Statement Regarding Legality of TabsWhat I have to say...

808 replies to this topic

#101 sandwichx

sandwichx
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: sandwichx

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

How can they sell music if people don't know how to play?

Where will the next bands come from?

The people that play guitar are the same ones that go to concerts and shell out $90 for a ticket.

Another thing why are they using Lennon's songs in credit card commercials??? If its his family they should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sure he wouldn't sell all you need is love.

Edited by sandwichx, 18 July 2006 - 03:33 PM.

#102 guitaardvark

guitaardvark
  • 21 posts
  • Original Name: guitaardvark

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:45 PM

Guitar tab universe only posts tabs, done by lots and lots of people, not by the site itself,
IN ORDER TO STOP GUITAR TAB UNIVERSE, THE MPA WOULD HAVE TO STOP EVERY SINGLE mad.gif PERSON WHO EVER HAS POSTED A TAB ON THE SITE, WICH IS WAY TOO HARD!!!!

Okay im calm now. sleep.gif
DRINK MILK LOVE LIFE DRINK BEER BEAT YOUR WIFE

#103 benttrix

benttrix
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: benttrix

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

Greed,Greed,Greed . Please don't let them win!!!!!! How we play, or think we play a song should be up to anyone deems to do so, not up to some corporate idiot that probaly can't play guitar or etc... I enjoy sharing and recieving ways to play tunes, either @ home, on line, on the phone or @ a friends house. I am sorry everyone has to deal with these people trying to tell everyone, how they can learn and enjoy playing an instrument........ GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!

#104 muddyman

muddyman
  • 40 posts
  • Original Name: muddyman

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

I know this isnt gonna help, but you guys have got my support, its getting silly how we just cant do anything without someone bitching about breaching copyright.

#105 navyscablifter

navyscablifter
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: navyscablifter

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

I have learned to play stuff by ear, and I see no problem with sharing, it is not copyright infringement.
F*** em all!!

#106 muddyman

muddyman
  • 40 posts
  • Original Name: muddyman

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

cant you just change the name of the tabs, or even the tab itself, just a tiny bit? so people still know what they are, but you get around law

#107 stup1dk1d

stup1dk1d
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: stup1dk1d

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

seriously...this is silly. and its been going on for years. but this is really bad!
lots of bands have myspae pages...if you have a myspace account, you should look up bands pages and try to contact their members and let them know of our plight, try to win them over to support us tabbers.

#108 Country_star

Country_star
  • 30 posts
  • Original Name: Country_star

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

this just goes to show the greed of the mpa how can tabs on here b copyright when they are worked out by ear if it was a book that was on here then that would b copyright and guitar magazines put tabs in them this is just another way it helps loads of people out and the mpa will lose out in the end.
powertabs.net got closed by them but reopened again not long after so this will hopefuly happen tto this site and the other one i know it closed mxtabs.net.
[FONT=Courier][SIZE=14][COLOR=blue]Country_star[B]

#109 JustaCowboy90

JustaCowboy90
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Original Name: JustaCowboy90

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:25 PM

What products does MPA sell so that I may being my boycott? I do belive having some influential artists may aid us. I have a friend who grew up with Derek Trucks and still talks to him frequently, I have actually had the opportunity to meet him.

#110 mrdan

mrdan
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: mrdan

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

I was afraid this was coming. How many of us rely on tabs because we just aren't good enough to figure them out on our own, so we use them just for our personal pleasure? Totally agree - time for us to write to all the powers in an intelligent and persuasive manner. Don't know if we'll win, but we've got to try...

#111 Country_star

Country_star
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:55 PM

hiya guys well i have emails the mpa and put my comments across to them if you want there email this is it

[email protected]

lets fight it trough dont let them win peace out

#112 Country_star

Country_star
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

this is a statment on the mpa website

http://www.mpa.org/news/show/5

check it out

#113 blackened10

blackened10
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Original Name: blackened10

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

[quote name='Jiveturkey' date='Jul 18 2006, 03:22 PM' post='2512015']
[quote name='blackened10' date='Jul 18 2006, 11:56 AM' post='2511841']
[/quote]
Jesus Christ
doesnt everybody

before you post on this topic... go around the forum and post and when u get more... say uve talked it up in 3 topics
come back and then we'll talk
better do it quick,
this site might not be hear

[/quote]
Why? What make his opinion any less relevant than yours or anyone elses?
[/quote]

its all the same...
just let them get a feel for the forums and learn another reason why GTU is awesome
im not saying that they suk for never posting or givin them sh it... but that they should look around since this topic has been introduced to them... to c what the rest of the forums have to offer...

