'Music' thats not music

99 replies to this topic

#81 destructoet

destructoet
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Original Name: destructoet

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

You guys have now swayed my opinion. Don't get me wrong i don't like the stuff, but due to all the info (i just spent like 30 minutes reading up to this point) i now am prepared to say AH HEM (cleared throat loudly) : RAP AND HIP HOP ARE FORMS OF MUSIC. (just don't expect me to ever say that again tongue.gif) This now opens me to a whole new universe of possibilities, such as ARE TWINKIES GOOD, or CAN BIRDS FLY WITH WET WINGS, and maybe even CAN HASSELHOFF ACT!!!, no wait no he cant. LOL tongue.gif anyway thank you guys for the broadening of horizons.
Flogging Molly

#82 gravitas

gravitas
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,940 posts
  • Original Name: gravitas

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:55 PM

cheers.gif

Hey, with an ass like that, who needs acting.

(No, I'm not gay. I know you were thinkin' it)

#83 pooponabagel

pooponabagel

Head Honcho of the GTU Pirates

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Original Name: pooponabagel

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (systemdelsilencio @ May 2 2006, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rap is technically not music. Music is composed of four elements: harmony, melody, rythm, and dynamics. If you know rap you'll notice one of these is lacking in rap. Lets see if you can guess which one.

Technically, you're a dumbass.
Oregon rocks
IPB Image

#84 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ May 2 2006, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I don't like it, I don't like it. Stubborn or not. I have a lot of people give me strange looks when I say bluegrass is my current favorite genre to listen to and play.

Bluegrass is the shit. I've gotten really really into it in the last year or so. I definately dig it.

QUOTE (dadfad @ May 2 2006, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Dadfad Rap...

Screeech (scritchy-scratch scritchy-scratch)

Bump-bum...

Bump-bum...

Bump-bum...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrcchhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Zhhhooooommm-a-wham-a-Bamm-Bamm.....

Hey, home-boy
Whazzup wit chew?
Dizzig that C-rap you listnin' too.
It's shizzat, its sizzad.
It ain't no good.
It's noise polution in the neighborhood.

Don't care if I try to listen intently
I still say that it ain't no Bently.
It's still jus disco, like San Francisco.
Don't care if you bread it an' fry it in Crisco.

So take sum advice from D-fad Master
Grab that Gibson or Telecaster
It's dusty, rusty, worse than musty
Like Ludwig said to ol' Tchaicovsky
So blow off the cobwebs
Don' cha hear the news
The world still rocks to the muthafukkin Blues

(Yazz yazz, indeed it does.............) wink.gif

I don't care how often I've seen that, it's hilarious every time.

#85 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,998 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (johnnynapalm @ May 3 2006, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (frankyz84 @ May 2 2006, 05:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Tuning Spork @ May 2 2006, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (EXTREMEGUITAR @ May 2 2006, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course its not gonna sound like Van Halen, its meant for a bunch of idiot teenagers to dance to.

Unlike Van Halen, who always strove for musical excellence, unpredictable cadences, and incisive, socially aware lyrics.
The "rap is not music" crowd pisses me off to no end. Listen to some.

Yup the man has it right,
I like a wide range of music, and Rap and Hip Hop is included. A huge level of ignorance is shown in this thread, by some. I suspect some folks here don`t listen to any Rap, or Hip Hop, and have only heard what has been put out on the radio. Both genres are music, and some of it is damn good.
There is a level of guitar snobbery on these forums(well what do you expect it is a guitar forum) whereas a good many folks will only consider music with guitar in it as a true form of music, and will not consider other forms of music as worthwhile listening to. Well i say get your ears on and start listening to all musical forms, there is some great music out there worthwhile listening to, guitar is not the be all and end all!!!

...except in the case of Grindcore, right?

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

As much as i can`t stand Grindcore, i don`t deny it`s musical form. And also i am still looking for something good in it. You know i always say there is good and bad in everything. so i will continue my search for something good, and worthwhile listening to. At least i am always open to suggestion, it`s just that i have not found anything worth while in the Grindcore genre. But at least i listen to a lot of it, and learn from it as well. biggrin.gif

#86 noodle69

noodle69
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Original Name: noodle69

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:18 AM

franky - its a teenage testosterone release valve - grindcore !
remember that i love you - no matter what i say

#87 tape's

tape's
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Original Name: tape's

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (noodle69 @ May 2 2006, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tape's @ May 2 2006, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

biggrin.gif, prove it.

