36 replies to this topic

#21 billy16

billy16
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • Original Name: billy16

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

I've never been to a guitar center and probably won't. For one, the nearest guitar center is about 2 hours away. Secondly, I can buy things online for much cheaper.

#22 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Original Name: kkatarn327

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

I like GC. I have a small independent store by me, which I LOVE, it's so awesome, but the only problem is that he closes really early. So, about 90% when I'm out to get stuff, he's closed, so I have to go on down to GC.

I buy strings, picks, straps, etc from GC no problem. But if I were to buy a guitar, I am pretty sure I won't get it from GC. For my standards, all the guitars there are in bad condition (knob missing on pup switch, pup binding broken, scratches, machine heads way out of whack, etc, in other words enough to label them as 'used'; and those were only the problems for yesterday's visit... however, for me, one very very small scratch really bothers me, so...), and they still sell them at used price. Next time I'm in a market for a new guitar, I'd go to GC to try it out, then buy from Musician's Friend or that other store I mentioned, if they have it. That is the only way I KNOW that the guitar will be in perfect condition when I get it. I do NOT want to pay full price for a guitar if I'm not getting 100% of what I'm paying for.

#23 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (systemdelsilencio @ Aug 13 2006, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guitar Center Rocks. Sam Ash however is one store which has horrible customer support. In Guitar Center on the other hand the people are really helpfull and they are willing to help you with a discount. Even the show off rep that I made a thread about was a helpful rep.

I have to agree. Sam Ash service sucks. They also try to get you on that stupid setup plan which I did by mistake years ago. I took my guitar in and they said it would be ready in 1 to 2 weeks. WTF?? 1 to 2 weeks? Not that it really matters to me now since I have plenty of guitars to fall back on but at the time, all I had was that guitar.

Then last week I went to check on a vocal harmonizer. the guy said he would be w/ me in 5 minutes. 5 minutes went by and he said that there were 2 people ahead of me and he'll get w./ me in 10 min. 20 min went by and I walked out of the store.

#24 tdintbl

tdintbl

The one and only Billy Shears

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts
  • Original Name: tdintbl

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:23 PM

I find myself not liking the idea of ordering online. I don't even like the idea of playing the store demo of a guitar and then getting a new one from the back. I find to much variation in guitars even of the same brand so basically if I like a guitar then I like THAT particular guitar that I was just playing, not another of the same model.

Soundclick: Because I must join the herd!
"Home: where thought's escaping, home: where my music's playing, home: where my wife lies waiting silently for me."

#25 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Original Name: guru of rock n roll

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

I`d never buy a guitar without playing it unless I had it special order from Gibson or Fender.I never would buy one from the internet peroid new or used.
Posted Image

#26 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (guru of rock n roll @ Aug 15 2006, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I`d never buy a guitar without playing it unless I had it special order from Gibson or Fender.I never would buy one from the internet peroid new or used.

the only guitar(s) I would ever buy sight unseen are Taylors from the Internet. They literally all feel exactly the same to me and one of the few companies that can boast about out of the box playability.

#27 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Original Name: guru of rock n roll

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Aug 15 2006, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (guru of rock n roll @ Aug 15 2006, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the only guitar(s) I would ever buy sight unseen are Taylors from the Internet. They literally all feel exactly the same to me and one of the few companies that can boast about out of the box playability.

I`ll have to try one
Posted Image

#28 Metalfan320

Metalfan320

I've been kicked in the nuts more than any man alive!

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Original Name: Metalfan320

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

the only music store i went to that really sucked was drome sound. yuck sadbuttrue.gif
"Mercy is not truth, your sins are next to mine." Dimmu Borgir- The Invaluable Darkness

"In the world there's lots of piggies, living piggy lives..."-kkatarn327

"Making a volcano isn't that much harder than making a bomb"- C.S.I

"When you're trying to lose weight you don't mind starving."- AcousticSmash

Check out my myspace. www.myspace.com/garrettdr320

I keep you up at night because you know my life is better than your's.

#29 jumping_jack_splash

jumping_jack_splash
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts
  • Original Name: jumping_jack_splash

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

after my time in NYC, i have discovered that the U.S.A are much better for both vintage and production line made guitars, both in price and selection

We're all going to be just dirt in the ground.

#30 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (jumping_jack_splash @ Aug 16 2006, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
after my time in NYC, i have discovered that the U.S.A are much better for both vintage and production line made guitars, both in price and selection

Well the steel string and electric guitars are an American thing.

#31 EXTREMEGUITAR

EXTREMEGUITAR
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Original Name: EXTREMEGUITAR

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

In response to the questions about guitar center for those of you who dont have it, its a chain of large music stores about the US and some other parts of the world. The stores usually have hundreds of guitars, books, DJ equipment, keyboards, drums etc. It is usually a place where people who like to rock out to mindless distorted bashing for 30+ minutes straight with the volume at 9 on the amplike to hang out. You can probably get a good deal on a decent guitar there, and they even have some high end. The only thing is that the high end guitars are mistreated and get shop worn many many times faster than a normal music store. Yea it can be convenient at times, but it usually puts smaller places out of business or forces them to make measly profits on their guitars to keep the price down.

#32 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (EXTREMEGUITAR @ Aug 16 2006, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In response to the questions about guitar center for those of you who dont have it, its a chain of large music stores about the US and some other parts of the world. The stores usually have hundreds of guitars, books, DJ equipment, keyboards, drums etc. It is usually a place where people who like to rock out to mindless distorted bashing for 30+ minutes straight with the volume at 9 on the amplike to hang out. You can probably get a good deal on a decent guitar there, and they even have some high end. The only thing is that the high end guitars are mistreated and get shop worn many many times faster than a normal music store. Yea it can be convenient at times, but it usually puts smaller places out of business or forces them to make measly profits on their guitars to keep the price down.

That's why I buy my stuff from an independent. I go to GC to see what I want and buy it locally and I ALWAYS get a better price than the GC/Musician's Friend Price.

For those that also don't know, Musician's Friend (www.musiciansfriend.com) and Guitar Center are the same entity.

#33 destructoet

destructoet
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Original Name: destructoet

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

Ok, all about the "The customer service at GC sucks" it is 75% based on the person themselves, 15% based on management, and 10% based on the other customer jacka$$es that are being to jerks to the people. To actually get a person that gives a flying F* about your busness is a 3 in 10 shot, so the other seven are off somewhere being tards, and the 3 people are getting dumped with idot customers, and trying to do the other 7 peoples work.

Sorry, for the angry ranting, but it is true. I work at McDonald's and see all the customer service working first hand.

MAIN POINT (finally says all who actually read the start tongue.gif) : Some GC rock, and some are pathetic, it depends on the people.
Flogging Molly

#34 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

Overall I find Guitar Center to be the musical equipment equivalent of Wal-Mart.

#35 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

ugh, don't get me started on it. Is it Walmart or Target... they have guitars, in boxes, stacked, on shelves, with evvefts pedals in plastic casings hanign on walls. That's just wrong.

mellowno.gif

#36 rweezera

rweezera
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Original Name: rweezera

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

a lot about wal-mart is wrong...

#37 guitarguy2001

guitarguy2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...