- - - - -

Can anyone recommend me an acoustic..That will suit my playing style?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Yahmez

Yahmez

James

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Original Name: Yahmez

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

Well, I'm in a 2 piece band - guitar (and vocals) and drums/various other percussion instruments. We play a sort've funk jazz mix, and the general style can be summed up as "the intro of 'Taylor' by Jack Johnson, but stretched out into a 45 minute set". I like to play quite hard, and quite loud, as a thin sound really doesn't work in a duo, and I need a guitar which compensates for my lack of a bass player by having a deeper sound (I think, anyway, maybe this isn't the case though...).

My price range is anything up to AU$2,000 - I don't know how conversion works (it's roughly US$1,300), but the most expensive thing I'd be willing to pay for is something comparable in price to the Ibanez AW1500ECE Artwood Solid Top.

So if anyone knows any features (solid top, different woods, etc.) that I should be looking for that would suit my needs/style, as well as any particular guitars that would be good, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much free time so can't spend hours playing in a store, so if I knew a few specific guitars to look out for then it would make my decision far easier.

Cheers,
James
IPB Image
I have 10 Major-Points™ and 1 Tzara Point™

#2 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

Taylor or Gibson Jumbo.

The bigger jumbo Tacomas aren't bad for a mid level guitar. Takamine's dreadnoughts are good and even better plugged in.

Washburn makes pretty good thumpy dreadnoughts. Realistically you want to stay w/ dreadnoughts or jumbos to get the bass attack you are looking for.

#3 Yahmez

Yahmez

James

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:31 PM

Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate it, you're always a lot of help.
IPB Image

#4 imadique

imadique

Betty when you call me you can call me Sal.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts
  • Original Name: imadique

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

I have no idea how much it'd cost you (probably at the top of your range if not a bit more), but if you can find Churchill guitars that's what Jeff Lang uses, and he's done a fair bit of drum and guitar gigging. They sound great too, his guitars. I think it's all done by one luthier, David Churchill (can't remember if that's his name or not). From memory I think he's in Melbourne too.

Another suggestion: I've heard heaps of good comments about Tanglewood guitars. Don't know what sort of tonal quality but that might be one to look at for good value.

*edit: He's in ballarat:Churchill Guitars.

You can find info on the woods he uses and contact him through that link.

Edited by imadique, 26 June 2006 - 08:29 AM.

#5 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:43 AM

Keep this in mind when buying guitars because they all "look" pretty to the eyes.

Most of the time if it doesn't say SOLID, it isn't solid....meaning the guitar will be advertised like this:

Beautiful (insert model/brand of guitar) w/ a solid spruce top, beautiful rosewood sides and back, solid mahogany neck and Grover tuners......

That means that guitar has a solid top and neck but laminate sides.

You'll see Tanglewood will mention a solid top and back on many of their higher end models but their sides are laminate.

#6 Yahmez

Yahmez

James

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone, I think my best bet is probably Maton as Gav said, I've been aiming to buy one for years but have never had the funds/time to play them very much. I went to my local today, and they are indeed amazingly beautiful guitars, I absolutely love the satin finish that a lot of the newer models have. And they play exactly as I want them to, Ninjato was right, the dreadnoughts are pretty much completely what I'm after.

This is the one I've set my sights on:

http://www.maton.com...oustics/325.asp

But, just as a side note, how do I tell whether or not it's made from solid woods, and what difference does solid construction make to a guitar? I assume solid woods vibrate/resonate better than laminated woods, but that's just a guess. Also, is there a way to tell the whether the wood's solid by tapping on it or something?
IPB Image

#7 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Yahmez @ Jun 26 2006, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, just as a side note, how do I tell whether or not it's made from solid woods, and what difference does solid construction make to a guitar? I assume solid woods vibrate/resonate better than laminated woods, but that's just a guess. Also, is there a way to tell the whether the wood's solid by tapping on it or something?

Yeah solid woods resonate better while laminates just deaden the sound. You are never going to get a puncy bass from a laminate...it'll be muddy at best.

The easiest is when you look at the description.

If it's solid, it says solid. If it isn't they just give the name without saying solid.

Look at the description of the Jumbo series
http://www.maton.com...stics/jumbo.asp

Those suckers will make your 325 sound a little anemic.

