- - - - -

3 questions in one postAbout my new guitar I just bought

6 replies to this topic

#1 OneLostGuitarist

OneLostGuitarist
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • Location:Inside a rubber room, I have advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage.
  • Original Name: OneLostGuitarist

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

Question# 1 I bought a harmony guitar model 02813 off from ebay. They said it was from the 70's is it? My guitar looks like the one in (one who rocks) sig he said his was from the early 90's mine looks just like his except mine has a rosewood fretboard. Does anyone know how this works it has two single coil pickups but no pickup selector? I'm guessing they will act like a hummbucker but the two single coil pickups has some distance between them. How will it sound? I have never seen anything like that before that's one of the reasons I bought it.

Question# 2 How hard would it be to replace my dot inlays with black ones?

Question# 3 Sorry about this one it's a stupid question I also feel embarrassed asking this. I mean it's like a 10 year old kid is asking this question.

I know how everybody feels about relabeling a guitar. I'm going to paint the headstock white to match the body. I don't want just a plane white headstock. The question is what name logo decal would be a good choice? if you have any ideals I would like to hear them

Here is some ideals that I like

The darkness is my favorite one so far. Then I will put the skull with the horns on the tip of the head stock

Edited by OneLostGuitarist, 11 April 2007 - 02:54 PM.

#2 nate.

nate.

Ay, yo, this rap is like ziti.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,546 posts
  • Original Name: Nater11

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (OneLostGuitarist @ Apr 11 2007, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question# 2 How hard would it be to replace my dot inlays with black ones?

Words from the wise from a recent-ish topic of mine. Thanks again for the help dadfad.

QUOTE (dadfad @ Mar 7 2007, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First, adding actual pearl or abalone dot-inlays is an EXTREMELY easy job. Dots come in several sizes (the price is about fifty-cents per pre-cut/pre-finished dot). All you do is get a drill the exact same size as the dot and drill a shallow hole in the fret-space on your neck (wrap a piece of tape around the drill a few times to prevent going too deep). Then put in a dab of glue in the hole. The dot will fit perfectly. Push it in flush and let it dry. Any glue, even Elmers or something is fine. Option two is even easier. A few years ago I went out of town to teach a guitar workshop and made the mistake of only taking one guitar and it had no dots. I should've brought one with dots (I think a teacher or instructor should always use a guitar with fret-markers as a courtesy to his students. Even if the student or class is made up of relatively experienced guitarists, it makes it a lot easier to see what's going on.) Anyway, I went to a stationary store and bought a 1/4" paper punch and a couple of gummed labels and puched out seven dots and stuck them neatly in the correct places. They looked fine (I did this a few years ago and never bothered to take the dots off. No one who has ever played the guitar has ever noticed they weren't "real" dots. One guy even said while playing it "I didn't know they made this model with fret-markers" and I said "they didn't, I just stuck 'em on" and explained. He looked closer and said "Wow, I never would have noticed." So anyway, there's another option. And they make sticky-paper in a lot of different colors, etc. If you're a real "purist" you could even take a paper label, buy a bottle of cheap pearl-white nail-polish, apply it to the paper, let it dry then use the paper puch to punch out some pearl-colored dots and then stick them on.

Whatever, I'd never let no-dots prevent me from buying a guitar I otherwise really liked.

<Pearl Dots

<Abalone Dots

Both come pre-cut and pre-finished in four or five common drill sizes. The prices range from fifty-cents to sixty-nine cents each.

BTW, i like the Darkness one too.

0e5efacb-b8f0-4d66-9f87-bd9292db5751_zps

Harry Allen on you bitch, I believe no hype.

#3 count crunkula

count crunkula

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Original Name: count crunkula

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

Just use a sharpie on the existing dots if you want black. I wouldn't have thought this was a good idea but after reading the above post it seems not so bad.

#4 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,996 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

I treat question 3 with the contempt it deserves. I spit on it. pah!!

#5 OneLostGuitarist

OneLostGuitarist
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • Location:Inside a rubber room, I have advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage.
  • Original Name: OneLostGuitarist

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 11 2007, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow I'm glad your not french you would've farted in my general direction laugh2.gif monty python got to love it

(Nater11) How did your project turn out? So if I glued the paper dots on there wouldn't the string scratch them off when I do a bend? I have medium frets when I bend the string scrap the fretboardand. if I drill them out the thing I'm worried about is getting them back in level

Edited by OneLostGuitarist, 11 April 2007 - 05:49 PM.

#6 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:38 AM

To do the job properly, you are going to have to use a drill press (or a drill press bracing in which a regular power drill can fit into. Use a double cutting blade in this case to get a smoother cut (The one without the screw-like thing on the tip). Use a regular battery-drill for the sides.
Or just have no dots. It took me a while to get used to my new classical guitar without dots (kind of embarrassing not being able to play it when trying them out in the store!). Good classical guitars don't usually have any position markings. The only markings you really need is the 12th fret and up. (Or just have them on the side of the neck).
The only time I would paint over the headstock is if I made it myself. If I had a Fender Strat and someone payed me to paint over it, I still wouldn't do it.

What would be a really good title if you were to paint over it would be:

PROPERTY OF (Your name here)
DO NOT USE UNLESS AUTHORISED!

Or something along those lines.
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#7 nate.

nate.

Ay, yo, this rap is like ziti.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,546 posts
  • Original Name: Nater11

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (OneLostGuitarist @ Apr 11 2007, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 11 2007, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow I'm glad your not french you would've farted in my general direction laugh2.gif monty python got to love it

(Nater11) How did your project turn out? So if I glued the paper dots on there wouldn't the string scratch them off when I do a bend? I have medium frets when I bend the string scrap the fretboardand. if I drill them out the thing I'm worried about is getting them back in level

I actually didnt do the project. There was a certain guitar i was looking at but it didnt have any fret markers and that kind of bothered me, so i asked what i could to about it in another forum, and thats the response i got. But, im sure dadfad would be more than happy to answer any other questions you had about that. That was his original post up there, not mine. He's had some experience in that field, so dont be shy to drop him a message. (sorry for kinda volunteering you on that one, tongue.gif )

0e5efacb-b8f0-4d66-9f87-bd9292db5751_zps

Harry Allen on you bitch, I believe no hype.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...