_
But what about all the non-western music? They don't follow the rule of the fundamentals of the terminology of music and still is considered music. John Cage is a musician and his works are considered music, and that guy seriously lacks alot of elements (sometimes doesn't even have 'em) you've listed, even more than a rap music. The terminology can be used or not and in any kind of levels. Other songs which do not follow the rule it can still be qualified as being music.

But Rap, is a music that already presents harmony in instruments+voice etc. Almost ALL of rap song has all four elements man. From late 70's to rap music now, we can clearly hear all four elements working together.

Can you please tell me in which rap song you cannot hear harmony present? cos I can tell you some guitar solos which doesn't have harmony.

I always thought and told that Hip-hop is a culture, a way of life and "Rap" was the music that comes from that culture.

Which artists are "hip-hop"?

are you asking me to prove that rap is music ?

the proof is in the sales . under rap music .

western music does not follow the fundamentals of non-western music , does it ?
especially as it only has 12 notes and very little use of microtones .
i didnt list anything about music , you've mixed me up with someone else here !

no i cant tell you which rap songs contain no harmony , but why would the all 'important' guitar solo need harmony , when it usually IS harmony !
hip hop and rap are both street music , coming from the direction that blues came from !

rap is for the expression of the voice , street poetry !

hip hop is dance based music containing lots of breakbeats ! so you got that the wrong way round !

dont know why you think i need to prove anything to you , or you accuse me of making terminology for music .

chill the f*k out dude biggrin.gif
i was asking the poster above to prove himself/herself.
read my post, i agree with you.

#88 tape's

tape's
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Original Name: tape's

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:03 AM

laugh.gif

As much as i can`t stand Grindcore, i don`t deny it`s musical form. And also i am still looking for something good in it. You know i always say there is good and bad in everything. so i will continue my search for something good, and worthwhile listening to. At least i am always open to suggestion, it`s just that i have not found anything worth while in the Grindcore genre. But at least i listen to a lot of it, and learn from it as well. biggrin.gif

The only Grindcore band i know of is Cephalic Carnage, listen to Lucid Interval and Redundant. They have Jazz elements to them, but don't expect Wes Montgomery type of sound tongue.gif.

Also The Dillinger Escape Plan's Panasonic Youth is pretty good. They sound like Mr. Bungle but with more power and dexterious instrumental works.

#89 HeadCuttinKing

HeadCuttinKing
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Original Name: HeadCuttinKing

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:22 AM

Razp is good
but the rap you all are probably talking about is ######.
Mainstream rap is all about escelades and stupid ###### on your teeth and how many women and cigar smoke you can fit into a wideshot.
Thats a bunch of ######. Its isnt about anything.

Go listen to some underground street poetry or some old Wu-Tang. Theres rap thats about somthing.

Mainstream rap has one purpose; somthing to shake your ass too. Concordantly, the lyrics and general song quality fall victim to the interchangeable per-programmed drum loops.

Rap, real rap and not this fake ass mainstream bull###### is very good.

QUOTE (tape's @ May 3 2006, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif

The only Grindcore band i know of is Cephalic Carnage, listen to Lucid Interval and Redundant. They have Jazz elements to them, but don't expect Wes Montgomery type of sound tongue.gif.

Also The Dillinger Escape Plan's Panasonic Youth is pretty good. They sound like Mr. Bungle but with more power and dexterious instrumental works.

Dillenger is one of the few Grind bands i can listen to and enjoy. I find that most grind just sounds like a bunch of tremolo picked nonsensical jargon, but dillenger sound like they actually know what notes theyre playing.