#8 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,071 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:00 AM

You can also tell if a guitar wood is solid by comparing grain patterns from the inside to the outside, using a small mirror for the inside of the top. Also if you look closely (for the top) at the sound-hole edges you can often see the cross-structure of the wood-laminates to each other (a magnifying glass helps). But the easiest way, as Ninjato mentioned, is to just look at the factory specifications for the guitar which will usually tell you.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#9 grzegorz_panek

grzegorz_panek
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • Original Name: grzegorz_panek

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:41 PM

You need a dreadnought most probably. But as you'll check a few guitars, you'll see what you really want.

I like Takamine dreadnoughts. And for the price, you can get a pretty decent one.

Edited by grzegorz_panek, 27 June 2006 - 01:42 PM.

"Grzeg (...) spending years in the Vistula River Delta picking Miss Takamine with a bottle-neck on his finger!)" - Dadfad
IPB Image
New track - Mister Sandman

#10 magpie2000

magpie2000
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: magpie2000

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:18 AM

why not have a look at the Seagull made by Rob Godin. Weebsite http://www.lasido.com/ These are a beautiful instrument with rich tones and bright, handmade in Canada. Rosewood, spruce top, mahogany. In Oz retail for the the Artist Studio is around $1800 (cutaway xtra) $1500 if you ask for best price. Sound like as $5000 guitar. LIke anything you find that is fabulous this guitar rates five stars and leaves most of those mentioned for dead -a steal and a secret. Find one and have a play. They also make an S model cedar topped one for around $800A but the top is too soft thiough still a beautifuil instrument. AS soon as I played the Artist I gave my S away. good luck

ps check this out for reviews. http://www.epinions....coustic_Guitars Well worth a look if you are after something differebnt tghat half the junk or spin thats pushed.

Edited by magpie2000, 29 June 2006 - 01:37 AM.

#11 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (magpie2000 @ Jun 29 2006, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sound like as $5ooo guitar.

I highly doubt it but the solid wood ones do sound good.

#12 MikerDougie

MikerDougie
  • 4 posts
  • Original Name: MikerDougie

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:27 PM

I don't know if you can find one, but (IMO) Epiphone Masterbuilts are a lot of guitar for the money. I recently bought my mid-life crisis guitar, and when I began searching one of the things I wanted was more bass. After trying everything I could get my hands on in my price range ($1,000 to $1,500 american) I found it to be the best sound for the money, even compared to Taylor, Larivee and Martin (again, just an opinion). I also found that solid rosewood back and sides had the deeper sound that I craved and also resonated like nothing I had played before.

But, no matter what everyone tells you, utimately you just gotta try them until you find the one that's right for you.

#13 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE (MikerDougie @ Jun 29 2006, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if you can find one, but (IMO) Epiphone Masterbuilts are a lot of guitar for the money. I recently bought my mid-life crisis guitar, and when I began searching one of the things I wanted was more bass. After trying everything I could get my hands on in my price range ($1,000 to $1,500 american) I found it to be the best sound for the money, even compared to Taylor, Larivee and Martin (again, just an opinion). I also found that solid rosewood back and sides had the deeper sound that I craved and also resonated like nothing I had played before.

But, no matter what everyone tells you, utimately you just gotta try them until you find the one that's right for you.

Epiphone Masterbuilts are about as close as you can get to a Gibson without having Gibson on the headstock. Good guitars for the money.

jacksontz.jpg

#14 Yahmez

Yahmez

James

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:51 AM

Just as a guide, what are some good models of the Masterbuilts?

http://www.musicians...ault.aspx?pg=20

Those are the ones that will be readily available to me smile.gif
IPB Image

#15 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,071 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

I would probably tend to more favor the AJ-50 series as they are more similar to the Gibson Jumbo/Advanced Jumbo style guitars, which are my preference. I've only played one Epi-Masterbuilt (and it was none of the ones shown, a relatively smaller guitar, more like say a Gibson L-model auditorium size) and I noticed it seemed much nicer than most Epiphones I'd ever played. More attention to detail and just "felt better" and had great tone, very similar to my Gibson L-1. I've heard a couple of others also say that the Masterbuilt series is kind of a premium-line from Epi built closer to Gibson specifications. Worth checking out.

jacksontz.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...