guitar centerLOVE OR HATE IT

36 replies to this topic

#1 EXTREMEGUITAR

EXTREMEGUITAR
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Original Name: EXTREMEGUITAR

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:17 AM

Yea ok we've all had our trips to guitar center. But anyways today as I walked through guitar center I was disgusted at the untuned, badly set up status of even 3k + guitars. I turned my nose at the most uppity of les pauls and PRS's. I think i'd just prefer my setup at home costing me 2k than any worldy combination of crap at guitar center. do u guys have this problem?? maybe its just be but i think i really hate guitar center, its like a brothel for guitars

#2 Yahmez

Yahmez

James

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Original Name: Yahmez

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:27 AM

We don't have them in Australia, but it sounds like a pretty huge type of place - surely the guys who work there tune each guitar every day or two, but inbetween when idiots try to "fix" the tuning, they can't be expected to grab each guitar after it's been played to check if someone's buggered up their tuning or not...
IPB Image
I have 10 Major-Points™ and 1 Tzara Point™

#3 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (Yahmez @ Aug 13 2006, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We don't have them in Australia, but it sounds like a pretty huge type of place - surely the guys who work there tune each guitar every day or two, but inbetween when idiots try to "fix" the tuning, they can't be expected to grab each guitar after it's been played to check if someone's buggered up their tuning or not...

Can you describe what Guitar Center is like and what is there?
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#4 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:06 AM

We don't have them over here yet, although there are rumblings that we may be getting some. As a rule there aren't many guitar chain stores, certainly not to the extent that you have GC and the like.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#5 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (halfmoonbay @ Aug 13 2006, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We don't have them over here yet, although there are rumblings that we may be getting some. As a rule there aren't many guitar chain stores, certainly not to the extent that you have GC and the like.

yeh we have a few small chains, like Professional Music Technology, Soundcontrol etc who have maybe 3 to 5 shops around the UK, but no huge big chain of them. I suppose it's nice like that as they all try and compete for prices etc although its a pain tracking equipment down as they all supply different brands. I did hear rumours a few years back that virgin megastores were gonna start selling music equipment in their shops. Not sure if anything ever came of that though.

#6 hellyea

hellyea
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Original Name: hellyea

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:06 AM

the virgin megastore in london actually has a soundcontrol shop in its basement- i think they are sort of collaborating to get music equipment selling near actual music..........dont know if they will do that elsewhere.....

while i am here may i ask EXTREMGUITAR- what the schecter blackjack is like and how does it compare to the s-470 and strat?
IPB Image

#7 rweezera

rweezera
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Original Name: rweezera

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:59 AM

i have a guitar center kinda by me. i really don't mind it. it's the only decent shop by me. i have a guitar shop about 40 feet from my house, but the owners a con-man. he tried to screw a friend and me one time by having us sell his "all original" vintage stuff for him. he was full of sh!t. anywayyyy

i've found some great stuff at guitar center. i bought an ash body strat with lace sensors, warmoth neck, and grovers for $250 one time and they are the only place to go by me if you want to try high end guitars.

#8 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Original Name: guru of rock n roll

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (EXTREMEGUITAR @ Aug 13 2006, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea ok we've all had our trips to guitar center. But anyways today as I walked through guitar center I was disgusted at the untuned, badly set up status of even 3k + guitars. I turned my nose at the most uppity of les pauls and PRS's. I think i'd just prefer my setup at home costing me 2k than any worldy combination of crap at guitar center. do u guys have this problem?? maybe its just be but i think i really hate guitar center, its like a brothel for guitars
It really depends on which store you goto.I have 3 Guitar centers with 50 miles of where I live and thier great.But I had a simiular experience with a Sam Ash,I had to plug the amps in and unplug some for the electric strip.Mind you I`m playing on Marshall half stack`s ,not one sales person approached me.And even walked behind the counter to grab a Les Paul.I went to the store to look at the gnx4.Not one slaes person helped me,that day neither went through more work unplugging and moving around.I decided I was going to buy one, but not thier.So it must be that store sucks just like the store you went to.

Edit

If you look at my personal pic I bought all that stuff at Guitar Center.The amp I orginally bought was the Mg 100 series Half stack I played on it 3 months they gave me full price on the head ,I paid another 150 dollars and got that Crate head another 20 watts more and tubes.I love that store and will always goto that store first.I spent 1800 dollars so far this year .

Edited by guru of rock n roll, 13 August 2006 - 07:59 AM.

Posted Image

#9 guitarstrummin63

guitarstrummin63

Mr. Official something or another (male... see i said Mr.)

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Original Name: guitarstrummin63

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:29 AM

i use guitar center to try different guitar brands than i find at my local shops and try many different amps if i'm in the market for one

but i'm not a big fan of buying new items from guitar center, although buying used can yield a bargain every now and then....

#10 kooldood1

kooldood1

the love is not enough

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts
  • Original Name: kooldood1

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Personally, i think GC is the best large chain store. We have GC, Georges music, and Sam Ash. At the other 2 stores people that work there alwasy bug you when your trying to play an instrument or something. At GC theyre just like hey how are you doing, theres cords on that wall, go have fun type of thing. You cant expect every guitar to be in tune when people play them everyday and they have the action higher because its easier to lower it than higher it. Also you have youre own preferance on how you like a guitar set-up and the guitars arent set-up to everones likings. IMO i like guitar center, we get good deals and the people there are good people.

