#1 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:35 AM

I decided to lower my action through my FR bridge, and since I was there I thought I may as well oil everything up (the studs - after I took my strings off). I am thinking of changing strings soon, but I'll probably leave these on for another week of intense practice...
So I decided to oil up a wrag and wipe the strings down with the oil - and they are sounding like new again - I don't know what happened but when I stringed the guitar up again (leaving the tuners with strings still on them since its a FR rolleyes.gif ) they seemed to have re-gain their 'zing' a little.
I'm one of those people who leave their strings on for at least 2 or 3 months, play intensely and they are still shiny; because I wipe them down after playing and don't lean and sweat on them like some people do.
This is interesting to see how a little light oil can revive old strings.
Any other ways of getting the life back out of them after a month ? (before they go rusty and dirty, like some I've seen)
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#2 aox

aox
  • 41 posts
  • Original Name: aox

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:16 AM

Some people use a little Kerry King (Slayer) trick and boil them in water, then leave them to dry and put them on again.

Never tried it but from what i've heard it works fine.

Greetz

#3 rweezera

rweezera
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Original Name: rweezera

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

i heard that boiling trick is best for bass strings. i dunno if that's be becuase they cost way more or because it works better on the larger strings.

#4 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (rweezera @ Mar 28 2007, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i heard that boiling trick is best for bass strings. i dunno if that's be becuase they cost way more or because it works better on the larger strings.

I like to have the best sound possible so if strings are at a point I need to boil them, it's time to get a new set. I understood a long time ago going into this hobby that strings are a necessary expense. That is why I chose to stick w/ WEBSTRINGS.

$2 a set is a lot better than $5+ a set.

I do splurge on Elixirs for my Taylor acoustics though but I buy in bulk so I get them at about $10 a set instead of $16 a set.

Edited by ninjato, 28 March 2007 - 09:41 AM.

#5 rweezera

rweezera
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Original Name: rweezera

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Mar 28 2007, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (rweezera @ Mar 28 2007, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like to have the best sound possible so if strings are at a point I need to boil them, it's time to get a new set. I understood a long time ago going into this hobby that strings are a necessary expense. That is why I chose to stick w/ WEBSTRINGS.

$2 a set is a lot better than $5+ a set.

I do splurge on Elixirs for my Taylor acoustics though but I buy in bulk so I get them at about $10 a set instead of $16 a set.

they really go together like they were made for each other.

#6 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have heard about boiling strings. And in my less affluent days I seriously considered it. But I have never actually done it. In fact I believe I started to do it once and even put the pot on the stove. But something in the back of my mind told me that what I should do was to go buy more strings.

I actually keep my strings on longer than most people do, sometimes close to a month. There is a certain feel they get when they get broken in. And I may play on a set like that for two or three weeks. Beyond that it just starts getting funky and nasty. But I rarely let it get to that point.

#7 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

I like strings after a week of playing. The are not super shiny and have lost there normal bright shiny tone.

I want to try the boiling trick, but never got around to it.
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#8 hellyea

hellyea
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Original Name: hellyea

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:23 PM

c'mon! i want someone to try the boiling thing!!
IPB Image

#9 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (hellyea @ Mar 29 2007, 05:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
c'mon! i want someone to try the boiling thing!!

I am a firm beliver that steel and water don`t mix!!

I use Gold coated strings, ala Optima/Maxima strings. They don't tarnish, and they are easier to keep clean, and feel good under the fingers, unlike Elixir strings. They work well for me as a guitar teacher, as i am back to playing 8 hours a day. biggrin.gif

#10 gravitas

gravitas
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,940 posts
  • Original Name: gravitas

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

Erm, what kind of oil is this?

#11 imadique

imadique

Betty when you call me you can call me Sal.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts
  • Original Name: imadique

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

2-3 months?? Mine get nasty and the acoustic strings start having tuning problems by 3 weeks, and I carefully scrub the strings down with an old shirt every time I play.

