Paul GeremiaFor those into fine fingerstyle country-blues and related styles

45 replies to this topic

#21 rayvon87

rayvon87
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Original Name: rayvon87

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:03 AM

Cool. I've been practising the chords over and over and I'm almost fluent with the changes (but that C6aug5 is still killing me! XD ).

One thing I noticed though, I think it'd be easier if you held the first chord with the middle and ring fingers because then you don't have to move your middle finger for the next 2 chords. But, then, I guess it's all preference. smile.gif

Edited by rayvon87, 18 June 2006 - 04:06 AM.

IPB Image
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P.

#22 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (rayvon87 @ Jun 18 2006, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool. I've been practising the chords over and over and I'm almost fluent with the changes (but that C6aug5 is still killing me! XD ).

One thing I noticed though, I think it'd be easier if you held the first chord with the middle and ring fingers because then you don't have to move your middle finger for the next 2 chords. But, then, I guess it's all preference. smile.gif

Yes, I actually hold it both ways (whichever way just "happens"). Yeah, that C6aug was tough (still is, although I now have about a 75%+ "hit-ratio" when I go to it! laugh.gif ). I JUST found a chord I like (in the B section) that's a monster. Not really super-hard, but waaaaaaaay unusual. It's Caug5 (I think) and it goes in the position where the C6aug5 would be. I don't think it's what he used (because I would have noticed if Paul did it for sure!). You know how that first C6aug is a bit tough because of the two-strings with one finger thing? In the area between the 8th and 11th frets there's a Caug he uses, which isn't too tough (although that original C6aug can be used there as well). Anyway... I've found that I like a hi-C note in there on the 6th-string as well. In order to hold it, you would need to again hold a 2/3 pair of strings cleanly with one finger tip. It was hard enough to do it on the first fret, but I've found it virtually impossible on the 9th-fret (because of the wider string-spacing plus higher action that far up the neck). So I tried every concievable way to try to hold what I wanted (which was a X 11 10 9 9 8). The only way I could do it (the unusual part) was to use the thumb ON THE 1ST STRING!!!! (Held OPRMIT!) I'd never done it before. It was totally foreign feeling at first, using the thumb on the "wrong" side of the neck (as I held the neck gripped between my palm and the other fretting fingers, my thumb sort of angled-in approaching the 8th fret from behind, holding it with sort of the side of my thumb. The funny part is, after messing with it for about a half hour, I actually found it getting easy to do!!! Anyway, I'll try to get these done today, or tomorrow at the latest. (And maybe even be brave enough to do a SoundClick of it, although there's no way I have this tune down well enough where I would play it in front of an audience (unless I just omitted the B section and sort of "winged it" through several rounds of Section A with a Section C maybe).

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#23 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

Okay, here's a preliminary list of the chords and frags I used. This is not checked for typo's or anything yet, which I will do and adding fingerings that I used, etc. I just hastily posted this now so whoever wanted to could start messing around with it. Anyway... Later!

CODE
(PART A)++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

002210 (002010)

0323010 (adding notes -0--1--0-- on the 1st-string)

103200 (or 101200)

002210 to 002203 to 002213 to 0020100

103210 (XXXX3X XXXXX0 XXXX1X)

2XX21X (2XX23X)

3X0013 to 320003

(start next progression, either Part A or B)

(PART B)+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

8 0 10 9 8 7

(pick one!) X32110, or X X 10 9 9 8, or (VERY WEIRD!!!) X 11 10 9 9 8

X X 10 9 10 8, or XX2010

X X 8 10 9 11 (don't forget the hammer-on (etc) stuff starting --8h9-- on the 3-string)

X33555

XX33535, or X X 10 9 10 X

X 8 10 8 10 8

X 7 9 7 10 7 to X79797

(and into Part C)

(PART C)++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

X04530

320003, to 320013, and to 320003

...and that's it. Back to 032000 to start the
first progression Part A over again.

jacksontz.jpg

#24 rayvon87

rayvon87
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for that, dadfad. I think I'm going to stick with the XX10998, I couldn't quite get the X1110998 XD. (Curse my small hands! tongue.gif).

I think a SoundClick would be realy helpful, especially if it was a bit slower or simpler. But only if you're feeling brave enough. biggrin.gif

I'll get onto practising those chords ASAP. (I'm also working on a PowerTab, but it's a bit slow going...)
IPB Image
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P.

