3. Rollin' and Tumblin'
4. When the Deal Goes Down
5. Someday Baby
6. Workingman's Blues #2
7. Beyond the Horizon
8. Nettie Moore
9. The Levee's Gonna Break
10. Ain't Talkin'

Produced by: Jack Frost (pseudonym for Dylan)

In his latest Rolling Stone interview, Bob Dylan was quoted as saying "This is the best band I've ever been in, I've ever had, man for man." Quite a compliment coming from someone who's been backed by not only the best session men of the sixties, but The Grateful Dead, The Heartbreakers, and of course The Band. However, after listening to "Modern Times" and "Love and Theft" it really is hard to argue with him. He not only has found a band that can lay down an interesting backdrop to his at times epic poem-like lyrics, but create such good music that it stands up against Dylan's brilliant lyrics as an almost equal competitor for your attention.
Instantly the high level of musicianship is evident on "Thunder on the Mountain". It opens with short punctuated drum fills that bring to mind Cream's "White Room" but instead of Clapton's psychedelic phase, the guitar sound throughout is more in the style of someone like Chet Atkins playing twelve bar blues. Dylan's first line is introduced with a brilliant cymbal wash that sounds like it could be the rock n' roll equivalent of a gong being banged before Confucius speaks. But that first line "Thunder on the mountain and a fire in the moon/the river's in the alley and the sun will be consumed" sounds more like John the Revelator.
"Rollin' and Tumblin'" is basically a really great cover of the Muddy Waters classic from 1950. Dylan leaves the chorus as is, but writes completely new verses all his own (certainly the original didn't contain the line about how "some young, lazy slut has charmed away my brains"). The subject matter of the original does remain the same however, with Dylan rattling off lines that sound like they were pulled directly off any classic Delta blues tune ("warm weather's coming in/the bug's are on the vine/ain't nothing more depressing than trying to satisfy this woman of mine"). In fact, this really just exemplifies how Dylan has reinvented himself once again as a bluesman over the last three albums. The entire subject matter of his last three albums has been the subject matter of the Delta blues: religion and women.
Every one of the hard blues songs on "Modern Times" contains the best soloing on a Bob Dylan studio album since "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat" - and by soloing I don't mean just one solo stuck in between the words somewhere, but splattered throughout the songs naturally, never once sounding forced. On "Someday Baby" is where it peaks. The fuzzy guitar tone just glows, making you want to kill for whatever vintage tube amp the guitarist had to have been be using, and the rhythm just cooks. This is one of the rare Dylan tunes where the music just slightly edges out the words in terms of pure listening pleasure. Even Dylan's singing is way above par here, especially listen to the line "So many good things in life/that I've overlooked/I don't know what to do/baby you got me soooo hooked" and try and say that Dylan's voice isn't just improving with age.
"The Levee's Gonna Break" is another cover of a classic blues song, this time Memphis Minnie's classic "When the Levee Breaks." The verses are completely Dylan's own, but again the chorus is the same as the original made so famous by Led Zeppelin. Of course before even listening to the song people are going to try and say it has to do with Katrina, but the lyrics have more to do with love and the apocalypse than anything as simple as a natural disaster. Take for instance the line "Put on your camp clothes mama/put on your evening dress/few more years of hard work then there'll be a thousand years of happiness." Even an atheist like myself knows what he's talking about. And then there's the final line "some people still sin and some are wide awake."
The subtle apocalyptic messages of "The Levee's Gonna Break" perfectly set up for the eight minute plus epic closer, "Ain't Talkin." The feel is the same as "Time Out of Mind's "Highlands", but Dylan's lyrical flow never gets disrupted for a six minute retelling of a conversation with a waitress. The imagery in the song is dark, dangerous, and not very hopeful. Picture Dylan walking down a lonely path through the Mystic Garden, in the cities of the plague. His sick mule and blind horse are walking by his side. At one point he is hit from behind by an unknown stranger. Bad idea - the Dylan here is no one to mess with, he waits for his opponents to be caught sleeping and then slaughter's them where they lie. Dylan also manages to fit in some of his usual subtle sarcastic wit, this time directed at his disillusion with the trappings of fame - "well the whole world is filled with speculation/the whole wide world which people say is round/they will tear your mind away from contemplation/they will jump on your misfortune when you?re down?someday you'll be glad to have me around." Later he returns to religion, reaffirming his status as a diehard Christian, but still distancing himself from any organized view of it - "ain't no altars on this lonesome road" Really I could go on and on about this song, which is the crown jewel of the set, with every new verse being a revelation. Musically the song is even more menacing than "Highlands" with the addition of a perfectly minimalist use of lurking viola, even though it ends with a happy crescendo, it only adds to the feel of apocalypse like it was a musical representation of Jesus returning.
"Modern Times" is Dylan's third straight masterpiece in a row and only cements the fact that his current period can only be compared to his inspired 1964-66 run. Certainly you could argue that with 4-5 years between albums it's nowhere near as prolific, but when the albums are this shockingly and consistently brilliant song after song who cares? To quote the review in Rolling Stone, "there is no precedent for the territory Dylan is now opening with albums that stand alongside the accomplishments of his wild youth." The only person to even come close is (as always) Neil Young. Dylan himself, in the same interview, when asked about this being the third part of a trilogy beginning with "Time Out of Mind" gives the best description of how great "Modern Times" really is: "Time Out of Mind" was me getting back in and fighting my way out of the corner [referring to his second infamous "dry period" after 1989's "Oh, Mercy" where he didn't release any original material]"on this record, I ain't nowhere, you can't find me anywhere, because I'm WAY gone from the corner."

