48 replies to this topic

#21 COBHC

COBHC
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Original Name: COBHC

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (kooldood1 @ May 29 2006, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who cares if its eruption. I mean yeah its a great piece of music by a great guitarist but being able to play eruption doesnt make you good.

Yes it does.

#22 jeffw

jeffw

SDGDSGDSDSGSDG

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Original Name: jeffw

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (COBHC @ May 29 2006, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes it does.

I do agree. Sure, he didn't make it up on the spot, or improvise, or anything even close. But think about the skill, time, and practice it takes to play a memorized piece of music, and execute it as well as he did.

It takes a lot of dedication, and he did it.

-J
2461461437745777457J BLJ34 H-GT4U81 TH-689V1TN38JT13- TY19YN-2R1YR-2-T23-41 6ZXSTN36BHTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#23 in_repair

in_repair

I'm taking off my pants, and I'm going to jacket.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Location:A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
  • Original Name: in_repair

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (guitarfreak111 @ May 29 2006, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

It's all relative, though. Compared to most 13 year olds who practice, it's average. Compared to most 13 year olds, i'd say it's impressive. I hate these kind of debates where people argue over whether it's impressive or not. That's cool that the kid even digs playing the guitar.

Exactly. If a 13 year old kid wants to learn to play guitar, I say go for it. If a 13 year old kid can play eruption, all the better for him.

Edited by in_repair, 29 May 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Threadless.com: SIIIICK t-shirts. Seriously.

"Even if it's a fake name, like Johnny McSmilies." -Rob
"Johnny McSmilies is a boss name." -Jiveturkey
"I tried setting my hotmail password to penis. I was then told that it wasn't long enough." -Nealmac
"I am spam." -The Major

#24 GuitarPlayer_heavymetal

GuitarPlayer_heavymetal
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Original Name: GuitarPlayer_heavymetal

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:01 PM

i know a 13 year old that could shred his head off.aint bad though,few mistakes but who cares....when i was 13 i was more into bluesy solos but i bet ya i could play it if i worked on it.

#25 ride85

ride85

Nath

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • Original Name: ride85

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:37 AM

technically for 13 it's pretty impressive but i would have been way more impressed to see anything other then that played with excellent technique. like comfortably numb or something like that. i compare sloppy shredding to bad drivers in a fast car.
www.myspace.com/nath85

#26 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,510 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (kooldood1 @ May 29 2006, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why do people think play sloppily really fast makes you a guitar god?

I never said he was a guitar God. All I said was that for a 13 year old kid he's quite good.

QUOTE (guitarfreak111 @ May 29 2006, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate these kind of debates where people argue

That's why we start debates. To cause arguments.

QUOTE (count crunkula @ May 29 2006, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sweet night light.
i've never heard that song before, and it's been mentioned alot, and i have to say i cant see how it would sound good no matter who plays it. didn't seem to have much tune to it.

I can't believe you never heard Eruption by Van Halen. It's not really a song as such. It's a 1min 30sec (approx) solo instrumental. It sounds impressive but people see it as a cliché. I can send you the MP3 if you want a listen.

#27 EVH-Player

EVH-Player
  • 10 posts
  • Original Name: EVH-Player

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

tongue.gif Sounds well for a 13 y/o, couple mistakes tongue.gif

Edited by EVH-Player, 03 June 2006 - 07:06 AM.

#28 Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Circus Animal

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Original Name: Crawdaddy

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (guitarfreak111 @ May 30 2006, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jiveturkey @ May 29 2006, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hadn't even touched a guitar at 13, so he's way ahead of me already.

laugh.gif

It's all relative, though. Compared to most 13 year olds who practice, it's average. Compared to most 13 year olds, i'd say it's impressive. I hate these kind of debates where people argue over whether it's impressive or not. That's cool that the kid even digs playing the guitar.

Well said.
SoundClick
--------------------

#29 nate.

nate.