#25 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:55 AM

I'll do a SoundClick, BUT with the following disclaimer! laugh.gif

I'll use those chords and frags as I've given them above (and I think they are fairly accurate), but I don't try to hit each note exactly as Paul did it. First, I'm not good enough anyway even if I wanted to! laugh.gif I just sort of improvise what I think are pleasing notes as I move through the progressions in those positions. Above in some places I gave several "options" where I thought it could be one of several ways, or where I think he might have used a different position or slightly different voicing in the next round, or even where it might be a bit easier to use one in place of another. Also, I don't have this tune "down" (as in perfected to a point where I would even think of doing it in front of anyone at anymore than a very informal get-together with friends or something.). If I ever do, it'll not be as perfectly executed as his, probably about 2/3 as many notes as he used (if I'm lucky!). Those chords/holding-positions above aren't meant to necessarily be used as full or exact chords. They're merely the positions that I aim for from which to work around. In some places I could have just as easily called a slightly different fingering position, etc. I think you know what I mean... I could start in that place holding fingering-x and move into fingering-y, or vice versa, start in y and move into x. So I just noted a good place to go to from which to start.

Anyway, now that I've covered every excuse I can think of for doing a pretty mediocre recording laugh.gif , I'll try to get one onto a Sound Click today or tomorrow.

jacksontz.jpg

#26 MakoMako

MakoMako

It's my power animal...

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Original Name: MakoMako

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

These are phenominal DADFAD. This is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for. I've had alot of trouble trying to find a sort of blues I could really get in to, but this is just wonderful. Thank you so much.

Cheers.

#27 rayvon87

rayvon87
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Jun 20 2006, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll do a SoundClick, BUT with the following disclaimer! laugh.gif

I'll use those chords and frags as I've given them above (and I think they are fairly accurate), but I don't try to hit each note exactly as Paul did it. First, I'm not good enough anyway even if I wanted to! laugh.gif I just sort of improvise what I think are pleasing notes as I move through the progressions in those positions. Above in some places I gave several "options" where I thought it could be one of several ways, or where I think he might have used a different position or slightly different voicing in the next round, or even where it might be a bit easier to use one in place of another. Also, I don't have this tune "down" (as in perfected to a point where I would even think of doing it in front of anyone at anymore than a very informal get-together with friends or something.). If I ever do, it'll not be as perfectly executed as his, probably about 2/3 as many notes as he used (if I'm lucky!). Those chords/holding-positions above aren't meant to necessarily be used as full or exact chords. They're merely the positions that I aim for from which to work around. In some places I could have just as easily called a slightly different fingering position, etc. I think you know what I mean... I could start in that place holding fingering-x and move into fingering-y, or vice versa, start in y and move into x. So I just noted a good place to go to from which to start.

Anyway, now that I've covered every excuse I can think of for doing a pretty mediocre recording laugh.gif , I'll try to get one onto a Sound Click today or tomorrow.

That's all fine with me.
Frankly, I think you have too little faith in your own skills. I'm sure you can pull it off pretty nicely. biggrin.gif
Looking forward to it.
IPB Image
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P.

#28 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

Mako, I'm glad you like his tunes. He's really the best there is at taking old tunes and dusting them off a little bit, as well as applying all the great old-time styles and techniques to new tunes of his own. Glad you found some stuff you can get into. (Oh, by the way. I see you're from Bridgeport. Next month I'm going to be in Elkins for a few days. Is that very far from you? Maybe we could get together for an hour or two and pick a little if it works out.)

Well, Rayvon, you asked for it! I did a round of the entire tune in my own inimitably mediocre way... one round through the tune covering all three of the sections, and then another round where I played it much slower as I went through the chord-changes and things. It's not identical to the first round as I improvised them both slightly differently of course as I played. I hope it helps a little. Anyway, here's the link to it, which I call The Holly-Cost...

(Be kind! laugh.gif )

jacksontz.jpg

#29 MakoMako

MakoMako

It's my power animal...

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Jun 22 2006, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mako, I'm glad you like his tunes. He's really the best there is at taking old tunes and dusting them off a little bit, as well as applying all the great old-time styles and techniques to new tunes of his own. Glad you found some stuff you can get into. (Oh, by the way. I see you're from Bridgeport. Next month I'm going to be in Elkins for a few days. Is that very far from you? Maybe we could get together for an hour or two and pick a little if it works out.)

