BeginnerAdvice Needed.

24 replies to this topic

#1 marksadler

marksadler
  • 6 posts
  • Original Name: marksadler

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

Hello everyone,

I have always wanted to learn to play the Guitar and have decided to start. I have no experience with guitars at all and would like your advice. Which electric guitar would you recommend for a beginner? Im looking to spend in the region of 150 - 200, I know its not much and wont get me a brilliant guitar but Im only after something thats easy to learn with and sounds good(ish). Ive been looking at Ibanez's, are any of them suitable for beginners? Also any advice on a decent amp would be helpful, one just for my bedroom to practice on.

Thanks.

Edited by marksadler, 25 June 2006 - 12:31 PM.

#2 Captain_Trips

Captain_Trips

it was fun, while it lasted

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,000 posts
  • Original Name: Captain_Trips

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

I know you asked about an electric but I feel obligated just to tell you how much better off you would be to start on an acoustic. It builds the muscles in the fingers better and will make it way easier to switch to an electric later. It will make you a better player faster, for sure.

That said as far as electrics go I would recommend trying some guitars out, be sure to play your guitar before you buy it. Some good brands to look for are the Squires. The low end Fenders. Thats where I would start. You can probably get a good practice amp for about sixty to eighty bucks, I would recommend a Marshall MG like maybe the MG10CD -- a nice little practice amp with some decent kick to it.

May luck be with you . . .
Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shine
Come to Daddy on an inside straight
I got no chance of losing this time
No, I got no chance of losing this time

#3 marksadler

marksadler
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll take a look at the acoustics. Someone told me the electric was easier to learn than the acoustic, isnt this true then? Something to do with the strings being closer to the guitar or something.

#4 systemdelsilencio

systemdelsilencio
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Original Name: systemdelsilencio

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (marksadler @ Jun 25 2006, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll take a look at the acoustics. Someone told me the electric was easier to learn than the acoustic, isnt this true then? Something to do with the strings being closer to the guitar or something.

Electric is far easier to learn as the strings are not as hard to press. But it is beacues of that, that the acoustic is recommend. Since the strings are harder to press once you are able to play on an acoustic you'll be able to play about any type of guitar. On the other hand if you learn on an electric, when you try to play on an acoustic you are going to find yourself lacking enough strength to play it cleanly.

#5 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

I have to agree with the others, and say start on Acoustic(steel string) and learn all your basics on that. I would also recomend you get a guitar teacher to take you through the basics(and beyond if you like) Practice a minimum of an hour a day, but really practice as much as possible.

#6 marksadler

marksadler
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:32 PM

Any recommendations on acoustics then?

#7 Nintendo Freak

Nintendo Freak
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Original Name: Nintendo Freak

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (marksadler @ Jun 25 2006, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any recommendations on acoustics then?

I recommend Alvarez (Which is what I have), Ibanez, and epiphone for acoustics. I have an Alvarez RD-8, which cost me a little under $200 ( Probably around 150 pounds for you since you're in England). The Alvarez RD-8 is a good beginner to intermediate guitar (I'm intermediate guitar.gif (lol)), it has a nice sound and a nice tone to it and it isn't extremely big. I think you might like it, but different strokes for different folks! Hope this helps!

Nick

Bon Scott. Ultimate Frontman. Ultimate Man.

#8 wacky_iraqi

wacky_iraqi
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Original Name: wacky_iraqi

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:27 PM

http://www.musicians...itar?sku=516304

thats my first acoustic, and the one I still own to this day. the sound quality is amazingly warm, but at the same time bright - it has a great sound and emits very good volume

#9 billy16

billy16
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • Original Name: billy16

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

When you do move on to electric, stay away from the MG series amps.

Yamaha makes some good beginner acoustics. I think they even have one that comes in a pack with a tuner, picks, and a gig bag.

#10 Derek5272

Derek5272

Wannabe Shredder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Original Name: Derek5272

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (wacky_iraqi @ Jun 25 2006, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.musicians...itar?sku=516304

thats my first acoustic, and the one I still own to this day. the sound quality is amazingly warm, but at the same time bright - it has a great sound and emits very good volume

I'm gonna recommend you go for a Tak as well. They beat the hell out of other similarly priced acoustics, imo.

#11 grzegorz_panek

grzegorz_panek
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts
  • Original Name: grzegorz_panek

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:03 AM

If you want an electric, get a Pacifica. If you want an acoustic, get some low end Takamine.
"Grzeg (...) spending years in the Vistula River Delta picking Miss Takamine with a bottle-neck on his finger!)" - Dadfad
IPB Image
New track - Mister Sandman

#12 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Original Name: kkatarn327

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

Get one of them Epiphone LP starter kits. They're quite cheap and come with all you need.

#13 demoralizeduk

demoralizeduk
  • 73 posts
  • Original Name: demoralizeduk

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

i started with electric (90 Axl Telecaster). i got my acoustic a year later. altho its probably slightly betta to learn on an acoustic first, it doesn't take long to get a good clean sound out of an acoustic when you've played an electric for a year.

#14 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Original Name: kkatarn327

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

I started out with a Strat, and I still don't own an acoustic dry.gif .

Personally, I think it would be better to get started off with an electric... Like I said, those Epi LP packs are great.

#15 systemdelsilencio

systemdelsilencio
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Original Name: systemdelsilencio

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

On second thought you should instead go for an electric especially if you plan to use distortion. The reason is because that way you'll learn how to mute the strings when using distortion and furthermore you'll learn other techniques like tapping which you would not normally learn using an acoustic. Another reason is because the ease will encourage you to stick to guitar rather than to give up like many do. If you go for an acoustic I recommend a nylon string, but beware as you won't be able to bend the strings as much in a nylon.

For begginer acoustics try one of the OVATION applause guitars. Those are pretty good for the money.
For a begginer electric try an epiphone package.

I recommend you try buying something a little more expensive than a begginers guitar as the more expensive guitars are actually more comfortable to play.

#16 marksadler

marksadler
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

The main reason I was going to buy an electric was because it was easier. If I got an acoustic and found it too hard I'd probably give up after a while. If I learn on the electric then when I buy an acoustic it shouldnt take too long to adjust, and if i know i can do it on an electric I wouldnt give up as easy on the acoustic.

I have been looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Special II as my first buy, is it any good?

Thanks for all you replys and help.

Edited by marksadler, 27 June 2006 - 09:00 AM.

#17 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (marksadler @ Jun 27 2006, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Special II as my first buy, is it any good?

Thanks for all you replys and help.

Just get the Epi LP standard. It has a little more beef to it.

#18 marksadler

marksadler
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

Actually you know what, Im going to take your advice and go for the acoustic. I want to be as good as I can ever get in a few years and since most of yous have been playing for years you know whats best.

Thanks for all the help.

#19 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (marksadler @ Jun 27 2006, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually you know what, Im going to take your advice and go for the acoustic. I want to be as good as I can ever get in a few years and since most of yous have been playing for years you know whats best.

Thanks for all the help.

Good deal. You made a right choice imo. Plus, you can take it with you anywhere and practice without having to lug around an amp.

I never leave far from home without taking an acoustic with me. It may sound funny to some but I get guitar withdrawls if I don't have one nearby to pluck when I want.

#20 marksadler

marksadler
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:56 AM

Does it matter how thick the picks are you use. I can find some ranging from .50mm to 2mm and I havent a clue which to buy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...