#2 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,789 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:30 AM

I like, the "Time Out Of Mind trilogy theory" -- I've only heard "Spirit on the Water" so far, and found that sound very similar to the "Love and Theft" atmosphere. At last he's decided to produce himself. Only him can do It.

#3 crappy_acoustic

crappy_acoustic
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • Original Name: crappy_acoustic

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:17 AM

Yeah I should have said something about "Spirit on the Water" and "Workingmans Blues #2" and "Nettie Moore" those songs are also amazing...

#4 eric van will

eric van will
  • 46 posts
  • Original Name: eric van will

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:06 AM

Yeah I should have said something about "Spirit on the Water" and "Workingmans Blues #2" and "Nettie Moore" those songs are also amazing...

I remember just before Time Out of Mind came out Bob had "nearly met with Elvis" as he put it. I thought that album was explicitly dealing with death and spoke like the conclusion of his career, and as such it was and is a classic. As these thankfully proved not to be his last words it seems like Bob has gone on speaking them. For me this gives him a lyrical and musical confidence of one with nothing to prove. long may it continue.

I Am Heap - Soundclick
Sick Note Flat - Myspace
Sick Note Flat - Soundclick

#5 michael_stipe

michael_stipe
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Original Name: michael_stipe

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:22 AM

this album is so good it hurts

Stipe: hmm... who's that sexy young fox i wonder...
Yorke: help me

songs

#6 crappy_acoustic

crappy_acoustic
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:13 AM

this album is so good it hurts

Fo shizzle.

#7 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,789 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:48 AM

I've finally put my hand on it and been listening to it for a couple of days. The more I listened the more it became apparent how delicately beautiful this album can be. Tracks like ' Workingman's Blues #2' and ' Nettie Moore' are disturbingly fantastics. I was sold since ' Thunder on the Mountain' and 'Spirit on the Water' anyway. Dylan Is at the pick of his art here. And his songwriting can no longer be compared to anyone but his. This album is truly a great masterpiece, and your review his doing justice to it. Naturally I'll retract from what I said in my first comment 'Modern Times' is unique. I can't remember when was the last time I've been that impressed by a new release. Good job.

#8 metallicac/dc

metallicac/dc

Θηρόποσα Χε

• GZ Regular
  • 20,354 posts
  • Original Name: metallicac/dc

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

His voice sounds even worse on the album tongue.gif but it's ok and has a few good songs.
Posted Image

#9 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,789 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

His voice... It's the voice of experience, It's been set that way afer 40+ years of gigs and recordings and It's what we all expect to hear after all he'd been through. It's a real voice singing about real things. It's like his band also incredibly experienced. So It's no wonder he was quoted saying "This is the best band I've ever been in, I've ever had, man for man." Him who played with Grateful Dead and The Band!

