What's going on? Where am I?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts
  • Original Name: sot

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (kkatarn327 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that the new VOS series LP?

No, just the custom art and historic series reissue.

Bottom of the Hill! Yea!

Listen to my band, Murderland

#43 B.B. Hudson

B.B. Hudson
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts
  • Original Name: B.B. Hudson

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Jun 30 2006, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (B.B. Hudson @ Jun 30 2006, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gibsons are often twice the price of Fenders. Are they double the quality?

A Mercedes is twice if not 3 times the price of a Nissan.....are they double the qualilty?

A Harley is twice as expensive as a Honda, are Harleys twice as good?

Exactly. Obviously the answer is "no". As Dadfad pointed out, a cheaper car will still put you from A to B (and as Dadfad failed to mention, will probably put you there using less petrol). Still, given all the money in the world, I'd still buy a Jaguar over a cheaper and more powerful foreign car. Why? I honestly have no idea. I just would (actually it's because I'd never in a million years be able to afford an Aston Martin sadbuttrue.gif ).

I currently play a Fender and I have (at one strange point in my life) owned a Gibson, and I honestly cannot pick one out to be superior to the other. Perhaps one is better than the other, but if it is it is at such a small margin that I myself cannot tell the difference. In no way is Gibson "double" the quality of Fender.

#44 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (sot @ Jun 30 2006, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone here is missing the point. Gibson guitars kick so much ass it's silly. tongue.gif

Sot, proud owner of 5 beautiful gibsons (and a couple fenders...shh) including my newest purchase, a 1958 custom shop goldtop reissue pictured in sig.

cheers.gif

Ninjato owner of 8 Gibsons on TOP of my latest purchase a Gibson J185 Custom Limited. tongue.gif

#45 sot

sot

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (B.B. Hudson @ Jun 30 2006, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Mercedes is twice if not 3 times the price of a Nissan.....are they double the qualilty?

Exactly. Obviously the answer is "no". As Dadfad pointed out, a cheaper car will still put you from A to B (and as Dadfad failed to mention, will probably put you there using less petrol). Still, given all the money in the world, I'd still buy a Jaguar over a cheaper and more powerful foreign car. Why? I honestly have no idea. I just would (actually it's because I'd never in a million years be able to afford an Aston Martin sadbuttrue.gif ).

I currently play a Fender and I have (at one strange point in my life) owned a Gibson, and I honestly cannot pick one out to be superior to the other. Perhaps one is better than the other, but if it is it is at such a small margin that I myself cannot tell the difference. In no way is Gibson "double" the quality of Fender.

Well, if you really want to use a car analogy, a gibson is a jag, superb craftsmenship, fine lines and top quality parts. A fender is a cooper. A couple parts bolted together. Now, you can do some nifty things with a cooper but it's never going to be a jag. A trained monkey could make a fender, bolt a neck to a plank of wood. Plank, that was fender's original nickname when they came out.

Bottom of the Hill! Yea!

#46 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Original Name: kkatarn327

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (sot @ Jun 30 2006, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kkatarn327 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that the new VOS series LP?

No, just the custom art and historic series reissue.

Wow... that's a reall nice LP, I'm sure your proud.

QUOTE (sot @ Jun 30 2006, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (B.B. Hudson @ Jun 30 2006, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if you really want to use a car analogy, a gibson is a jag, superb craftsmenship, fine lines and top quality parts. A fender is a cooper. A couple parts bolted together. Now, you can do some nifty things with a cooper but it's never going to be a jag. A trained monkey could make a fender, bolt a neck to a plank of wood. Plank, that was fender's original nickname when they came out.

I think that's being a little harsh on Fender...

...but I still think Gibson is better.

#47 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (sot @ Jun 30 2006, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (badasstommyboy @ Jun 30 2006, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its all opinions tho at the end of the day though.

Maybe, but at the moment, Gibson does not officialy endorse any artist and those they have endorsed over the years never recieve money, just equipment. The number of artists gibson gives guitars to is very, very small. By very small I mean a handful of people worldwide. For example, if Slash wants a les paul, he has to buy one (he does get a good price, when I worked at guitar center hollywood he came in a fair amount). Ibanez on the other hand pays about a dozen artists at any given time and puts thier guitars in hundreds of artists hands worldwide. The end result? The vast majority of the world's professional guitarists would rather pay to play a gibson than get a free one from Ibanez.

thats a really good point, did you ever meet any other known type guitarist when you worked at guitar center?
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#48 sot

sot

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Jun 30 2006, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (sot @ Jun 30 2006, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone here is missing the point. Gibson guitars kick so much ass it's silly. tongue.gif

Sot, proud owner of 5 beautiful gibsons (and a couple fenders...shh) including my newest purchase, a 1958 custom shop goldtop reissue pictured in sig.

cheers.gif

Ninjato owner of 8 Gibsons on TOP of my latest purchase a Gibson J185 Custom Limited. tongue.gif

ohmy.gif (this is the smily that looked the most like envy to me). What do you have? I've got the goldtop, a tobacco burst standard, a cherrry burst classic, a black SG standard and a 1980 silverburst custom. As for the fenders, I have a mid 90's japanese made tele custom and a newer model american standard tele. I've also got an ESP custom shop horizon formerly owned by stephen carpenter (guitarist for the def tones), a mid 60's epiphone douple cut (my first guitar, passed down to me by my uncle when I was 8), a chandler tele, a mid 70's martin hd-28 that I just got back from my thieving bastard of a brother, a taylor big baby, a martin D-18 kit guitar I assembled myself (It's...so, so) and an epiphone emperor regent archtop that I've modified significantly with a bartolini floating pickup, an ebony trapeze style tail piece and grover tuners.