im not sayin they suk at all
im saying...that they might wunt to get feel for the rest of the forums... u no since they are already here
y not go look around and play around before they get into serious convo
or if they are in other ones and they have experience... feel free...
i wusnt givin sh it...
that all

...the cat went to rehab

#114 guitarplayersunite

guitarplayersunite
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: guitarplayersunite

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Slayerfan @ Jul 17 2006, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, what they are telling me is that my 5th grade band teacher was a criminal for photocopying music to hand out to his students instead of buying a new copy for every student? We are not stealing music here. Sites such as this are a great way to share tablature. I just never thought being a musician would label me as a law breaker. I wonder if anyone at these so called "associations" know that they are loosing credibility? Do they even care? Keep fighting! Oh, wait...we might get in trouble for copying what Napster did by defending our own actions....

This is just a lame attempt by the MPA so that we are forced to go out and buy the tablature books.....the only motivation for them is greed. Everything else is just intimidation.

Edited by guitarplayersunite, 18 July 2006 - 06:12 PM.

#115 jskryguitar

jskryguitar

Bowmp chicka bowmp bowmp

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Original Name: jskryguitar

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

Its all Politics'

And politics=compromise
IPB Image

#116 hippyguitarchick

hippyguitarchick
  • 4 posts
  • Original Name: hippyguitarchick

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (blackened10 @ Jul 18 2006, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (in_repair @ Jul 18 2006, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Copyright Infringement

Whenever printed music is copied without permission, you are STEALING...

The Music Publishers Association (MPA)

Correct me if I'm wrong, I do believe it says copies, not interprets and rewrites to the best of their knowledge for personal use only. You know some contries have ruled that downloading music is not illegal so long as you don't make it public and use it for personal purposes only.

What is copyright infringement?
Copyright infringement occurs when a person copies someone else's copyrighted items without permission. This would also include public display of a copy of copyrighted work.

http://www.lostquilt...fringement.html

I believe that it says copies there too.

in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly...

U.S. Copyright Office

The main intention of sites that produce tablature is to teach beginners how to play the songs they love. Not only is that the main intention of the site, but the majority of users looking for tabs are beginners looking for how to play the songs they love. I'm sure artists don't mind that a beginning guitar player wants to take up learning their song.

We have also heard that it would be too expensive to purchase legitimate tablature or sheet music for all of the songs that a player may want to learn. We are sure that these same individuals would not feel entitled to steal a sheet music book or a guitar from a music store simply because they want it but cannot afford it. Yet, anyone who patronizes these illegal web sites is stealing just as if he or she walked out of the music store with sheet music or a guitar.

The MPA

I think a much fairer comparaison is this:
Somebody is illegally downloading music. They get the file, open it, and find not the origional song they want, rather a covered one played by some no-name band that thought they sounded like the origional. You see... that's not the song they origionally intended to play. They got it because a band decided they would take an origional song and try and play it to their best ability. Which is what people posting up tabs on the internet are doing.

In Conclusion, reproducing copyrighted materials is illegal. But posting a tab on the internet is exactly the same as telling someone how to play a song. If you tell them verbally, that's not copyright infringement. So why should it be copyright infringement to tell them on pen and paper?

It's not copied material people are posting on the internet. It's interpretational, and most people don't use the entire tab, rather they try to fit their own interpretation into it. It's merely a guideline to try and learn the song, for the purpose of learning how to play a great instrument.

Artists themselves are the holders of the copyrighted material. I myself have not heard any complaints from them, just the MPA acting on "numerous e-mails" that they have recieved, which are completely undisclosed to the public.

Website tabs are a way for people to teach themselves how to play the guitar. If they don't have these tabs, then how are they to learn the guitar? They aren't good enough yet to hear a song and tell themselves how it's played. They don't want to go buy tab books for something they aren't even sure they will take up.

The MPA is simply an Association trying to take advantage of people so that they can make more money by selling sheet music. They brought up this complaint in the year 2005. There hasn't been any arguing about people interpreting other people's music in tablature, going back to, oh, the year 1300, the approximate time tablature was invented. It's an outrage that the MPA wants to take advantage of lower to middle class people based on "numerous e-mails" which just so happen to be undisclosed.

Thank you for reading,

Nick

exactly
the word copyright
copy right
did no on see that before
hot dam

voodoogav does have a point tho...
dam you...i dont bieleve it tho

its just like tellin a friend how to play a soong but u dont know that friend...

Soon the MPA or whatever that wire tapping company was is going to be looking at our emails and finding tabs,tracking us down, and calling us criminals

its all bull sh it

now all they need is their own Tablature FBI Nazi police, peeking in every garage and house when you are jamming, making sure that you play the songs with books in front of them like in music class and immediately fine you if you can figure out the song without buying their half steppin, half the arrangements are wrong, pissed off that you paid $19.95 for the wrong music.... doh.gif ...music.