That would be awsome DADFAD. I think I should be around. If you can give me the dates that you're gonna be in town I could try and get up with you. I go to Elkins for soccer games now and again, so it's probably only 45min. tops. I'll have to give you fair warning that I'm 16, and probably no where near your skill, so you shouldn't get your hopes up on me. But I'd love to jam with you if I'm in town.

#30 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (MakoMako @ Jun 22 2006, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be awsome DADFAD. I think I should be around. If you can give me the dates that you're gonna be in town I could try and get up with you. I go to Elkins for soccer games now and again, so it's probably only 45min. tops. I'll have to give you fair warning that I'm 16, and probably no where near your skill, so you shouldn't get your hopes up on me. But I'd love to jam with you if I'm in town.

laugh.gif Mako, when I was sixteen I couldn't play worth a shit (and I'm not all that much better now! noani.gif ) (Just a different repertoire! laugh.gif ). Anyway, it's gonna be around the week of the sixteenth. If it works out, cool.

jacksontz.jpg

#31 MakoMako

MakoMako

It's my power animal...

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Jun 22 2006, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (MakoMako @ Jun 22 2006, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif Mako, when I was sixteen I couldn't play worth a shit (and I'm not all that much better now! noani.gif ) (Just a different repertoire! laugh.gif ). Anyway, it's gonna be around the week of the sixteenth. If it works out, cool.

I'm assuming the 16th of July. I'm gonna have to look at a couple of things. Although I think it'd be cool to be able to jam with someone with your experience. There's no one who enjoys just sittin' down and pickin' a string or two in this town. They all wanna go to Punk Rock concerts and watch people play as opposed to doing it themselves. noani.gif

#32 rayvon87

rayvon87
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (MakoMako)
There's no one who enjoys just sittin' down and pickin' a string or two in this town. They all wanna go to Punk Rock concerts and watch people play as opposed to doing it themselves.
That's like this place, it's all punk rock and emo stuff...sad.gif It'd be great to be able to jam with someone who actually appreciates good music. I bet you'd learn heaps from dadfad even if it is only 45mins.

QUOTE (dadfad)
Well, Rayvon, you asked for it! I did a round of the entire tune in my own inimitably mediocre way... one round through the tune covering all three of the sections, and then another round where I played it much slower as I went through the chord-changes and things. It's not identical to the first round as I improvised them both slightly differently of course as I played. I hope it helps a little. Anyway, here's the link to it, which I call The Holly-Cost...
Thanks so much. This is extremely helpful and will greatly aid my learning of this great tune. I told ya' you could pull it off pretty respectably. wink.gif
IPB Image
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P.

#33 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Rayvon. I hope it helps a little. Maybe someday I'll have that tune down okay. I really need to work on it though, that second-section especially. It really sounds pretty thin. Probably because it's slightly "jazz-ish" as opposed to more regular fingerstyle in the way that it's played and it's not the kind of stuff I normally play that much. Anyway, I hope it helps a little. It's a great tune.

Mako, I'll be getting into Elkins late in the afternoon of the 16th (a Sunday) and be leaving probably late Friday (21st) or very early Saturday morning. I think I'm gonna do a guitar workshop there with Steve James. Steve's an asshole a lot of times but he's also pretty good and I might learn something. And just hang out with a few friends and pick and party a little (Elkins, actually Davis and Elkins College, will be having the Augusta Heritage Arts festival going on and so there'll be a lot of good blues and swing guitarists hanging out. As well as some of those guys who come down from the hills that you never heard of but can kick major-ass on a guitar or a banjo or a fiddle and play until dawn (or the 'shine runs out, whichever comes first! laugh.gif ) so it'll be a pretty "happening" kind of atmosphere there). Then I'm gonna take off to Virginia and pay my respects to John Jackson's grave and maybe visit a friend or two before I head home. So anyway, if it works out let me know.

Also, to anybody who wants those tunes of Paul's on I put up on Sound Click, I'll be taking them down in a couple of days so get 'em if ya want 'em!

jacksontz.jpg

#34 grzegorz_panek

grzegorz_panek
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • Original Name: grzegorz_panek

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:11 AM

Thanks, John!

