4 8 15 16 23 42

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Original Name: ravaging

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (junior01 @ Feb 2 2007, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ravaging @ Feb 2 2007, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i play with economy picking, it's easier and saves movement. although according to junior my word is no good anymore... you can do it either way though, whatever works best for you.

That's not true and you know it. What i said is that the guy in the video (and certainly not you) didn't use a good technique. I know that you can play Rav and believe me, i would never belittle anything you say just for the sake of it. you know me and you know I'm all for open discussion.

and to junior, i was saying my thumb ends up under the B or E string if i'm playing something that only uses the upper 3 strings. other than that, my thumb rests on the B string. whether your thumb moves or not won't affect your speed at all. i also didn't say anything about muting strings with my thumb...
Again, I'm really sorry that you took my comment on a personal level. I was merely commenting on the video...

Patzor: Yep, i also play "economically" or as i prefer to say "with a follow trough". Anyway keep at it, the magic word is practicing. Eventually you'll find your comfort zone and it'll come as a second nature.

ohhhhhh my bad. i didn't see the video links =P

Edited by ravaging, 03 February 2007 - 12:20 AM.

#22 junior01

junior01

Fender dog rocks!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Original Name: junior01

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:01 AM

And my bad too, t'was gravitas who posted the video. I was under the impression t'was you...

Anyway all is good hug.gif
CEO and founder of the 'Fender Player's Club'!
Owner of the "Get your dog to tell others to play xyz brand" trademark. ;)
IPB Image

#23 gravitas

gravitas
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,940 posts
  • Original Name: gravitas

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, I probably should have watched that one all the way through. My bad cheers.gif

#24 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:15 AM

I used to play bass for a few years before I migrated to the lead guitar...
I used to either use a pick, or play with my thumb and sometimes first finger - never really learned with the other fingers. I then moved onto lead guitar (which I use the pick basically all the time), which then lead to me learning classical guitar (fingers only - all of them).
Classcial guitar involves strict alternating between sets of two fingers for lead passages in a piece. To play it properly, the players right-hand nails must be longer to achieve a crisper sound. When I still played a bit of bass using the fingers (ike you guys were posting about in this thread) I kept my nails short - and now I have to keep them long for classcial guitar dry.gif . The only way I adapted was to use them long for both. Although I didn't like the tone for bass, I got used to it and don't mind it anymore.
At first it was really frustrating to alternate pick (using fingers) with the right hand; after much practice, I could say my right hand speed is almost as fast as Billy Sheehan's (literally), but not as versatile. I just recently noticed an improvement in my right hand speed (last few weeks).

I play bass with my right hand relatively straight with the fingers hitting the strings while they're straightened. I only curve them for classical guitar.
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#25 paTz0r

paTz0r
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Original Name: paTz0r

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

Heh, I had forgotten that I even made this thread. Anyway, thanks to all who helped me get on my feet, my bass playing is smoothly improving all the time.

As far as building right hand speed, do you have any tips or drills other than the typical chromatic stuff used by everyone? I am focused on building usable speed, not just being able to run up chromatic scales in 140bpm sixteenth notes or something like that. I try to play bass lines by Rush, but Geddy has some darn tough ones for a semi beginner.
user posted image
My Rig: From left to right: 2000 MIA Fender Strat, (Brother's) 2004 Gibson SG Standard, 2003? Marshall AVT275, 2004 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Martin D-16GT. Pedals - Boss DD6, MT2, TU2, Dunlop 535Q Wah.

#26 junior01

junior01

Fender dog rocks!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Original Name: junior01

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

Squeezing a tennis ball is a good way to help build strong fingers and therefore give you both faster speed and better stamina.
CEO and founder of the 'Fender Player's Club'!
Owner of the "Get your dog to tell others to play xyz brand" trademark. ;)
IPB Image

#27 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (junior01 @ Apr 15 2007, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Squeezing a tennis ball is a good way to help build strong fingers and therefore give you both faster speed and better stamina.

Don't do anything harder though. I used to work out and the weight I used put strain on my hands. I stopped due to lazyness and noticed my speed skyrocketed to about 100 times faster than I used to be... If you do any weights, make sure they are light and heavy enough just to feel a slight pull. Don't do any hard labor involving the hands!
When you say 'right hand' are you a left-handed player as in the photos, cause I'm geting confused...
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#28 pavel0

pavel0
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: pavel0

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

Heh, I had forgotten that I even made this thread. Anyway, thanks to all who helped me get on my feet, my bass playing is smoothly improving all the time.

As far as building right hand speed, do you have any tips or drills other than the typical chromatic stuff used by everyone? I am focused on building usable speed, not just being able to run up chromatic scales in 140bpm sixteenth notes or something like that. I try to play bass lines by Rush, but Geddy has some darn tough ones for a semi beginner.

The one pitfall that I implore you to avoid, if you or any other beginners are reading this, is to not fall into the lazy right hand trap. Do not rest your thumb on your low string or pickup, just don't, unless you want to handicap yourself. You can generate all the pluck you need with your wrist floating over the strings. It is ok to use your thumb for muting, but it is poor form to leave it there all the time. By "anchoring" your thumb you end up forming an arch with your wrist and limit your freedom of motion, which is bad. It is far more ideal to keep your wrist flatter instead of arched. You will avoid developing tendonitis and it will improve both your chops and your speed. Need proof? Hold your arm straight out in front of you parallel to the ground (kinda like a nazi salute but not angled up). Now try and make your wrist perpendicular to the ground while keeping your arm parallel to the ground. Feel that pinch in your wrist? That's your tendons asking you to stop being such a jerk to them.

If your wrist is forming an arch over the strings, (a common mistake, even amongst those who have played for years and feel content to give advice on how to play bass, apparently) then you can improve your technique simply by being aware of this and not doing it. Usually this requires holding your elbow up a little higher than you are probably used to. Here's why this is so important; the tendons in your wrist that connect the muscles in your forearm pass through the center of your wrist and run to your fingers. When you form an arch, you are placing a lot of unnecessary strain on these tendons, which impedes your ability to move your fingers and can even damage your tendons and lead to inflammation. If your wrist is ever sore after playing, this is probably the culprit.

I realize that this is a very old thread but it's never too late to give good advice and correct poor form. Following this one simple rule will improve your speed, comfort, and endurance by leaps and bounds. Oddly enough this can be a problem as well with the left hand, particularly on the upright, so always keep in mind how your wrists are positioned--you want to work with your body and not against it.

Now I realize that people have personal styles; I remember seeing the bassist for the Count Bassie Band, who was self taught, and I was very impressed with his playing, but I am certain that he would have been better if he had been taught a few fundamentals early on. I think that's true for anyone, even if they are a virtuoso in spite of crappy form.

This is a tough habit to break, and your right arm will feel tired since you aren't letting it rest like it's used to, but you will get over it with practice and awareness.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...