Ay, yo, this rap is like ziti.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,546 posts
  • Original Name: Nater11

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (nealmac @ May 30 2006, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kooldood1 @ May 29 2006, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why do people think play sloppily really fast makes you a guitar god?

I never said he was a guitar God. All I said was that for a 13 year old kid he's quite good.

QUOTE (guitarfreak111 @ May 29 2006, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate these kind of debates where people argue

That's why we start debates. To cause arguments.

QUOTE (count crunkula @ May 29 2006, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sweet night light.
i've never heard that song before, and it's been mentioned alot, and i have to say i cant see how it would sound good no matter who plays it. didn't seem to have much tune to it.

I can't believe you never heard Eruption by Van Halen. It's not really a song as such. It's a 1min 30sec (approx) solo instrumental. It sounds impressive but people see it as a cliché. I can send you the MP3 if you want a listen.

word. me too. never been a big fan of Van Halen. dont get me wrong, i have nothing against them. its just not my bag.

i liked it though. very cool

0e5efacb-b8f0-4d66-9f87-bd9292db5751_zps

Harry Allen on you bitch, I believe no hype.

#30 ApoXonFire

ApoXonFire
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Original Name: ApoXonFire

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ May 29 2006, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it does'nt matter how old you are. It matters how long you've been playing. If he's been playing since he was 9 it's not such a big deal. Now if he started when he was 12 yeah, then it's something to brag about.

I disagree. Age doesn't matter and time doesn't matter(being reasonable). That was HORRIBLE but I'm starting to expect that from guitar players these days. The only time I ever see guitar players even close to being easy on the ears is at the guitar store.

I have taken into account that he is 13, but even though, he should have realised that sounded like ###### and that he needs to practice it more.

I'd have to say that being a good guitar player is about realising what sounds good. It doesn't matter if you can "almost" play something if you butcher it along the way.

#31 kooldood1

kooldood1

the love is not enough

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts
  • Original Name: kooldood1

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (ApoXonFire @ Jun 4 2006, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ May 29 2006, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it does'nt matter how old you are. It matters how long you've been playing. If he's been playing since he was 9 it's not such a big deal. Now if he started when he was 12 yeah, then it's something to brag about.

I disagree. Age doesn't matter and time doesn't matter(being reasonable). That was HORRIBLE but I'm starting to expect that from guitar players these days. The only time I ever see guitar players even close to being easy on the ears is at the guitar store.

I have taken into account that he is 13, but even though, he should have realised that sounded like ###### and that he needs to practice it more.

I'd have to say that being a good guitar player is about realising what sounds good. It doesn't matter if you can "almost" play something if you butcher it along the way.

I agree with that. People think that if you can almost play it thats just as good as playing it perfect. And i also notice that beginners start out learning songs like eruption which to me isnt a good thing to start with. I think to be a good lead guitarist you need to be a good rhythm guitarist and that being a good rhythm guitarist is essential to any style of music and playing.

#32 blackened10

blackened10
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Original Name: blackened10

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (GuitarPlayer_heavymetal @ May 29 2006, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i know a 13 year old that could shred his head off.aint bad though,few mistakes but who cares....when i was 13 i was more into bluesy solos but i bet ya i could play it if i worked on it.

o...so you have heard of me before??
just kidding you guys...sorry i had to do it.

...the cat went to rehab

#33 billy16

billy16
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • Original Name: billy16

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:24 PM

So Van Halen does eruption. I'd always heard about that song.

#34 EXTREMEGUITAR

EXTREMEGUITAR
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Original Name: EXTREMEGUITAR

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

I honestly dont know what to say to anyone that thinks that this is even a "decent attempt". Its completely rediculous, anyone can play random notes as fast as they can, my only question is how are the people in the audience going to mop up the blood that is pouring out of their ears from hearing this "performance".

#35 nate.

nate.