Paul Geremia is obviously amazing.

I first listened, and then read your post... When I heard these tunes I thought John retired and turned into an ultimate guitar god, practicing all day. laugh.gif

But I see you made some very good records too. Glad to see (and hear) that. Thanks gain! smile.gif
"Grzeg (...) spending years in the Vistula River Delta picking Miss Takamine with a bottle-neck on his finger!)" - Dadfad
IPB Image
New track - Mister Sandman

#35 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:14 AM

Glad you liked them, Grezg (Glad to see you back at GTU too!). Haha! There's no mistaking Paul's playing with mine (except in my dreams!). He's so good there's no way I could possibly catch up to his skill. (There's a little blurb about him on my GTU-profile web-page.) He's been so good for so long. For example, a couple of those tunes on Sound Click of his... Long Tall Mama and Careless Love... he recorded when he was in his early twenties and he's (I think) fifty-nine now, and he's only gotten more skilled over the years. But I try... (we all need an "impossible dream" to strive for laugh.gif ). Anyway, I'm glad you liked them and it's good to see you back. biggrin.gif

jacksontz.jpg

#36 grzeg

grzeg
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Original Name: grzeg

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

And now... I'm going to see him live on saturday. This year at Rawa Blues Festival in Katowice we'll hear Roy Rogers, Nora Jean Bruso and him... as well as a bunch of homegrown bands.

Obviously, I'm anxious to listen to Paul Geremia first of all.

It's going to be a great weekend for me. smile.gif
IPB Image
Takhead's back
my old soundclick

#37 Nintendo Freak

Nintendo Freak
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Original Name: Nintendo Freak

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:35 AM

Ok, this is off topic, but I just wanted to know: what kind of Gibson's do you have dadfad?

Bon Scott. Ultimate Frontman. Ultimate Man.

#38 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:38 AM

That's great, Grzeg. I'm glad you'll have a chance to see him live. Hopefully he'll be in good form (he usually is!) and you'll enjoy his performance. But I'm sure you will. His fingerstyle is as good as it gets! I've seen Roy Rogers before too several times and while he's more of an electric-guy, he's still an excellent slide guitarist. It sounds like a great time. And be sure to report back to us all!

jacksontz.jpg

#39 rayvon87

rayvon87
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

A person I know on another forum goes to a club with an Open-Mic which is frequented by Mr. Geremia. He asked him if it was OK to video him, and he said it was, and now I have a video of PG playin 'Kind-Hearted Woman' and another song which I don't know the name, but it sounds really good. His playing is, as expected, flawless.

It's the closest thing to seeing him live that I've got and it's brilliant, especially in that setting where it's just him, his guitar, 2 mics and a stool in a corner, with pictures on the walls.

The person I know also asked if he'd play 'Holly', but he said said that he wasn't feeling up to it. XD
IPB Image
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P.

#40 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (Nintendo Freak @ Oct 4 2006, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, this is off topic, but I just wanted to know: what kind of Gibson's do you have dadfad?

Actually I have several Gibsons, but my main Gibson acoustic is a 1934 "The Jumbo" which I think is probably the finest acoustic guitar ever produced for the styles of music I'm into (and quite a few people into the same styles agree). Nothing I've ever played or heard can touch it as far as tone and the amount of pure power it can put out. (Actually, I almost feel guilty owning it. It deserves to be owned by someone like Paul who can do it justice. You should hear it when he plays it.) My number-two is... actually I'd say I have two number-two Gibsons because they're a little different. I have a 1949 J-45, which is similar in size and feel to my 1934 with similar tone, etc. (It used to be my number-one for many years before I found the '34 ten or fifteen years ago and is more like a "back-up" to that one. For example when I've travelled by air I'd never take the almost irreplaceable '34 so I take the J-45.) And also I have 1930 Gibson L-1. A tremendous guitar, smaller bodied than the Jumbos (1934 was the first year a jumbo-sized guitar was ever made). For that true old-timey sound, like Robert Johnson, Bo Carter, Tommy Johnson, etc it sounds perfect. Again, great tone and a lot of power, but a bit different sound and feel to the larger-bodied jumbos. Both of those I'd consider my number-twos in different ways. Thanks for asking.

Rayvon, I'm glad you at least got to see a video of him playing a bit. Does your friend live in Rhode Island?

jacksontz.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...