#10 Blugh Grant

Blugh Grant

Played by Adrien Brody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,570 posts
  • Original Name: blueswannabe

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:12 PM

"Spirit on the water", "When the deal goes down" and "Nettie Moore" are beautifully tender (yup, he can still do tender); "Thunder on the mountain", "Rolling and tumbling" and "When the levee breaks" are his best blues in ages (yup, he can still do blues); "Workingman blues #2" rises above cheesy lighter-waving anthem and out-Springsteens Springsteen (yup, he can still do socially aware). "On the Horizon" sounds more like a reprise of "Love and Theft" to me, and is the only song i was slightly disappointed by. All in all, an album more fantastic than we deserve.
Good review there, Mr Crappy.

Edited by blueswannabe, 12 September 2006 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

there seems to be an objective reality that a determined individual can penetrate if he is willing to challenge the confining chimeras of markets and machines

It was written that I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice

http://theonlythingy...d.blogspot.com/

#11 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,789 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

I've been hooked to "Modern Times" since I've heard It first in full! There are a few tracks emerging and stuck in my mind: " Spirit on the Water" and " Beyond the Horizon" are two fine example.... But now I've decided that the last track, " Ain't Talkin'" Is definitely my fav off this album (this album actually fits to my present mood). Can't get enough of It, apparently. I remember liking "Love and Theft" but not as much as "Modern Times".

#12 crappy_acoustic

crappy_acoustic
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

I just thought I'd take this oppurtunity to brag...

I'm going to see Dylan live, with the Foo Fighters opening (an all acoustic set I heard), on November 7 in Toronto. Yep, road trip to Canada for two days AND I get to see Dylan. Damn, life is GOOD.

#13 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,789 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:50 PM

That's bloody cool, and I am jealous. I've heard some last year's Dylan bootlegs at Fort Lauderdale Texas.The band was in great form, and so was he. I like It best when he does the oldies. Keep us posted please and tell us which track from "Modern Time" sounds best live. Tabbers have made a great job of it by the way.

#14 crappy_acoustic

crappy_acoustic
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

That's bloody cool, and I am jealous. I've heard some last year's Dylan bootlegs at Fort Lauderdale Texas.The band was in great form, and so was he. I like It best when he does the oldies. Keep us posted please and tell us which track from "Modern Time" sounds best live. Tabbers have made a great job of it by the way.

well i've been having computer trouble, this is the first time i've checked back in....

so the concert was f'ing amazing. the Foo Fighter's killed the acoustic set. even better, right near the end of their set this canadian couple lit up a spliff of the most amazing smelling weed ever. I of course leaned over, said it smelled great, they let me hit it.....it was CHOCOLATE weed. it tasted like chocolate....soooooo good. wow. 2 hits and i was stoned for the whole concert. during the intermission my friends and i were so baked we walked past the escalator we were supposed to take at least 5 times. but anyway...right after that spliff dave grohl kicked off the greatest version of 'everlong' you'll ever hear.
then dylan comes on....wow. Every old song he played was reworked masterfully. 'Master's of War' was amazing. I could go on and on they were all great....wow. You HAVE to see him Dorio. You really really do. I don't want to try and describe it it's so good.
Plus, the girl's in canada are nice too.

#15 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,789 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:00 PM

well i've been having computer trouble, this is the first time i've checked back in....

so the concert was f'ing amazing. the Foo Fighter's killed the acoustic set. even better, right near the end of their set this canadian couple lit up a spliff of the most amazing smelling weed ever. I of course leaned over, said it smelled great, they let me hit it.....it was CHOCOLATE weed. it tasted like chocolate....soooooo good. wow. 2 hits and i was stoned for the whole concert. during the intermission my friends and i were so baked we walked past the escalator we were supposed to take at least 5 times. but anyway...right after that spliff dave grohl kicked off the greatest version of 'everlong' you'll ever hear.
then dylan comes on....wow. Every old song he played was reworked masterfully. 'Master's of War' was amazing. I could go on and on they were all great....wow. You HAVE to see him Dorio. You really really do. I don't want to try and describe it it's so good.

Ahah chocolate weed + Foo Fighters as bonus = freakin' awesome. (Perhaps it was the paper that had this chocolate flavour. They sell strawberry and other flavoured rolling paper in the head shops.) Sounds like you had a really great time in Canada. Would really like to visit there once. Good friends of mine will see Bob Dylan in Switzerland in July, and they're already very exited. Alas I won't be there to attend. But if Bob's still on the road in 2008, (which is most likely cauz he seems to have found the band he wanted) that is when I will catch him somewhere in Europe.

#16 Irenic Retral

Irenic Retral
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Original Name: Irenic Retral

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:21 PM

I like the remake of Rollin' and Tumblin' he did from The Canned Heat. Someday Baby is also good.