On the subject of bulk sellers though, I'd like to warn anyone in Australia from buying Puretone strings. They're bloody awful. I bought 10 acoustic and 5 electric sets, thinking they couldn't be too bad - I can't use the acoustic strings because the "G" in them buzzes like a mother (of invention), despite the fact that they're supposed to be exactly the same size as all the other brands I've used. They break easily too.

I pretty much never break strings, and I stupidly strung up my spare (electric) guitar with Puretone's for a gig, spending the usual amount of time breaking them in the day before like I always do. Come the night of the gig they're like brand new strings again - despite tuning right before the set, by the third song when I'd decided to use that guitar they were completely out again, and even though I'd tuned up before that song again it was out of tune by the time the G string decided to snap in the first verse!!

It wasn't a poor stringing job on my part, I know how to do it and once my strings are played in I never have a problem staying in tune.

I can't emphasise how crap these strings are. True, I've only used about 5 of the 15 packs I bought, but there's been only one good electric set out of those that I've used and it took a long time to break them in. Puretone - NO!

Sorry, felt like ranting over my wasted $100.

#12 -ism

-ism
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Original Name: -ism

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (gravitas @ Mar 28 2007, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lighter fluid? not sure... that'd be kinda crazy though.

My classical bass strings get dirty real fast. I wonder if boiling or trying the oil will revive the shine and the tone?

#13 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (-ism @ Mar 29 2007, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (gravitas @ Mar 28 2007, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lighter fluid? not sure... that'd be kinda crazy though.

My classical bass strings get dirty real fast. I wonder if boiling or trying the oil will revive the shine and the tone?

Cleaning them every time you use them should keep the good. A lot of folks don`t seem to realise that if you clean them, then they are gonna stay playable for so much longer.

#14 UFWHOA

UFWHOA
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Original Name: UFWHOA

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:25 PM

ok I'll just fill everyone in on MY experience with boiling strings. It works REALLY well to get rid of all the gunk and grime on the strings, it makes it shiny again. It does not do much at all to preserve the tuning stability of the strings though, it will still be a used string, just will sound much brighter for a short time (like for a few days or till the tuning stability gets worse). Because of this boiling idea, I've started to leave slightly a little extra length of string left over in the windings at the tuners so I can take the off...boil them if I have to and then string them back on with a little excess. So you know, this not a practice I'd do for gigs or anything like that at all. This would be done just for those moment where you don't have any spare strings, you don't feel like getting a new set, and it's even a guitar you just mess around with anyways.
I am very prone to typos, sorry

#15 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (UFWHOA @ Mar 29 2007, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This would be done just for those moment where you don't have any spare strings, you don't feel like getting a new set, and it's even a guitar you just mess around with anyways.

I always have spare strings on hand. I like to keep my stock "up". I hate not having strings to change.

#16 Riff_RaFF

Riff_RaFF
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Original Name: Riff_RaFF

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:03 AM

im gonna keep that in my for my friend who plays bass, he was showing me how expensive the strings were as long as this work it wood be great.
As Long As I Can Play,I'm Happy.

#17 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Riff_RaFF @ Mar 29 2007, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im gonna keep that in my for my friend who plays bass, he was showing me how expensive the strings were as long as this work it wood be great.

You don't have to change out bass string at the same frequency as you do guitar strings....especially if it is an electric bass. Maybe 4 times a year if you play a lot of bass. I have the same Elixir bass strings on my bass that I put on there 5 years ago....granted I maybe play my bass 3 times a year if that HAHAHAHAHA.

Bass strings cost around $40 a set for a good set. Your friend can't come up w/ $40 for a set of strings?

#18 Dennoire

Dennoire
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Original Name: Dennoire

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Mar 29 2007, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bass strings cost around $40 a set for a good set.

Wow im glad I dont play bass.

#19 Riff_RaFF

Riff_RaFF
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Original Name: Riff_RaFF

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

yes but like ninja said you have to change them less frequently and you would pay more for a guitar since the adverage rate i change is once a month,
As Long As I Can Play,I'm Happy.

#20 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

Some are much more exspensive then $40.
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...