• GZ Regular
  • 14,546 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (EXTREMEGUITAR @ Jun 4 2006, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly dont know what to say to anyone that thinks that this is even a "decent attempt". Its completely rediculous, anyone can play random notes as fast as they can, my only question is how are the people in the audience going to mop up the blood that is pouring out of their ears from hearing this "performance".

are you listening to the same thing i'm listening to? its by no means perfect and not note for note how eddie plays it, but come on. it certainly is not "rediculous". i'd say he did a damn fine job. when your were 13(and most likely younger) would you have the patience and dedication to learn such a complex piece? doubt it.

random notes... think about that for a minute... so is that what eddie did when playing it? played random notes? i would say in most cases, for some one to want pick out a song like this with no prior knowledge of music theory would be very unlikely. im sure he had an idea of what he was getting himself into before to learning it, and i bet he knew what notes to play from what scales.

do something for me. pick up a guitar and play random notes from around the 12th fret and up. how do these "random" notes sound? not too good, eh?

the "blood that is pouring out of their ears"... what are we, 4?

and the "performance" thing. something doesnt have to be good to be a performance. ever been to a crappy show, and thought "wow that sucked". but its still a performance good or bad.

(sorry to discuss so much in the Q n A forum)

#36 nate.

nate.

• GZ Regular
  • 14,546 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

sweet Lincolns mullet! triple post.

sorry

Edited by Nater11, 03 June 2006 - 10:16 PM.

#37 nate.

nate.

• GZ Regular
  • 14,546 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

beard of Zeus! triple post

Edited by Nater11, 03 June 2006 - 10:15 PM.

#38 Archaikz

Archaikz
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Original Name: Archaikz

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

yea i actually thought it was fairly accurate and pretty good. you must have listened to eruption backwards cause it sounded ok to me. and yea maybe something was off but thats the beauty of live. how did he know that he was gonna mess up. seriously. give me a break.

#39 ApoXonFire

ApoXonFire
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Original Name: ApoXonFire

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (Nater11 @ Jun 4 2006, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

are you listening to the same thing i'm listening to? its by no means perfect and not note for note how eddie plays it, but come on. it certainly is not "rediculous". i'd say he did a damn fine job. when your were 13(and most likely younger) would you have the patience and dedication to learn such a complex piece? doubt it.

random notes... think about that for a minute... so is that what eddie did when playing it? played random notes? i would say in most cases, for some one to want pick out a song like this with no prior knowledge of music theory would be very unlikely. im sure he had an idea of what he was getting himself into before to learning it, and i bet he knew what notes to play from what scales.

do something for me. pick up a guitar and play random notes from around the 12th fret and up. how do these "random" notes sound? not too good, eh?

and the "performance" thing. something doesnt have to be good to be a performance. ever been to a crappy show, and thought "wow that sucked". but its still a performance good or bad.

Age doesn't matter man, how many times must you be told? The main thing that matters is your passion for guitar. Now, that kid may have some passion, but he doesn't have the brains(or teacher) to go along with it. He tried to swim the deep-end before he could doggy paddle. He just set himself up for an army of bad habits that hes going to either

A) Have to fix years later because he realises he is not playing like he should.

or

cool.gif Quit because his playing is ######.

#40 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Original Name: guru of rock n roll

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (ApoXonFire @ Jun 4 2006, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Nater11 @ Jun 4 2006, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you listening to the same thing i'm listening to? its by no means perfect and not note for note how eddie plays it, but come on. it certainly is not "rediculous". i'd say he did a damn fine job. when your were 13(and most likely younger) would you have the patience and dedication to learn such a complex piece? doubt it.

Age doesn't matter man, how many times must you be told? The main thing that matters is your passion for guitar. Now, that kid may have some passion, but he doesn't have the brains(or teacher) to go along with it. He tried to swim the deep-end before he could doggy paddle. He just set himself up for an army of bad habits that hes going to either

A) Have to fix years later because he realises he is not playing like he should.

or

cool.gif Quit because his playing is ######.

are you any good?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...