- - - - -

Help with pinky

14 replies to this topic

#1 biglew_11

biglew_11
  • 22 posts
  • Original Name: biglew_11

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

what is a good way to work on pinky range of motion and flexability? It always just wants to follow my other fingers.

#2 shunter

shunter
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Original Name: shunter

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

scales, sequences up scale patterns, arpeggios up scale patterns, blues shuffle bass lines

#3 mattemery2704

mattemery2704
  • 24 posts
  • Original Name: mattemery2704

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

Yh just practice going up and down the strings using all 4 fingers. Like this:

E--1--2--3--4-------------------------------------------------------------------
A----------------1--2--3--4-----------------------------------------------------
D-----------------------------1--2--3--4----------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------1--2--3--4---------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------1--2--3--4---------------
e---------------------------------------------------------------------1--2--3--4-

And then do the opposite going back up.

Begin by practising slowly, then build your speed up. Also consider doing just the 3rd and 4th fingering (frets 3&4) to build strength in your third and pinky fingers.

Hope this helps. guitar.gif

#4 OneLostGuitarist

OneLostGuitarist
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • Location:Inside a rubber room, I have advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage.
  • Original Name: OneLostGuitarist

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

I have looked around and I haven't seen anything that helps. The only thing that has helped me is practice I'm better now with it but I still have a problem. With it being slow to hit the sting after my third finger has hit. I only have this problem when I' playing up the neck as long as my pinky starts off it's fine but if it's the last to fret it's slow.

Edited by OneLostGuitarist, 19 February 2007 - 12:35 PM.

#5 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (mattemery2704 @ Feb 19 2007, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

E--1--2--3--4-------------------------------------------------------------------
A----------------1--2--3--4-----------------------------------------------------
D-----------------------------1--2--3--4----------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------1--2--3--4---------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------1--2--3--4---------------
e---------------------------------------------------------------------1--2--3--4-

Begin by practising slowly, then build your speed up. Also consider doing just the 3rd and 4th fingering (frets 3&4) to build strength in your third and pinky fingers.

YUP. Make sure you use a metronome though. Practicing without a time device is just wasting your time.

#6 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Original Name: guru of rock n roll

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Feb 19 2007, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YUP. Make sure you use a metronome though. Practicing without a time device is just wasting your time.

Really. No joking
Posted Image

#7 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (guru of rock n roll @ Feb 19 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really. No joking

You would be suprised how many folks don`t use a metronome. I myself did not use one untill a couple of years back, after a conversation with SOT. I was a drummer before i was a guitar player, and was able to keep good time, so i figured i would not need one. My timing is and was pretty good on guitar, but since using a metronome my presision has got so much better(and i expect my timing has as well). So i think the sarcasm is a little unwarrented here. biggrin.gif

#8 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

Use scales that use all four fingers like the chromatic. And just practice using it alot.
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#9 biglew_11

biglew_11
  • 22 posts
  • Original Name: biglew_11

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the input. I just got a metronome earlier this week and will use it like you said. guitar.gif

#10 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:41 AM

When you learn a new solo stick rigidly to the "one finger per fret" rule, you just need to get into the habit of using it. I didn't use it at all in my first 6 months of playing, not untill i made a conscious effort to, as I felt it was holding me back.

#11 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Feb 19 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (guru of rock n roll @ Feb 19 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really. No joking

You would be suprised how many folks don`t use a metronome. I myself did not use one untill a couple of years back, after a conversation with SOT. I was a drummer before i was a guitar player, and was able to keep good time, so i figured i would not need one. My timing is and was pretty good on guitar, but since using a metronome my presision has got so much better(and i expect my timing has as well). So i think the sarcasm is a little unwarrented here. biggrin.gif

I was dead serious. When I play things like that I never used it. That's why I said no joking. But cool I will from now on. happy.gif
Posted Image

#12 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:09 AM

the solo from Extreme's "Play with Me" is what forced me to start using mine. pretty much the whole solo is first finger and pinky

#13 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (guru of rock n roll @ Feb 20 2007, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was dead serious. When I play things like that I never used it. That's why I said no joking. But cool I will from now on. happy.gif

Really? You thought I was just BSing? HAHAHAHAHA

#14 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Feb 20 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is confusion on posts of franky and mine , but thanxs on that tip will keep it mind biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#15 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (guru of rock n roll @ Feb 20 2007, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ninjato @ Feb 20 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is confusion on posts of franky and mine , but thanxs on that tip will keep it mind biggrin.gif

Yeah, I developed a pretty keen sense of timing and it really helps your fingers build that timing into them.
Pick a tempo (80 bpm is pretty sufficient and even on the fast side)
So figuring 4/4 time, you play on the quarter note..this feels "slow" at 80bpm, then you play 2 notes per click (1/8 notes). All of a sudden at 80bpm the speed of your picking has doubled and also forcing you to really feel that upbeat.
The hard one is triplets. Now you are playing 3 notes per beat, that's already 12 notes per measure, your picking hand now is even more confused due to alternate picking, it will end up in the opposing position w/ every triplet, once you are on 16th note intervals, that's 16 notes per measure or 4 notes per beat, your picking hand now is smoking to keep up and depending on how fast the metronome is set, it gets to the point where you have to start visualizing picking groups to keeps your timing together....

Once you get the rhythm into the fingers, you apply this to scale patterns and arpeggios toachieve fluency in articulating those clearly and most importantly on time. I find this exercise takes care of those hard little passages in tunes where it requires a fast articulation and it's that part of the song that you are stuck on.

You can also reverse it and put the stress on your fretting hand and run the "1234" on each string per beat on 16th notes

Edited by ninjato, 20 February 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...