#90 Irenic Retral

Irenic Retral
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Original Name: Irenic Retral

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ May 2 2006, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Similar things have been around for a long time. There was a tradition in the old Negroe communities called "Toasters" (very similar to what came to be called "The Dozens") where it was almost a competition to stand up in a bar or party and give a rhyming toast. These "toasts" became very long, often lasting ten or fifteen minutes, telling stories, or whatever. I used to have an extensive collection of toasters I'd compliled from old black men. My favorite was "The Monkey and the Baboon" which was a long story about the meeting of a pool-shark monkey and a card-shark baboon at an animal's after-hours club. There even developed "characters" used and re-used and found commonly in several, like "Shine" or "Dyn-o-mite" who were able to out-smart "the man" or whatever. Often the lyrics were violent and obscene, but almost always funny. The tradition developed far beyond the "yo mamma..." toasts that started it. The term "the dozens" refers to a simplified and shortened version of Toasters, where only twelve rhyming lines were used. So an extremely similar tradition existed long before the "c-rap gangsta" came on the scene.

The white culture had a similar (if not differently directed) tradition, developing in the old beatnik "beat" generation, where poetry was recited to the beat of bogo drums, or with a small combo, sometimes only a bass, or a bass and flute or sax, being played behind it to emphasise its lines, word and rhythms. This is the tradition where Dylan's "Subteranean Homesick Blues" came from.

So rap isn't new. Just a new face on an old theme. However, same as with the Toasters or the Beat-Poetry mentioned above, it isn't really music just because it has little snippets or samples of music in the back-ground going on. To most cultural-ethno anthropologists, it's an oral-thing, not a music-thing.

I have to completely agree with my dad.

B.B. King

Grateful Dead

#91 claptonman

claptonman
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,573 posts
  • Original Name: Claptonman

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

blink.gif Are you really his dad?

When I get home, I'll get a couple of good hip-hop songs up on soundclick for all of you.
Leedle Leedle Leedle

#92 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,106 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Claptonman @ May 3 2006, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blink.gif Are you really his dad?

blink.gif Ummm...errr.... (Dadfad tries to remember what he was doing back in August of 1987...) I don't think so...

laugh.gif

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#93 claptonman

claptonman
  • GZ Regular
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:28 PM

Here is Atmosphere's song "Reflections." If anybody wants more of this artist, I can send you some through MSN. I'll post more to the soundclick later.

http://www.soundclick.com/ghh
Leedle Leedle Leedle

#94 gravitas

gravitas
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,940 posts
  • Original Name: gravitas

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Claptonman @ May 3 2006, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is Atmosphere's song "Reflections." If anybody wants more of this artist, I can send you some through MSN. I'll post more to the soundclick later.

Brilliant idea. Kill them with kindness.

Check out Mr K-os, too, hmm?

http://www.k-osmusic...anIusedtobe.asp

#95 claptonman

claptonman
  • GZ Regular
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (gravitas @ May 3 2006, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Claptonman @ May 3 2006, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brilliant idea. Kill them with kindness.

Check out Mr K-os, too, hmm?

http://www.k-osmusic...anIusedtobe.asp

Not working, but I'll check him out on amazon.

yesani.gif Me like that song.

Edited by Claptonman, 03 May 2006 - 12:39 PM.

Leedle Leedle Leedle

#96 bigbadballer5523

bigbadballer5523
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Original Name: bigbadballer5523

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

Have they found manbearpig yet? I've been worried about it getting me for a week now.

#97 jeffw

jeffw

SDGDSGDSDSGSDG

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Original Name: jeffw

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (bigbadballer5523 @ May 3 2006, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have they found manbearpig yet? I've been worried about it getting me for a week now.

Are you super serial??!

-J
2461461437745777457J BLJ34 H-GT4U81 TH-689V1TN38JT13- TY19YN-2R1YR-2-T23-41 6ZXSTN36BHTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#98 john_p12

john_p12
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Original Name: john_p12

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

i wonder if the rap forums trash us as much as we trash them.
IPB Image
noalarmsandnosurprisesplease

#99 bigbadballer5523

bigbadballer5523
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Original Name: bigbadballer5523

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (jeffw @ May 3 2006, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (bigbadballer5523 @ May 3 2006, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you super serial??!

-J

oh I'm super, DUPER serial.

#100 COBHC

COBHC
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Original Name: COBHC

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

Banging on rocks is a form of music.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...