Matt

#42 rayvon87

rayvon87
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Original Name: rayvon87

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (dadfad)
Rayvon, I'm glad you at least got to see a video of him playing a bit. Does your friend live in Rhode Island?
I'm not actually sure where he lives, he's just said that PG goes to this club fairly often.
IPB Image
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P.

#43 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Matty M @ Oct 5 2006, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paul Geremia youtube video.

Matt

Thanks for the video! He's doing the old Leadbelly tune "Silver City Bound." He does it in relative-standard tuning played "as if" in C, but tuned down two whole steps to the true key of G# on his old 12-string.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#44 Nintendo Freak

Nintendo Freak
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Original Name: Nintendo Freak

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Oct 5 2006, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Nintendo Freak @ Oct 4 2006, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, this is off topic, but I just wanted to know: what kind of Gibson's do you have dadfad?

Actually I have several Gibsons, but my main Gibson acoustic is a 1934 "The Jumbo" which I think is probably the finest acoustic guitar ever produced for the styles of music I'm into (and quite a few people into the same styles agree). Nothing I've ever played or heard can touch it as far as tone and the amount of pure power it can put out. (Actually, I almost feel guilty owning it. It deserves to be owned by someone like Paul who can do it justice. You should hear it when he plays it.) My number-two is... actually I'd say I have two number-two Gibsons because they're a little different. I have a 1949 J-45, which is similar in size and feel to my 1934 with similar tone, etc. (It used to be my number-one for many years before I found the '34 ten or fifteen years ago and is more like a "back-up" to that one. For example when I've travelled by air I'd never take the almost irreplaceable '34 so I take the J-45.) And also I have 1930 Gibson L-1. A tremendous guitar, smaller bodied than the Jumbos (1934 was the first year a jumbo-sized guitar was ever made). For that true old-timey sound, like Robert Johnson, Bo Carter, Tommy Johnson, etc it sounds perfect. Again, great tone and a lot of power, but a bit different sound and feel to the larger-bodied jumbos. Both of those I'd consider my number-twos in different ways. Thanks for asking.

Rayvon, I'm glad you at least got to see a video of him playing a bit. Does your friend live in Rhode Island?

Thanks for answering! It seems like you got some nice guitars. Have any of you guys heard of Rain Song guitars? They're all-graphite guitars and sound AWESOME!!! Dadfad, I think you should think about getting one since you like acoustic guitars alot. http://rainsong.com/

Nick guitar.gif

Bon Scott. Ultimate Frontman. Ultimate Man.

#45 grzeg

grzeg
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Original Name: grzeg

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:55 AM

The gig and the festival were great indeed. Paul Geremia was a bit unlucky tthough. He came out after Nora Jean Bruso, a singer from Chicago. She certainly could please the crowds with her strong powerful and beautiful voice. Towards the end of her gig, when she was singing about a man... I don't want /need you anymore... she sang it to the microphone and put it down... Then started singing without mic and amplification, still the whole hall could hear. People loved it.

Then came Paul. Misfortunate He said he had to borrow 2 guitars from Roy Rogers, because his got stolen back in the US. Two smallish jumbos, I don't know what they were, I was sitting too far. As he had only two, he had to detune all the time. He played some Robert Johnson, Rev. Gary Davis, he did Blind Willie McTell's Statesboro Blues and it was amazing, he played a few songs by his own. He played 3 piano tunes too. So it was a great gig, and he was still amazing, even if he played 2 borrowed guitars, and couldn't prepare everything in advance. I loved it.

But I don't get why he didn't come to people after the gig, like Nora did... She was sitting in the corridor for two hours, chatting with random fans, giving autographs, etc. I was looking for Paul for half an hour, but couldn't find him.

Roy Rogers is a very interesting slide player. This man sure can slide! He played the same 2 acoustics he had borrowed to Paul Geremia, but he played them through an electric amp, with OD. He also had a 2 neck electric. His arrangements were a bit irritating, I didn't get that distorted bass in his band, which sounded more metal-like than blue. But Roy Rogers had arranged tunes for John Lee Hooker and played with Miles Davis, so he must be a good arranger. To me he's mainly a very good slide player.

Polish bands were cool too. The director of the festival, singer, harmonica/fiddle player Irek Dudek with his band did very well, so did the youngest generation. It all finished at midnight. Then there were 5 pubs in the city where you could jam with local bands till 6 in the morning. That's what I did. smile.gif

I had a great time!

Edited by grzeg, 08 October 2006 - 01:57 AM.

IPB Image
Takhead's back
my old soundclick

#46 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:51 AM

Grzeg, I'm glad you got to see Paul play and that he was good in spite of not having his regular guitars. I called Paul about an hour ago and talked to him and offered him the loan of any of my guitars he might want to use. He said his guitars have already been recovered but that one had its neck broken off. He still has two that are adequate to use in the immediate future.

As far as not "socializing" with fans, Paul is a very... quiet, introspective kind of person. You might even say kind of shy. He's not unfriendly at all, but just doesn't feel as comfortable as some in getting out and "mingling." He's actually a really nice guy (no "swelled head" or anything about his skills) if one has a chance to meet him and have a conversation with him individually or in a smaller group. Had I known you'd be at his concert, I'd have let him know you wanted to meet him.

Anyway, it sounds like you had a good time!

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...