I understand copyright infringement, but this is totally rediculous, if we all followed what they are suggesting, they need to issue us our own personal music mentors to watch over us because we might sing a song or play a tune...its almost like discrimination because we can play, and they cant....wouldnt that be something...this whole thing because they are pissed off that they cant hold a tune in a bucket....lol laugh2.gif

I think this will blow over after a while- there are many international sites that have good tunes, but I am afraid to post them since "they" might be watching....like the idiot lawyer that wrote that half ass statement defending the fact that while much of the music that is tabbed is not published by ANYONE, they dont want you to learn it in case they decide to. noani.gif peace

#117 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

If you burn a cd and give the copy to a friend there was no crime committed. I think that this is the same type of situation. I caught on to The Black Crowes "Could I have been so blind" by listening to the cd, I showed a friend and made no money. I think this is the napster situation all over again. The government wants a cut of the action. If no money exchanges hands it is as simple as listening to music. I hope that the guitar zone tabs can continue, it has increased my education of guitar greatly and I have not made one dime off the knowledge. Rock on and keep fighting the good fight..... Adam Weeks

#118 LCB

LCB
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: LCB

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

man this is b/s. im goin on strike....or is it boycott??? oh well anyway why do some guys always have to complain about somin that aint doing any harm to anyone. now if there were the original artist complaining left and right to them then i could understand a little more why they are doin this. but still the art of music has to be passed on right? well the fact is that it wont if we dont have a way to learn it. from what i understand music teachers are breaking the law too. a really stupid pointless law. they want us all to come up with our own original mustic. befor long there will be no more originals b/c someone will have bound to have played that tune befor then what do you no....ur a crimanial..man this sucks.

#119 VoodooChild535Q

VoodooChild535Q
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Original Name: VoodooChild535Q

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

those guys tried to do this same thing at mikesguitarsite.co.uk but now the tabs are once again viewable tto the public.

no use. i had to buy a 25 dollar leadbelly tab book because i couldnt find any correct lead belly tabs on the internet BLASPHEMY

where is superman when you need him
user posted image
"There`s a lady who`s sure
that all that glitters is gold,
and she`s buying a stairway to heaven.
And when she gets there she knows
if the stores are all closed,
with a word she can get what she came for"

#120 floydian89

floydian89
  • 23 posts
  • Original Name: floydian89

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (SRVBasser1 @ Jul 18 2006, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all, this is my first time posting on any forum whatsoever, But It will not be my last concerning any topic as crucial and important as this one. I have been using tab sites such as this ever since I first "discovered" the internet about 5 years ago. A thought that occured to me during this time was "I wonder when the record companys or publishers are going to jump on this one?". I turns out they finally did. I was not very suprised. It is (as previous posters have mentioned) about the all mighty dollar and not about this so called copyright infringement. I would not be surprised if this is merely the start of many more worse things to come. I would think that they are simply using scare tactics in order to try and buyout independent websites such as this in order to control the flow of information to suit their needs. They want to sell tab. Plain and simple. But how can you sell what people are giving away for free? By playing the legal card, hoping to create enough fear in the webmasters so they sellout thereby creating a monopoly. Fortunately it seems that we people will not go down without a fight.

Concerning the legal matters, I personally don't think we have anything to worry about. The lawyers can sort these matters out. Copyrights are very in-depth tedious matters that are very hard for the average person to understand and sort out. I think the interpetation argument is a very valid one but I think it can go even deeper. What about the way a person who downloads a tab interpets it? What if they play it wrong? What if they play it just as good but fail to do that hammer-on in the second bar? When does the integrity of the song come into play? If I write out a tab for my favorite song but completely mess it up am I still liable? What if it's perfect? Many, many, questions have to be answered in a court of law before all this can be sorted out.

BUT....
There are 2 sides to every coin. I wonder how much profit is gained by advertising on this site and others? Sorry to point that out. I absolutely love this site and DO NOT want it to go anywhere. Keep on fighting the good fight!

well put. i know i'm just repeating what everyone else has said but it dosn't matter. what we need to do is fight back against this. we need to start making more tabs and saving them and printing them out. they are just trying to scare these tabs websites because they know that they cant afford to go up against them; they are just people like you and me trying to help people to learn. what we need is some people that can stand up to the MPA and that can make a difference such as the musicians. we need to make something happen instead of just talking about it. the only way i learned was from tabs and i definately wouldn't be where i am now without them. keep the music alive!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...