QUOTE (kurtlives @ Jun 30 2006, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (sot @ Jun 30 2006, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (badasstommyboy @ Jun 30 2006, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its all opinions tho at the end of the day though.

Maybe, but at the moment, Gibson does not officialy endorse any artist and those they have endorsed over the years never recieve money, just equipment. The number of artists gibson gives guitars to is very, very small. By very small I mean a handful of people worldwide. For example, if Slash wants a les paul, he has to buy one (he does get a good price, when I worked at guitar center hollywood he came in a fair amount). Ibanez on the other hand pays about a dozen artists at any given time and puts thier guitars in hundreds of artists hands worldwide. The end result? The vast majority of the world's professional guitarists would rather pay to play a gibson than get a free one from Ibanez.

thats a really good point, did you ever meet any other known type guitarist when you worked at guitar center?

Everyday pretty much. the hollywood guitar center is a pretty crazy place, pretty much every musician in the los angeles area and any touring bands that come through buy their stuff there. It's the largest music store in the world and it even has a museum and stuff.

Bottom of the Hill! Yea!

#49 billy16

billy16
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • Original Name: billy16

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

Gibsons are way overpriced. Other than that, they are good. Too heavy for me though. But I usually get cheaper guitars. There are a few companies I really like in terms of what you get for the money like Dean, Peavey, and of course Fender. I'd rather have one of those simply because I wouldn't be afraid to play it and ding and scratch it up, plus they still sound pretty good. Even if you don't like the sound, you can get new pickups for under $200.

Really, you could take a guitar that has a set mahogany neck and mahogany body, put in some Gibson humbuckers and you would pretty much have the same thing. Now I know it won't totally be the same sound, but close enough. It doesn't matter what name is on the headstock or how much you paid for it, niether of those two mean it includes the talent to play it. I'm just as happy with my $250 Predator than some people are with their $2000 or so Gibson.

#50 GuitarPlayer_heavymetal

GuitarPlayer_heavymetal
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Original Name: GuitarPlayer_heavymetal

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

Dude im with ya..... i love les pauls though,and your right they do have that sound..but i still love my strats and ibanz... good points though..

>
>
>
>
oh yah i buddy of mine once said . "it doesnt madder what gear you have.Its how YOU play the guitar".."if hendrix picked up your Guitar he would SOUND like Hendrix Am i RIGHT?
Ps. I Find Epi's The Same As Gibs With Diff Pups.

Edited by GuitarPlayer_heavymetal, 30 June 2006 - 06:01 PM.

#51 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (GuitarPlayer_heavymetal @ Jun 30 2006, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude im with ya..... i love les pauls though,and your right they do have that sound..but i still love my strats and ibanz... good points though..

>
>
>
>
oh yah i buddy of mine once said . "it doesnt madder what gear you have.Its how YOU play the guitar".."if hendrix picked up your Guitar he would SOUND like Hendrix Am i RIGHT?

That's why I don't worry about sounding like anyone other than myself.

#52 billy16

billy16
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • Original Name: billy16

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:06 PM

What if you suck at sounding like yourself?

#53 GuitarPlayer_heavymetal

GuitarPlayer_heavymetal
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Original Name: GuitarPlayer_heavymetal

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Jun 30 2006, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (GuitarPlayer_heavymetal @ Jun 30 2006, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

>
>
>
>

That's why I don't worry about sounding like anyone other than myself.

Perfectly Right My Friend.Who Cares The Way People(PEOPLE) Think Sounds Better? As long as Im happy with My Sound thats all i have to worry about.Heres another lil thing.....Like ya man Sure theres a lot of people better at guitar then me but i dont care as long as i can play my guitar in my own comfort thats all i need.<thaught that was generally the same thing that we were thalkin about.

#54 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

Honestly, can we just drop the topic? We will NEVER get anywhere; I doubt anyone's opinion has changed so far or will change if this topic continues.

Everyone, just play what you want and like what guitars you want. Everyone has a different taste and a different opinion, and that's why there are so many guitar brands. If there was just one everyone liked, then why are there so many?

Don't make me call a mod in here.

#55 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (GuitarPlayer_heavymetal @ Jun 30 2006, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perfectly Right My Friend.Who Cares The Way People(PEOPLE) Think Sounds Better? As long as Im happy with My Sound thats all i have to worry about.Heres another lil thing.....Like ya man Sure theres a lot of people better at guitar then me but i dont care as long as i can play my guitar in my own comfort thats all i need.<thaught that was generally the same thing that we were thalkin about.

Exactly...the confusion and resentment comes from not understanding a certain POV. When I say I don't like a particular guitar, or I think a certain brand sucks, it has NOTHING to do w/ anybody who owns named brand and has EVERYTHING to do w/ me.

So next time you hear me say Fender sucks, it is not because you bought one, it is because I wouldn't buy one for myself. It sucks to me for what I want to do and hear out my "sound". ADDS already thinks all my guitars suck by his standards so hey f-u-c-k it....can't please everybody.

Edited by ninjato, 30 June 2006 - 09:52 PM.

#56 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

Guys, really, could we please put it to a rest?

#57 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (kkatarn327 @ Jul 1 2006, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys, really, could we please put it to a rest?

Well you keep ressurecting it. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#58 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

I just tell people that it doesn't matter and that it won't make a difference.

#59 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:25 PM

I've got a les paul gold top and an ash body strat.
Guess what?
There both great.

#60 Altitudes911

Altitudes911
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Original Name: Altitudes911

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:23 PM

Sincerely, with the $1,200+ something of money for a Gibson LP, I'd rather get a Jackson soloist...
Posted Image
Jackson Kelly Std (EMG85/81)
Jackson KVX10 (DiMarzio DactivatorX/X2N)
Boss GT-10
Boss MT-2
Peavey Bandit 112
Marshall MS-4

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...