into it, doesn't mean it's not music. If this were the case, country wouldn't be music. The same goes for yodeling and free jazz.
Fender Telecaster player

#14 EXTREMEGUITAR

EXTREMEGUITAR
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Original Name: EXTREMEGUITAR

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

OK HERES THE THING WITH RAP AND HIP HOP: You cant look at it with the perspective of a true musician or guitarist. Of course its not gonna sound like Van Halen, its rap, its meant for a bunch of idiot teenagers to dance to. Nuff Said, when I hafta go to dances at least its fun gettin my groove on to rap. Try dancing to al di meola elegant gypsy?? NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Dont try to think of it as musically advanced just try to get stupid and like it. Hopefully you agree THANKS

#15 saturnine

saturnine
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • Original Name: saturnine

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (EXTREMEGUITAR @ May 2 2006, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK HERES THE THING WITH RAP AND HIP HOP: You cant look at it with the perspective of a true musician or guitarist. Of course its not gonna sound like Van Halen, its rap, its meant for a bunch of idiot teenagers to dance to.

You can look at it in terms of a true musician, if you do you will find all sorts of theory and such goes into it. And as for being meant for a bunch of idiot teenagers, that might be in the case of mainstream stuff, but not all of it is.

#16 Tuning Spork

Tuning Spork

I still have Les Paul's autograph

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts
  • Original Name: Tuning Spork

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

Of course its not gonna sound like Van Halen, its meant for a bunch of idiot teenagers to dance to.

Unlike Van Halen, who always strove for musical excellence, unpredictable cadences, and incisive, socially aware lyrics.
The "rap is not music" crowd pisses me off to no end. Listen to some.

#17 pooponabagel

pooponabagel

Head Honcho of the GTU Pirates

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Original Name: pooponabagel

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

I've gotta be honest, I don't listen to a lot of hip hop. I own "Stankonia," "The Marshall Mathers LP," and "The Chronic," and that's about it. But saying it isn't music, or going even further and saying it's not an art form is completely stupid. First of all, anything that conveys emotion is art. Good rap conveys a hell of a lot more emotion than most of the metal this board listens to. As far as if rap is music or not...music is organized sound. Rap is organized sound, therefore rap is music. Simple as that. And if you think it takes no talent to create rap, consider this...there's much more to rap than the rapper. I think the best part about rap is the rap producer, who creates all the beats and loops. It's really challenging and impressive if someone is able to do that.

And just so I'm a few steps ahead of the game, yes, electronica is music. Yes, electronica is amazing. The only kind of music fan that annoys me more than closed-minded rap hater is a closed-minded electronica hater.
Oregon rocks
IPB Image

#18 imadique

imadique

Betty when you call me you can call me Sal.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts
  • Original Name: imadique

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (UFWHOA @ May 2 2006, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. Even a guy writing a legal document could be considered an art, sure it's not so abstract and vividly creative as a picasso painting, but still.

Read a recording contract. It makes picasso look like a preschool fingerpainter.

#19 pooponabagel

pooponabagel

Head Honcho of the GTU Pirates

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Original Name: pooponabagel

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

Ooh, I almost forgot about my favorite hip-hop group! The Gorillaz! Well, they aren't really hip hop, even though they call themselves the first animated hip hop group...but whatever, they kick ass.

Any fans of trip hop? Like Massive Attack? I just listened to "Mezzanine" and it's so f***ing good.
Oregon rocks
IPB Image

#20 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,998 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Tuning Spork @ May 2 2006, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course its not gonna sound like Van Halen, its meant for a bunch of idiot teenagers to dance to.

Unlike Van Halen, who always strove for musical excellence, unpredictable cadences, and incisive, socially aware lyrics.
The "rap is not music" crowd pisses me off to no end. Listen to some.

Yup the man has it right,
I like a wide range of music, and Rap and Hip Hop is included. A huge level of ignorance is shown in this thread, by some. I suspect some folks here don`t listen to any Rap, or Hip Hop, and have only heard what has been put out on the radio. Both genres are music, and some of it is damn good.
There is a level of guitar snobbery on these forums(well what do you expect it is a guitar forum) whereas a good many folks will only consider music with guitar in it as a true form of music, and will not consider other forms of music as worthwhile listening to. Well i say get your ears on and start listening to all musical forms, there is some great music out there worthwhile listening to, guitar is not the be all and end all!!!

QUOTE (pooponabagel @ May 2 2006, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooh, I almost forgot about my favorite hip-hop group! The Gorillaz! Well, they aren't really hip hop, even though they call themselves the first animated hip hop group...but whatever, they kick ass.

Any fans of trip hop? Like Massive Attack? I just listened to "Mezzanine" and it's so f***ing good.

Yup, count me in. biggrin.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...