B.B. King

Grateful Dead

#17 crappy_acoustic

crappy_acoustic
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

Ahah chocolate weed + Foo Fighters as bonus = freakin' awesome. (Perhaps it was the paper that had this chocolate flavour. They sell strawberry and other flavoured rolling paper in the head shops.) Sounds like you had a really great time in Canada. Would really like to visit there once. Good friends of mine will see Bob Dylan in Switzerland in July, and they're already very exited. Alas I won't be there to attend. But if Bob's still on the road in 2008, (which is most likely cauz he seems to have found the band he wanted) that is when I will catch him somewhere in Europe.

Yeah it could have been chocolate papers, but the people told me it was specifically chocolate weed. Not only that but at the time I was a VERY heavy smoker and there's no way that anything but some seriously crazy sh!t could have got me that high for that long off of 2 hits. Best concert of my life, hands down. "Everlong" was seven minutes long at LEAST, started with Grohl solo, worked up into epic, full band greatness. I'm so glad to see Bob he could have done nothing more than come out and took a sh!t on a timpani and I would have loved it. But his set was amazing. Wish he would have played some guitar, he stayed at the piano the whole time. But he was rockin' that piano, jumping and jivin' Little Richard style at times, just like those biographies about him say he used to do back in the day, I loved that. Now I gotta see Neil Young, hope he comes anywhere near Cleveland in the near future cause I'm there.

#18 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,789 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:46 AM

Yeah it could have been chocolate papers, but the people told me it was specifically chocolate weed. Not only that but at the time I was a VERY heavy smoker and there's no way that anything but some seriously crazy sh!t could have got me that high for that long off of 2 hits. Best concert of my life, hands down. "Everlong" was seven minutes long at LEAST, started with Grohl solo, worked up into epic, full band greatness. I'm so glad to see Bob he could have done nothing more than come out and took a sh!t on a timpani and I would have loved it. But his set was amazing. Wish he would have played some guitar, he stayed at the piano the whole time. But he was rockin' that piano, jumping and jivin' Little Richard style at times, just like those biographies about him say he used to do back in the day, I loved that. Now I gotta see Neil Young, hope he comes anywhere near Cleveland in the near future cause I'm there.

He stayed at the piano jumpin and jivin the whole gig? I didn't know he was doing that but now I do. Sounds like you was too high to take pictures. As for Neil Young, that's another one of my eternal regret/frustrastion, never saw Neil performing live.... last time he was in Paris I was away (as always) and he played there with Steven Stills and David Crosby in person. Graham Nash had an accident with his boat in California and 2 broken legs.

#19 crappy_acoustic

crappy_acoustic
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:41 AM

He stayed at the piano jumpin and jivin the whole gig? I didn't know he was doing that but now I do. Sounds like you was too high to take pictures. As for Neil Young, that's another one of my eternal regret/frustrastion, never saw Neil performing live.... last time he was in Paris I was away (as always) and he played there with Steven Stills and David Crosby in person. Graham Nash had an accident with his boat in California and 2 broken legs.

Well...he was at the piano the whole time, but he wasn't exactly acting like Jerry Lee Lewis the ENTIRE time. And lol I wasn't too high for pics just too far away. That weed was crazy though, during the intermission between the Foo Fighters and Bob me and my friend went down to the smoking area to get more weed (this is right after smoking, before we realized how high we were) and had to find the escalator to get down and ended up walking back and forth past it no less than 7 times before finding it.

#20 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,789 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Well...he was at the piano the whole time, but he wasn't exactly acting like Jerry Lee Lewis the ENTIRE time. And lol I wasn't too high for pics just too far away. That weed was crazy though, during the intermission between the Foo Fighters and Bob me and my friend went down to the smoking area to get more weed (this is right after smoking, before we realized how high we were) and had to find the escalator to get down and ended up walking back and forth past it no less than 7 times before finding it.

That's the kind of stuff you remember all your life. Like that time you saw Dylan and you and your friends walked past the escalator 7 times (ain't that modern times? lol) cauz the weed was too good. Pity about the pics. I'm listening to alot of Dylan classics these days (esp 'blonde on blonde') but this thread reminded me about 'modern times'. So it, and ''love and theft,' will play on my player for the next few days I guess. But the early albums still have a great impact on me. Nostalgia.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...