#11 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

I like GC. Sam Ash is a lot worse IMO.

I go to GC for knick knacks. I go elsewhere for my guitars although I have bought some from GC like this one because it was a limited edition #62 of 100

Edited by ninjato, 13 August 2006 - 11:56 AM.

#12 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

I see Guitar Center as the Wal-Mart of music stores, sort of a necessary evil. I wasn't too thrilled about Guitar Center coming to my town. But since it is here now I might as well take advantage of it. They are generally open later than most music stores. So hypothetically if I needed a set of strings on the way to a gig I could possibly stop by Guitar Center and get a set. I will buy accessories from them when I need them in a pinch. But most of the time I would rather shop at mom & pop stores around town. And I am pretty sure that I would not buy a high dollar or vintage guitar from Guitar Center.

Edited by misterhat, 13 August 2006 - 12:02 PM.

#13 guitarstrummin63

guitarstrummin63

Mr. Official something or another (male... see i said Mr.)

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Original Name: guitarstrummin63

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (misterhat @ Aug 13 2006, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see Guitar Center as the Wal-Mart of music stores, sort of a necessary evil. I wasn't too thrilled about Guitar Center coming to my town. But since it is here now I might as well take advantage of it. They are generally open later than most music stores. So hypothetically if I needed a set of strings on the way to a gig I could possibly stop by Guitar Center and get a set. I will buy accessories from them when I need them in a pinch. But most of the time I would rather shop at mom & pop stores around town. And I am pretty sure that I would not buy a high dollar or vintage guitar from Guitar Center.

i wish the one in my town was... it closes at 6

#14 tdintbl

tdintbl

The one and only Billy Shears

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts
  • Original Name: tdintbl

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:01 PM

I have the same complaints about the horrible tangled mess inexperienced or lazy guitarists leave in Guitar Centers. Every guitar is out of tune, every length of instrument cable horribly knotted up, and every amped tweaked to God knows what. However, for the incredible selection at the average Guitar Center, I just deal with it and make gratuitous use of the tuner pedals back in the Effects area. That's what I enjoy about Guitar Center, incredible selection. They far surpass any localized store I've ever been into as far as selection of things goes.

Soundclick: Because I must join the herd!
"Home: where thought's escaping, home: where my music's playing, home: where my wife lies waiting silently for me."

#15 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (tdintbl @ Aug 13 2006, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the same complaints about the horrible tangled mess inexperienced or lazy guitarists leave in Guitar Centers. Every guitar is out of tune, every length of instrument cable horribly knotted up, and every amped tweaked to God knows what. However, for the incredible selection at the average Guitar Center, I just deal with it and make gratuitous use of the tuner pedals back in the Effects area. That's what I enjoy about Guitar Center, incredible selection. They far surpass any localized store I've ever been into as far as selection of things goes.

Yes they do have a large selection. Since I only buy Gibson or Taylor guitars 99% of the time, there is a local shop that carries those and have more of a selection of those 2 brands than anything else.

#16 pink_floyd

pink_floyd
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Original Name: pink_floyd

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

ouch that gibson was nice
Be something or be nothing

The cryptic and the obvious collide painfully

Fu Manchu rawk end of arguement Fu Manchu tabs

#17 imme

imme
  • GZ Regular
  • 13,149 posts
  • Original Name: imme

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

Ours opened Feb of this year, not too much to say about the place, they need a booth to play at volume in as has been said of most of their stores.
Henri's, long the staple of our area, hasn't lost any sleep.

Awarded to Imme for outstanding dedication to Fine Signatures:

"Aren't you past the age where people have sex anyway? You're in your 40's, after all" - circuspeanuts
"You must have forgotten that we bought you ear plugs?" - Imme
"Yeeeaaahhh weelll, they didn't work very well" - circuspeanuts

#18 systemdelsilencio

systemdelsilencio
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Original Name: systemdelsilencio

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:16 PM

Guitar Center Rocks. Sam Ash however is one store which has horrible customer support. In Guitar Center on the other hand the people are really helpfull and they are willing to help you with a discount. Even the show off rep that I made a thread about was a helpful rep.

#19 rweezera

rweezera
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Original Name: rweezera

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (systemdelsilencio @ Aug 14 2006, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guitar Center Rocks. Sam Ash however is one store which has horrible customer support. In Guitar Center on the other hand the people are really helpfull and they are willing to help you with a discount. Even the show off rep that I made a thread about was a helpful rep.

its the opposite at my store. the sam ash down the shopping center is much friendlier and more helpful. guitar center still has a better selection and nothing is behind the counter or locked up, so i still go there instead.

#20 BuckinghamFan

BuckinghamFan
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,544 posts
  • Original Name: buckinghamfan

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

Guitar Center sucks. The salespeople usually arent friendly, or won't let you play anything without hovering over you. Plus, the prices are way high. Get your guitar off the net and save a couple hundred bucks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...